Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #1

Green Sports Car 100 mpg faster than Ferrari

Not sure if this has been posted before but...

They've sold out their first wave of $100K electric cars and hope to sell as many as 10,000 a year. The car's are assembled by Lotus in England,
Norway built chasis, Thai batteries and braking from Germany.

Boss of the Company is the guy who sold Paypal and made $300M on the deal.
Elon Musk is also into space exlporation and is putting together the first franchise style effort to put solar panels on houses.
http://www.solarcity.com/

http://www.teslamotors.com/

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #2

There was an article in the McPaper yesterday:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-06-05-gm-shareholders_N.htm?csp=34

Click on the photo gallery -- nice looking cars.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #3

Nice looking car. Looks allot like a regular Lotus. I wonder what it sounds like. I would miss the growl of a high performance engine.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #4

^Just turn up the radio, its all about the G forces anyway.

I bet you if they started a racing series where they ran the cars as long as they would go on one charge at maximum speed it would attract a ton of attention. Or maybe they could have a quick pit stop where they just tossed out the cell and put in a new one...like a refueling.
Not to mention speed development of the cars reliability and performance.

Although I wouldn't count on any Oil Industry sponsors...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #5

GM seems pretty serious about producing the Volt...

Hopefully they'll have it out around the time I pay off the Boxster, then I'll buy a Volt to use as a commuter car. The Box will be my fun car!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Nice looking car. Looks allot like a regular Lotus. I wonder what it sounds like. I would miss the growl of a high performance engine.

I think the pin-your-butt-to-the-seat 0-60 time of 4 seconds would make up for the lack of engine growl.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #7

"I wonder what it sounds like. I would miss the growl of a high performance engine."

There was a PBS/Lion's Gate show called Scientific Investigations were they did a story on one of the cars -- the car didn't really have the engine sound you would expect. Of course, you never know -- Sony put in a digitized sterotypical "clicking" shutter sound on my digital camera.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #8

you know that's an excellent Idea^

a fake throttle activated intake/exhaust note could be added to the electric car.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Some really bright people are building this car and if it is turns out to be half as good as they want us to believe, it will be a winner. I like it a lot. One was on display in San Diego last week but I missed it.

My brother is thinking seriously about getting one. If he does we'll find out if it can really run with the P cars.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
There are couple of things that stick out with the car being impractical;

-Only 200 miles before a recharge isn't acceptable for me,the closest auto-x place is 160 miles road trip,that leaves me with 40 miles of fun,but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get a full 40 while I'm auto-xing.

-No matter how hard they try,they will never produce anything that will match the TRUE sound of a car's engine. I've seen a Pimp My Ride episode where they installed some sound gizmo to try and make a van sound like an Austin Martin......
Besides,just the fact that I know it's simulated will take away from the fun.

-Plugging in cords to charge/maintain stuff is a pain. I only plug my battery maintainer in if I know the car is going to sit for near a week+,I don't like getting the extension cord out,plugging in stuff,then hooking up the maintainer and then leaving a cable running across the garage floor.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #11

"There are couple of things that stick out with the car being impractical;"

*L* You're right. I forget, sometimes, how practical Boxster owners are -- like having a spare car in case it rains, or the effort put forth to "store" a Boxster for winter. Personally, I think it is a great idea for these cars. Of course, I don't think it is practical (for me) to spend $100k on a car.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #12

Very interesting. I think we are looking at the future, whether we like it or not.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
There are couple of things that stick out with the car being impractical;

1-Only 200 miles before a recharge isn't acceptable for me,the closest auto-x place is 160 miles road trip,that leaves me with 40 miles of fun,but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get a full 40 while I'm auto-xing.

2-No matter how hard they try,they will never produce anything that will match the TRUE sound of a car's engine. I've seen a Pimp My Ride episode where they installed some sound gizmo to try and make a van sound like an Austin Martin......
Besides,just the fact that I know it's simulated will take away from the fun.

3-Plugging in cords to charge/maintain stuff is a pain. I only plug my battery maintainer in if I know the car is going to sit for near a week+,I don't like getting the extension cord out,plugging in stuff,then hooking up the maintainer and then leaving a cable running across the garage floor.

Itemized:

1. It's limited range and requires a relatively long charge, that's for sure. For the Tesla, they should come out with something like this - a generator on a trailer. Connect it to the car to power and recharge the car while on longer road trips. Similar things have been done with other EVs. The Chevrolet Volt will actually have a generator onboard, although the car won't be a 'performance' car, just a commuter.

2. You don't buy an EV for 'engine sound'. Asinine thing to bring up when talking about an EV. Oh, and it's ASTON Martin, not Austin. (Astons are sexy fockin cars... I test drove one once)

3. You plug in your cell phone, right? Major hassle! You plug in your laptop, right? MAJOR hassle! I think the tradeoff is this - you plug your car in (how often depends on how much you drive) at home instead of having to stop at the gas station every so often.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
2. You don't buy an EV for 'engine sound'. Asinine thing to bring up when talking about an EV. Oh, and it's ASTON Martin, not Austin. (Astons are sexy fockin cars... I test drove one once)
I knew I was spelling it wrong and it was only a matter of time before someone called me out on it.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I knew I was spelling it wrong and it was only a matter of time before someone called me out on it.
hehehe

Have you ever sat in a newer Aston? The interiors are FREAKISHLY beautiful!! They have THE nicest interior I've ever seen. And the sound when they start... oh man, it's awesome!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #16

I agree, the an Aston would surely be on my list of have to have cars when the right combo of ping pong balls come up!