View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #16
Brucelee

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
^ agree 100%

even if she drives her MR2/Miata safely, the bone heads on the highways are an ever present threat. And I don't about your area but around here I regularly see the SUV's going well over 80mph. That's 4 tons of massive momentum waiting to flip over on top of that tuna fish can of a Mazda/Toyota roadster.

Its not all bad, Miatas, MR2 are pretty good during rollovers. A friend's sister rolled his miata and she walked away fine, of course they were both wearing their seatbelts.
But Miatas, MR2s vs. Boxster, BMW Z4, S2000, EOS in the crash worthyness department is another matter altogether. A 986 Boxster is basically a Carrera from the seats forward and behind the seats its a substantial car if impacted from behind. The decibel levels in Miatas and MR2 clue you into how thinly constructed the cars are.

I've had several friends die in auto wrecks, one very recently and memorial day weekend another was in a bad crash with a drunk driver and is still in the hospital. The crash worthyness of a daily driven car should always be primary consideration.
Good points. The NHTSB would agree with you and have taken a position against increasing mandatory MPG standards.

Their position is clear: Lighter cars cost lives.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote