Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #1

timing chain like noise centered at oil crankcase

Need a little help. I have a 1999 boxster with 80K miles (bought it used about a year ago). I just got a noticable timing chain like noise at idle and increases when accelerating. I used the old wooden pole trick to listen where it appears to originate and it centered at the oil plug. The noise reminds me of a timing chain failure I had once with a Toyota Celica I used to own. It eventually cracked the timing case cover.
I don't have much spare time to tackle it on my own and may have to bring it to (excuse me) 'Porsche' before something bad happens.
The car has been running decently since I bought it and had to only replace the coolant tank in the trunk. I think my luck is running out. Has anyone experience this?

jbox53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #2

Garage
Cracked oil pick-up tube? Had similar noise on my 968 and that was the culprit.

Last edited by rob76turbo; 08-21-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: fix typo
rob76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #3

If possiable I would send it to Jake in cleveland. He is only an hour from you and his rates are cheaper than the dealer. Better work as well in my opinion.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Engine Surgeon

Can you post an audio file of this??What oil are you running? When did this pop up? Was it a slow progression, or did it just happen suddenly?
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Fred Demara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
If possiable I would send it to Jake in cleveland. He is only an hour from you and his rates are cheaper than the dealer. Better work as well in my opinion.
This is the best advice, and it's a scenic drive.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Can you post an audio file of this??What oil are you running? When did this pop up? Was it a slow progression, or did it just happen suddenly?
Jake,
This happened suddenly. Sort of a deep metallic chain (clock ticking) when idling. Will get loud while driving. Subsides when engine not under load. (I'm not driving it anymore). I'm using Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30. The vehicle has had white smoke every once in a while on start up (normal I was told) but now appears to smoke more frequently. I'll send a audio file today.
Do you have a contact phone number? Like to discuss options with you.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #7

Timing CHain-Like noise centered at oil crankcase audio/video

Quote:

Here's the video/audio file on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4uLgTK-PKU
Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #8

I wouldn't run it any more after listening to the video. Needs to be checked out first.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Engine Surgeon

Ouch!!
The file isn't distinct enough for a remote diagnosis, but it certainly doesn't sound good.
Have you recently serviced the engine and used the Mobil oil that you mentioned in your post??

Contact us at info@flat6innovations.com and we'll be glad to work with you..

I definitely would not run that engine any more at all, that could be the IMS in early stages of failure, the whirring sound is something I am very concerned about
Old 08-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #10

timing chain noise centered at oil crankcase

Quote:
Ouch!!
The file isn't distinct enough for a remote diagnosis, but it certainly doesn't sound good.
Have you recently serviced the engine and used the Mobil oil that you mentioned in your post??

Contact us at info@flat6innovations.com and we'll be glad to work with you..

I definitely would not run that engine any more at all, that could be the IMS in early stages of failure, the whirring sound is something I am very concerned about

I know. Yes, as a matter of fact I changed my oil about two weeks ago. You have me wondering about the lite weight oil in the summertime but it seems like something broke/snapped like a cam chain tensioner....It's my primary vehicle and I drive it normally. I probably will attempt one more run to the dealer since they're 2 miles away as opposed to your place up north. I'm afraid I'll be spending alot of time waiting for a tow truck. Although I would enjoy the ride as Demara stated I don't think I'll make it. I'm thinking like cnavarro, ,maybe I can salvage this vehicle. Who knows maybe Porshe will quote me an amount that will be competive with obtaining a replacement engine.
The vehicle looks nice and shiny too bad it's not reliable.
Being a fairly new Porsche owner my
Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Engine Surgeon

Do not drive that car 2 miles!! Trying to limp the car anywhere could lead to a catastrophic failure, I see this happen ALL THE TIME!

The Dealer probably doesn't know what this is.. Their only recommendations for you will be engine replacement, more than likely, because they are parts changers...

It'll cost you more at the Dealer and you'll get less service... Dealership techs call me for information about the internals of these engines quite frequently because most have never accomplished more than resealing of cam covers...

I can have a tow truck dispatched to your location within minutes and they don't charge Atlanta prices.. People send me cars from all the way across the country, because no one locally understands their engine... You are local and you should take advantage of my location. Repairs and heavy internal maintenance that others have no experience with are my specialty.

What ever you do, DO NOT drive or run that car any longer!! Doing so, and trying to save a towing fee could compromise the entire engine. You MUST work from worst case scenario and nothing else.. Right now if the IMS bearing or a tensioner has gone bad we can save the engine, after a full blown failure we can't.

I was not asking about the oil due to the weight, I recently have found certain characteristics with a certain oil that has me very concerned in two different engines.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Do not drive that car 2 miles!! Trying to limp the car anywhere could lead to a catastrophic failure, I see this happen ALL THE TIME!

The Dealer probably doesn't know what this is.. Their only recommendations for you will be engine replacement, more than likely, because they are parts changers...

It'll cost you more at the Dealer and you'll get less service... Dealership techs call me for information about the internals of these engines quite frequently because most have never accomplished more than resealing of cam covers...

I can have a tow truck dispatched to your location within minutes and they don't charge Atlanta prices.. People send me cars from all the way across the country, because no one locally understands their engine... You are local and you should take advantage of my location. Repairs and heavy internal maintenance that others have no experience with are my specialty.

What ever you do, DO NOT drive or run that car any longer!! Doing so, and trying to save a towing fee could compromise the entire engine. You MUST work from worst case scenario and nothing else.. Right now if the IMS bearing or a tensioner has gone bad we can save the engine, after a full blown failure we can't.

I was not asking about the oil due to the weight, I recently have found certain characteristics with a certain oil that has me very concerned in two different engines.
Ok I'm convinced. please call me for tow to your place.

Last edited by jbox53; 12-18-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Ok I'm convinced. please call me for tow to your place.
770-845-5895.
I didn't mean to come across as pushy... I'll apologize in advance for my intensity :-)

I'll call you first thing Monday morning, or maybe tomorrow evening if I complete my weekend project early enough.

I look forward to assisting you.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #14

Quote:
I didn't mean to come across as pushy... I'll apologize in advance for my intensity :-)

I'll call you first thing Monday morning, or maybe tomorrow evening if I complete my weekend project early enough.

I look forward to assisting you.
No apology needed. I've dealt with this particular Porsche dealer before and have been slammed with bills and am not impressed with their service. The noise sounds serious to me and you pinged my technical conscience to urgency. You seem to have quite a following on the forum so I'll give you a try. Hey, I'm out of options at this point.
the sooner the better, tomorrow works for me if
thanks for the concern.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbox53
No apology needed. I've dealt with this particular Porsche dealer before and have been slammed with bills and am not impressed with their service. The noise sounds serious to me and you pinged my technical conscience to urgency. You seem to have quite a following on the forum so I'll give you a try. Hey, I'm out of options at this point.
the sooner the better, tomorrow works for me if
thanks for the concern.
I know the Dealer you are referring to...

Jhandy's car is here now, he shipped it here from Texas, so people do believe in us and what we have done with these engines..

We'll treat you right, we do things the old fashioned way :-)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
Engine Surgeon

The Boxster arrived at my facility a few minutes ago.. I just finished a piston installation procedure, so I am headed downstairs now to get it onto the lift and diagnose the sound.. I fired it up very briefly and heard the noise straight away. Now comes the fun part.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
The Boxster arrived at my facility a few minutes ago.. I just finished a piston installation procedure, so I am headed downstairs now to get it onto the lift and diagnose the sound.. I fired it up very briefly and heard the noise straight away. Now comes the fun part.
Good to hear.....or maybe not. Hopefully damage will be at minimum.
By the way, the Griffin driver was a pleasure to deal with, as you stated.
I'll keep my fingers crossed. thanks.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #18
Engine Surgeon

Glad you had a good experience with the tow company, they have been towing cars for me for years...

I have a good idea the noise is the IMS bearing, but I am awaiting a second opinion from a bearing test device that we have at our disposal. If the noise isn't the IMS it may be the IMS drive chain, something that can't be remedied without a full tear down. It could also be the oil pump as it is also driven from the IMS, opposite the bearing end.

The jury is still out, I'll sleep on it and get back with you in the morning.. The good news is it hasn't had a catastrophic failure, so I can repair it.

Last edited by Jake Raby; 08-24-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #19

While my heart goes out to jbox's wallet, I must say, this is the most exciting thread I've seen on 986forum!

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Engine Surgeon

I have a definitive on the root of the sound.. It's multi-faceted.

You have two things going on:

- Bad water pump bearing
- IMS bearing is beginning to go south

The water pump is the rumbling part of the sound, the IMS is the whirring sound.. I disconnected the serpentine belt after I used a stethoscope to listen to the water pump housing and hearing a rumbling sound... With that disconnected the rumble was gone but the whirring sound was more defined.

The IMS flange is leaking also.. You also have a pair of leaky cam covers and a few cracked coil packs along with at least one bad chain tensioner.

I'll go a little further in the morning, but a few hours this afternoon has proven that it's repairable.