Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 04:27 AM   #1

water under seat solved!

For readers of this forum who notice wet carpet and have open drains, here is another item to check. If you open the convertible top half way, you will see fabric from the top snaps into 2 plastic holders. This allows proper flow of water from the top to each of the rear drains. If the fabric is not inserted correctly, water will flow into the padding behind the carpet behind the driver and passager seat and eventually under each seat. This was the problem I was having. No more problems after simply snapping the top back into proper position. Thought people with wet carpets might be interested.

Eric K

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #2

Good discovery ! I have to go and check mine. Thanks
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #3

That is good info. It also reminded me to clean out all my drains today.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #4

I know exactly what you are talking about, however I did not know it was so instrumental in terms of its role in maintaining proper water drainage.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #5

I was aware of the two plastic clips, as you mentioned, but I have another problem; the one on the driver's side of the car is broken off. I purchased (actually, the dealer gave it to me) another one, but upon installation, I see the stud this sits on is actually broken off. I guess I have a couple of options; my car is garaged at all times and rarely sees rain, so I could do nothing. Option two would be to drill out the old stud and put a bolt through to hold the clip. It's funny, I didn't notice this as I don't put the top in service position very often.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:42 AM   #6

I would figure out some way to attach the convertible top to the drivers side clip. This was the clip that was disconnected on my car which caused the water leak under the carpet.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:58 AM   #7

I guess I'll have to do the drill thing when I get some free time. About the only time my car sees water is when I wash it.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #8

Had water behind my seat this morning and while trying to check my drain holes and foam pans noticed this same issue. It was all I found wrong so I am hoping this resolves my issue.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #9

This was not my only issue apparently as I have more water in the car this morning.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #10

Spyder, check the foam pan for cracks or tears. That was the cause of my leal... I just sealed the tear with automotive Goop.

cheers,
Ayan
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7L Tiptronic - Lapis Blue Metallic (gone)
orange260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #11

I did find a tear in the foam on the driver's side which I repaired as best I could with duck tape and marine silicone. I had a real hard time getting my hand in there so I'm not 100% sure its fixed.

I did clean and retreat my top today so prior to doing that I poured 2 cups of water on the top near the area where the water drains (spot right before the rear of the door jam) and so far so good, no water.

I am still looking for instructions or directions to remove the top though just in case.

Thanks,
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #12

spyder,

can you post a picture of what your repaired please.. i am getting water too not sure from where. drain holes are clean and the back part of the convertible top is clipped into place... if you could post the pictures of ur repair.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #13

Didn't think to take a picture at the time but I'll see if I can't find something to help.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #14

Okay, here is a picture I borrowed from someone else that was removing the top.

The tear went all the way from where I circled it in red to the front which if you line this up from outside the car you can see that this is a main area where water enters from the top.

Hope this helps:

I layed duck tape over the area as best as I could and then rubbed marine silicone over the tape. After a thirty minute wait I applied some additional silicone.

please ignore the extra e.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #15

Well we've been having a lot of severe weather lately with several inches of rain and wind gusts up to 60mph according to the news. So far the carpet under my driver's seat is staying dry so it looks like I have resolved my problem. :dance:
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #16

The best solution for all this water behind the seat is to buy a DD and leave the Porsche in the garage for pretty day driving!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #17

Well, don't get mad but the Box is my daily driver, the rest of my vehicles and my bike stay in the garage. I bought it specifically as a dd.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #18

Here it is, not sure why it dropped off.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:44 AM   #19

Garage
After a few days on severe downpours here in Holland with upto an inch of water collecting under the seats, I followed advice here and checked drains, correct positioning of the rear apron and tonneau cover gasket seals. All appeared in good order.. but the problem persisted.
Removed the entire soft top assembly (surprisingly uncomplicated) and after a bit of digging around found the two culprits:
Driver side: somebody before me poked a hole in the funnel directly underneath the drain point in the foam collection pan (the one that directs water into the drain tube). Thus allowing water to find a path to the lowest point in the car, ie. the pan under the seat. Luckily no electronics damaged.
Passenger side: A piece of foam about the size of a quarter had been punched out from the collection pan directly underneath the soft top base plate.
Also found a couple of other minor tares, all of which were resealed with gasket goop. Same for the funnel on the driver side.

Removed the seats and dried out the foam as much as possible with towels and have a couple of fans blowing from underneath the carpet, so problem should be solved.
flyingpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:46 PM   #20

I'm trying to figure out what this last post is referring to when they mention fabric from the convertible top snapping into 2 plastic holders. Can someone post a picture of this to show the detail. There is a flap of vinyl fabric that has a plastic channel attached to the back edge and runs side to side for about 48 inches. I dont see where this attaches. Can someone enlighten me?
Thanks
Scott

scottmar is offline   Reply With Quote