Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2026, 12:36 PM   #501
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 258
Follow up question. I’m stuck with 91 octane out here. Will my engine be able to utilize the increased air flow? My understanding is that engine has to pull timing slight to compensate for the lower octane.

__________________
2001 Boxster S | Triple Black | Stock 17s | Bilstein PSS9s | BAD Shifter | 6x40w Cabrio Amp | 986.2 muffler

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2026, 04:14 PM   #502
Registered User
 
redpepperracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
For the throttle pedal, as much as I would love to bring it to the market quickly… the last prototype I test myself wasn’t up to my liking (even though my guinea-pig loves it), and I made several changes to improve the movement of the pedal.
Rennline product is available and tested. I can’t compete for now :/ hopefully mid 2027

https://imgur.com/gallery/FVnLhJY#K3VckPV
https://imgur.com/gallery/FVnLhJY#qsWt8UB
Those imgur links don't work. I'll have to decide how badly I want to replace my pedal! I took it apart and added a couple of screws to hold the clips in place, it feels way more solid now, but I haven't actually driven it yet. It can probably wait for now.

Thanks!
Tom
__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster (check me out on Elferlog: https://www.elferlog.com/porsche/2000-986-boxster-2-7/72ec5afa-b31d-486c-a43f-8581530473d8)
2014 Meteor Gray Cayenne
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2026, 04:08 AM   #503
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Follow up question. I’m stuck with 91 octane out here. Will my engine be able to utilize the increased air flow? My understanding is that engine has to pull timing slight to compensate for the lower octane.
Yep, the DME does protect the engine that way through knock detection.
Though, improved airflow always mean more power potential.
So you start with less power, and end up with less than if you were using high octane fuel, but there should still be a gain !

Are you in California ? The part is not CARB legal, I don't know how badly that can affect you ?

Your order is received though and I'll pack it tonight after work
__________________
ASE certified Automotive Master Technician.
Porsche Tech in France.
www.benautodesign.fr
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 02:53 AM   #504
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepperracing View Post
Those imgur links don't work. I'll have to decide how badly I want to replace my pedal! I took it apart and added a couple of screws to hold the clips in place, it feels way more solid now, but I haven't actually driven it yet. It can probably wait for now.

Thanks!
Tom






Arh, was on my phone so I couldn't get the proper links...
__________________
ASE certified Automotive Master Technician.
Porsche Tech in France.
www.benautodesign.fr
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 04:59 AM   #505
Registered User
 
redpepperracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 333
Very nice! I wish it was available, I'd buy it right now!
__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster (check me out on Elferlog: https://www.elferlog.com/porsche/2000-986-boxster-2-7/72ec5afa-b31d-486c-a43f-8581530473d8)
2014 Meteor Gray Cayenne
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2026, 10:27 AM   #506
Registered User
 
redpepperracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 333
Just a thought, I have an OMP pedal cover, so it seems like a combination of your lower pivot hinge and the carbon plate plus the OMP cover would be most of the way to a set. Can you sell just those pieces?
__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster (check me out on Elferlog: https://www.elferlog.com/porsche/2000-986-boxster-2-7/72ec5afa-b31d-486c-a43f-8581530473d8)
2014 Meteor Gray Cayenne
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2026, 03:00 AM   #507
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 833
Can you show me ?

The part that block right now is the extended link in the back.
I'll work on it and get a proto soon as I have already plenty of stuff to have made !
__________________
ASE certified Automotive Master Technician.
Porsche Tech in France.
www.benautodesign.fr
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2026, 07:05 AM   #508
Registered User
 
redpepperracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 333
This is what I have now. Adding just your lower block, and some kind of attachment to the cable mechanism should be all I need.

__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster (check me out on Elferlog: https://www.elferlog.com/porsche/2000-986-boxster-2-7/72ec5afa-b31d-486c-a43f-8581530473d8)
2014 Meteor Gray Cayenne
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2026, 07:14 AM   #509
Registered User
 
redpepperracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 333
Getting back to the original thread topic, I dyno tested my car yesterday. To recap my setup I have the following:

Intake side:
- 987 airbox
- 987 BMC filter
- 987 intake tube and MAF
- 45 degree elbow
- 997 throttle body (74mm I think?)
- 987 modified distribution tube
- 996 plenum and runners

Exhaust side:
- 996 equal length headers
- 2 inch stainless tubes
- 2 inch high flow cats
- 2 inch valved mufflers

Other mods:
- AC delete
- Electric PS conversion
- Underdrive pulley

For tuning I am using an ApexI SAFC. AT WOT, my AFR is around 11:1 (logged with an AEM wideband), so I need to adjust that, but it's better to be rich than lean.

Here is the chart, blue is mufflers fully open, red is mufflers fully closed. I should have done a 'partial open run', but I didn't.



I'm pretty happy with the results, I'm basically at crank power, to the wheels. Without doing a lot more very invasive mods, aside from tuning the AFR, I don't think there is much more I can get out of this thing.
__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster (check me out on Elferlog: https://www.elferlog.com/porsche/2000-986-boxster-2-7/72ec5afa-b31d-486c-a43f-8581530473d8)
2014 Meteor Gray Cayenne

Last edited by redpepperracing; 09-22-2026 at 07:39 AM.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2026, 06:45 AM   #510
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 3,122
Mother****************er

How do you upload pictures?
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2026, 07:41 AM   #511
Registered User
 
redpepperracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Not sure who you are angry with. I added the image link to my post originally, I just edited it and re-added it and I can see it. It's possibly related to the SSL certificate expiry.

__________________
2000 Guards Red Boxster (check me out on Elferlog: https://www.elferlog.com/porsche/2000-986-boxster-2-7/72ec5afa-b31d-486c-a43f-8581530473d8)
2014 Meteor Gray Cayenne
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page