Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 05:02 AM   #21

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5150
Meant to add....

I'm sure that someone can help me on if this is truly fact or not - but didn't BMW brag about how their M3 race cars were almost completely stock?! So, it IS a race car - right.....?

- C5150
Ah, no they did not.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #22

news flash...its not about the boxster being a chick car, its about how much they love the look of the boxster. most women think my cars pretty dam sexy. my car looks mean, and no chick would look better in it then i

bmw's are chick cars
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 AM   #23

Quote:

"Ah, no they did not."

Originally Posted by Brucelee

Ah, yes they did. I believe that the M3 was designed to get into German Touring car racing - and had to be of a production line - with stock engine, etc..

And I know I watched a show on BMW racing, where the racing team spokesman specifically spoke to it being mostly stock - and how successfull this made sales due to the impressive wins the M3 took (mid or late '80's?). Surely this web-site has some experts on this stuff... Regardless Bruce - The M3 WAS built to race. I know it was.

- C5150
Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #24

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5150
Quote:

"Ah, no they did not."

Ah, yes they did. I believe that the M3 was designed to get into German Touring car racing - and had to be of a production line - with stock engine, etc..

And I know I watched a show on BMW racing, where the racing team spokesman specifically spoke to it being mostly stock - and how successfull this made sales due to the impressive wins the M3 took (mid or late '80's?). Surely this web-site has some experts on this stuff... Regardless Bruce - The M3 WAS built to race. I know it was.

- C5150
The GT3 was built to do nothing but race. The M car CAN be raced and is. It is a vastly different car. Go buy a GT3 and use it everday to commute to work.

Good luck with that!

And then there is that price difference!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #25

Quote:

"Go buy a GT3 and use it everday to commute to work.

Good luck with that!"

Whoa....

Listen - I mean to have no beef here, ok? You mentioned that it would be silly to compare the M3 to a GT3. I didn't - just took a different approach to the comparison I guess.

You are right - huge price difference, and the daily driver aspect would be interesting. The GT3 could be a daily driver though. She's street legal - so someone feels it's not just for racing. Don't think they need sat/nav on the race track either....

All I am saying, is that the M3 was built for racing originally. And thus - I still see them in the same class. Opposite sides of the spectrum - sure. Better cars to compare the M3 with - sure. But none-the-less, both are production cars built with racing performance in mind.

- C5150
Old 12-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #26

i don't care if the bmw is a race car or not. i think they drive like ****************. i got to dirive one to new york city, about 8 hour drive from where i live. i hated every second of it. first gear sucked, and i don't find the exterior gorgeous. put the boxster next to the m3 and i think everyone will flock to see the boxster. worst part was that my friend got to drive the porsche 911 and i got stuck driving the m3. he loved every second of it. this trip occured wayyy before i was even a porsche owner and at the time probably never even thought that i would ever own a porsche.

lets talk about the m5, now that's a beast. i drove one of those dinan tunned pumping 600h.p wowwwwwww. best car i have ever driven.
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Roadster
i don't care if the bmw is a race car or not. i think they drive like ****************.
Did you just have spinal surgery or something? That would make it crappy I assume. What year M3 did you drive? To say an M3 drives like [poop] goes against everything I've ever experienced whilst driving, riding in, heard, or read about the M3. It strikes me as odd, or extreme that you would think that (unless you're just exaggerating).

Quote:
i got to dirive one to new york city, about 8 hour drive from where i live. i hated every second of it. first gear sucked...
You should have shifted out of 1st. Plus it would have made the trip quicker. ;-)

Quote:
...put the boxster next to the m3 and i think everyone will flock to see the boxster.
The Boxster looks good, but the M gets deserves more credit than you might realize. It's a very good looking car! This is just my opinion, but there are certain angles (1 actually, side profile) where I don't love the looks of the 986. I think an M3 looks great from every angle. Could I afford an M3, IT would be in the body shop right now, and not my Boxster.

Quote:
lets talk about the m5, now that's a beast. i drove one of those dinan tunned pumping 600h.p wowwwwwww. best car i have ever driven.
Yes, the M5 is quite the beast. What year M5 did you drive? The acceleration on that vehicle is endless and dangerous on the highway! A bit on the heavy side, but a supercar of a sedan (saloon) if you ask me.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
boxster is the best roadster you can buy, so guy or a girl, if you like roadsters you buy one.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #29

Quote:

"boxster is the best roadster you can buy, so guy or a girl, if you like roadsters you buy one."

Originally Posted by djomlas

Amen brother

- C5150
Old 12-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #30

I think there is some over-generalization going on here about the M3. Yes, the original M3 (1980s e30) was produced to homologate the car for racing, but with subsequent versions (1990s e36 and '00s e46) only modified special edition versions were ever used for racing, and those sparingly.

If you've driven them, then you realize how different they are. I'd personally consider the original e30 to be the most impressive considering that it's final spec was a 238 hp 4-banger and the acceleration felt brutal back in the day (college roommate had one). It was the first "sports" car I ever got to drive.

The U.S. version of the e36 version isn't remotely acquainted with a modern definition of fast as it's heavy and has only 240 hp. It tends to get dissed by M enthusiasts

The e46 is a great car as a coupe, but as Perfectlap says, with the roof removed becomes a barge. The e46 coupe is about the same as the 987S performance wise but as a convertible it's best used for hauling around in style. M3 coupe vs. 987 S numbers for 0-60 and the 'Ring are 4.8 / 5.2 and 8:22 / 8:18.

I'm as excited as everyone else to see what the new 8 cylinder M3 will be like. Considering that the 335i is a badass car the M3 could be truly frightening.

I'm going to have to agree with Jeph, although it's obviously a subjective call, but I think one would really have to scrunch up the eyes to consider the 986 a better looking car than an e46 m3 convertible.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 12-21-2006 at 08:51 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #31

SD - really appreciate your knowledge of the M3. Just thought a comparison could be made regardless of retail cost... Both the M3 and GT3 are designed for the street - just had the competition folks behind them. And the main difference in the competition classes I believe is that the M3 is in the GT2S class for sedans - and the GT3 is in the GT2 class. But you may know better then I.

And agree with both you and Perfectlap on the convertible. I just don’t see how anyone would buy it over the coupe. Perhaps I could have described my feelings a little better then calling it too girlee (but still think it is the chickiest of the performance rides).

I'm ready to put this discussion to bed though... but had to mention, I was in the Porsche shop today when they received their first '07 GT3 to the showroom. The car is incredible.

Now then - you mentioned the new 335i. And you are dead on right. That is one hot beast of a car. And much sexier too. I have a friend that is looking at getting one in the Spring - and can't wait to take it on a spin.

- C5150