Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 06:51 PM   #121
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Waiting for the title...
The car is running great, but I can't drive it anywhere yet. I had thought the Tag Agency was going to hold my title application until I returned to get the rebuilt title, but they went ahead and sent it in for an Oklahoma Salvage title. It usually takes about a week for the new title to arrive, but this one is taking longer.

I took care of a few minor issues, but I don't want to do anything major until after I put some miles on it. I replaced the secondary O2 sensors and air injection pump, cleaned and lubed the brake light switch, then installed the matched lock tumbler in the door. Everything was smooth and easy except the lock tumbler.

I had to remove the door latch assembly from the inside of the door to get the old lock tumbler out. It's a kind of tight fit for big hands. While trying to pull the lock mechanism out, I inadvertently held the lock lever to the unlock position, causing the windows to automatically go down (a special feature on the Boxsters). At first, I had no idea why the window was going down, but knew that I could shed a few fingers if the window pressed them against the sharp metal edge of the frame. I barely got my hand out in time and only lost a little skin.
***Safety Tip: The first step is always "Disconnect the battery."***

The car is back out of the garage and covered. I start a week of day shifts on Wednesday and really hope to get the title before then. I have plenty of slack time at work, but can't be more than a couple minutes away from my office. If I drive it to work, I can give it a good cleaning and drop it off at the tire shop across the street for a new pair of rear tires.
For now, we just sit and wait.

Last edited by 78F350; 02-24-2018 at 08:12 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #122

It's been awhile since an update. I'm more specifically interested in how the claim on the carrier is going? I just bought a cayman for a friend and it showed up with damage. The carrier is blaming the insurance auction but I'm 75% sure he did it.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #123

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
... I'm more specifically interested in how the claim on the carrier is going?
My claim for the damaged bumper and tail pipe is finally paying. I have half the money and expect the rest on Friday. I paid a little over $700 for the shipping and figured my cost to do the repairs myself would be about the same. The shipper decided to pay me directly rather than go through insurance. No doubt the claim could have been well over $1,000 if done through the insurance and he still would have had to pay the deductible.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #124

Garage
Sometimes I just don't listen well...

I have been waiting for the title for about a month now. It normally takes less than a week. Something is wrong. The first time I went to the Tag Agency, I didn't quite hear them right. They told me that the Title would be on hold until I brought the car in to have the VIN and mileage verified. I thought they told me they were going to hold the title until I brought the car back to verify the repairs. So... when I brought the car in to have the repairs verified, they told me that I needed the Oklahoma salvage title first. Instead of looking at the car to verify the VIN, they sent me home to wait for the title – which wasn't going to be sent until they verified the VIN. My wife has said that I'm deaf in my left ear and just don't listen with my right.

Today I got the title released and it may be here as early as Friday. Then, finally I can drive the car. I drove it to the Tag Agency today to show them the VIN. I think that I could have been stopped by the police and ticketed for being unregistered. The ticket, noting the VIN of my car and signed by local law enforcement would have also served as documentation to get my title released and I would be fine with that.

I took the steering wheel airbag to a local shoe and boot repair shop. This guy has been in the business of leatherwork for many decades. He had plenty of high end cowboy boots to keep busy with and didn't want to take the airbag as a job. He was happy to check it over and had a lot of questions about the car. He told me to come back with a bottle and gave me some of his special glue. Wouldn't let me pay anything.
Herman's Boot & Shoe Repair:

Dirty cars. Finally I have some time and good weather tomorrow to clean them up.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #125
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Sometimes I just don't listen well...
... My wife has said that I'm deaf in my left ear and just don't listen with my right.
Yeah, sounds familiar, my wife sometimes says it could be "selective hearing"...no clue what my sweetheart is talking about
Old 03-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #126

My suggestion for the 50th plate is "other"
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #127
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
My suggestion for the 50th plate is "other"
or maybe OR
Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #128

Garage
Tagged.

Video: https://youtu.be/v1XNsmwhqtI

The salvage title arrived in the mail today! I took that to the Tag Agency and quickly filed for my rebuilt title and got the car registered. (Custom plates will take about 3 months to get in Oklahoma.) Now I can daily-drive the car around town for a while to get a better feel for it and sort out some of the minor issues.

Getting ready to drive, the first thing I noticed was that the PS pump was noisy. I checked the dipstick and it was dry. I expect there's a leak in the tubing, but for today, I just topped it off.

My first stop was a car wash. Up till now, I have just rinsed the car with a hose. It was good to give it a full wash. There's a long way to go still with a 'macro view' before I focus on detailing.

Driving felt good. Just a lap on the bypass around town, then a run through the undeveloped industrial area. At one point, as I was a little side-ways on dirt, the PSM and ABS warning lights came on. I tried to reset, but the came right back when I started the car. Quick analysis showed a bad fuse. I had put a 7.5 amp where a 25 amp should be (E9). ...I'm needing reading glasses more often than I admit.

It arrived with vinyl headlight covers installed, and I have them back on now. Until I get the car in shape, they are probably going to stay on. The covers aren't pretty, but underneath, the headlight lenses look new.
I've been looking at tires. The rears need to be replaced. I'm probably going to go with FFI500
and keep the Michelins on the front for a while still. I feel bad about mixing tires, but its purely a street car and I'm going to go with the Firestones all around when the Michelins start to wear.
The SE muffler and tip should be shipped later this week. Shipping that kind of stuff affordably isn't easy. I've talked the seller through how to pack it and I'm emailing him a FedEx label from my account.

Last edited by 78F350; 03-12-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #129

Garage
Looking great, glad to see good progress
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:18 AM   #130

I think it's awesome how you've brought it back to life!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #131

Garage
What a great story...can’t wait for the next chapter.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #132

Garage
I like your tire choice. Mine are still good, but I'd like to hear how they work for you.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #133
MWS

Kudos (as always) with your progress, and what a difference from the original posted pics of the car!

Just a thought...have you considered contacting the previous owner? If I owned this car and had to let it go due to flood damage, I would love to know that someone cared enough to bring it back rather than scrap it out. Who knows, they might even want it back...with a healthy profit in your pocket of course.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #134

Thanks for the update, it looks great! Did you get the muffler and tip from the PCA classifieds?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #135

Garage
MWS, It would be fun to contact the previous owner to let him know what has happened to the car, but I have no interest in letting it go. It's MY baby now.

PaulE, Yes, that is the muffler. Lance's first shipping quote was about $200. Our current plan will cost about $50.

I drove it to work this evening and spent a couple hours on basic cleaning of door jams, the rollbar, and leather. The brakes are still shedding enough rust/dust that the wheels don't stay clean long. The car getting better, but with the soaking, dirt got everywhere. It will need a good pull-apart cleaning to get it where I want it. The current floor mats are just extras I had. I plan to get Coco Mats for it when I'm finished with the major work.

I've found that the car has a fairly significant leak from the power steering rack. After looking it up in the service manual, there are no procedures to repair the rack other than replace it. I'm glad that the parts car I picked up has a good rack. I'll probably keep topping it off and drive it for the next several days, then swap it out next week. I have about 100 miles on the car now and I'd like at least 200 (even better, 500) before I garage it again for more checks, and service.

Last edited by 78F350; 03-16-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #136

Looks great
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #137

Nice progress! thumpsup!
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #138

Nice work and I'm glad you are able to enjoy it!

Perfect time of the year.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #139

Really enjoying the thread and the videos on Youtube! You've seemed to cover the big stuff, good luck on all the little things that will drive you crazy.

U R a braver soul than I would be--tho the job of drying it out would be simplified by the dry air, sun, etc of the Northern Sonora Desert.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:55 AM   #140

This was a pleasure to follow and view (youtube videos). Hard work pays off and this is no exception. My commendation on the dedication my friend!

PorscheExotica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 s , flood , restore , salvage , special edition