Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-d View Post
Finally got around to getting it up in the air.

Got the pan off and swapped in the EBS motorsport baffle. Worth the reasonable price for a bit more protection in steady state cornering.

It is a tight fit, and i dint like the pressure exerted by the foam pad on the side dams to the front side of the pan as its a thin aluminum casting, so i removed the foam from the top of these dams and cleaned off the adhesive.

Managed this with a minimum of swearing and no blood. I am amazed.

Tomorrow brakes.
I did this upgrade earlier this year with the exact same baffles (EBS) and had the same problem on my 02 Boxster 3.2. I ended up removing the rubber edging (foams) on the top of both side dams just like you did. The sump plate would not fit correctly otherwise... I do hope that this does not reduce the efficiency of the "holding" or "sealing" too much.

I also now have a 2 quart Accusump with full filtration remote oil filter setup installed and I hope the combination of the EBS baffle and Accusump will greatly mitigate the effects of oil starvation on our wet sump systems... Was also thinking of upgrading to the 987/997 oil cooler (taller) for reduced oil temps at the track. I don't think a 2 quart deep sump (or any deep sump) is a good idea especially for a track car. I'm not a fan of having the sump being lower than the rest of the undercarriage, much less with a lowered suspension. Dry sump would be the best (Chris Cervelli) https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/981880-boxster-dry-sump-system.html

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 08-15-2017 at 12:14 PM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #22

Thanks for the inputs -

Glad to hear I am not alone in removing the foam on the EBS unit.

Will consider strongly the deeper sump as well.

For HDPE this year I am going to run on pilot sports and OEM suspension as I want to learn the car and its balance in a raw form. I did brakes and some of the other things to make sure it can survive the day.

Next steps will be deciding how far I want to go with suspension. I want to baseline the car to understand what changes I would like before jumping in. Have done that in the past and didnt end up where I wanted because I didnt really know where I was starting from.

The pulley and engine details are a good idea as well. I may get to those this winter.
eric-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #23

for anyone interested in girodiscs (not me) ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace/1010342-girodisc-2-piece-rotors-front-and-rear-for-996-997-a.html
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #24

For my deep sump I went with the Mantis Sport Oil Sump Extension Kit 1 based on my Indy's recommendation. It doesn't hang down much lower than the stock sump, and adds 1.2 liters of oil which Mantis says allows the air in the oil to dissipate before it is picked up by the oil pump.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #25

Thanks for the rec Paul. Definitely on the list.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #26

BTW - on a cosmetic note, when the wheels were off i used this handy tool to clean the lug sockets. Probably old news here but worth a post.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-d View Post
BTW - on a cosmetic note, when the wheels were off i used this handy tool to clean the lug sockets. Probably old news here but worth a post
It's news to me-what is it called so I can search for it? Happy to throw in my $0.02 on the sump. I met a guy at an HPDE that got a rod knock in his 997 due to oil starvation on the track and saw a guy with a 987 at another HPDE get a low oil pressure warning out on the track and then have to borrow a trailer to get his car home. In my case though, it will be a long while, if ever, before I am cornering at G's that will cause oiling issues! (Beginner on street tires, stock brakes, stock ROW M030 suspension.)
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #28

Got it at griots garage, seems a silly thing and then used it and wouldnt do it another way

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/drill-operated+lug+nut+cleaning+brush.do?sortby=ourPicks &refType=&from=fn
Old 08-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #29

OK so thats a bit frustrating - I knew the Sparco seats wee going to be a tight fit, but the way the adaptor bracket places the seat belt and the width of the seats means they are nearly impossible.

I damn near stripped threads on the seat mount bolts trying to test fit one, and best case they wont slide to end of travel rearward for contact to tunnel and sill.

Back to drawing board.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #30

I am thinking that fitting these Sparcos leaves too many compromises for me.

I would prefer a set of the Porsche sport seats. Anyone have a set to trade?
Old 10-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #31

Last Trackday of the year. Loved how it drove, and putting together next steps to get it closer to where I want it to be over winter

Old 10-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #32
Registered Abuser

Garage
Great work!

What track were you running at, and did they require a rollbar extension?
Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #33

Waterford Hills in Michigan. No extension required as long as factory hoops are solid and bolted/welded to vehicle (not flip up style crash activated type)

Was wet for half of day and was a great chance to work on balance in low grip condition.

Dried out for afternoon and got a chance to try different lines and approaches to same sections.

Gave me a good Idea what i can do to help the car and how I can be better with it
Old 04-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #34

Winter is over and time to dust off the car and get ready for more track days.

I have some plans for changes I want to make but first thing to work with is the alignment.

I got the car up on ramp blocks, and made turn plates out of abs plastic with motor oil between. A little redneck but works well. Just have to be careful with getting the tire to come down on block and center the plastic plates so there is room to slide around a bit.

I use the smart string system which has always treated me very well.

First image shows that i loosened the 3 nuts on the front shock tower and pushed the strut inboard as far as will go. then get bolts torqued down again. This needs to happen with front wheel in air an unloaded. This gives as much front negative camber as possible without cutting the lots longer or using a camber plate.

Next went on smart strings and i got the back end in the standard S alignment, which is fine on these tires as I didnt have a rear grip concern
The front is at max stock neg camber and I set the toe to effectively 0. no toe in/out. As expected the the vehicle responds much better , and I will get feedback on front end grip improvement and understeer reduction at next day on track.

oiled ABS turn plates on stand:

ericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #35

I like your home mechanic turn plates. While a tiny bit redneck it's still pretty damn clever.

Look forward to hearing about your track day results.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #36

More than a tiny bit redneck, but would only be full redneck if I was holding a beer while making them
Old 05-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #37

Last bit swapped before first track day this year.

Grabbed a Top Speed 2nd cat delete stainless pipe set. I usually am wary of parts from SE Asia, but these fit right and gave me no problem on install, so lets see if they hold up in running. I replaced the kit hardware with some stainless units, and these pipes sit unshielded a bit closer to the CV boot. I may do a local heat shield wrap to protect them.

As most know, using these pipes sheds a small amount of weight, and helps the sound be a bit more basso on the bottom and angry at the top. The idle dosent change much so in town it isnt annoying, and I havent had a resonance yet. At some point I may consider a muffler unit, as i could shed more weight, but this suits my needs at the moment.

replacement pipe -

vs OE 2nd cat:

In place:

All done. Not the easiest job on jackstands, but some patience and long extension for the 13mm will get it done

Old 06-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #38

Garage
Any updates on the brake mods?
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #39

Brakes are fantastic. Really the strongest part of the car on track, and any driving really.

Really powerful from tip-in and can modulate right up to ABS point. Dust is minimal for the hard use i have given them and no squeals.

If I do an R-comp tire I may bump up to a full competition pad which I know will squeal and dust off for street use.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #40

Popped in a proper seat for this track season as well. All the difference in the world.