Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #201

http://youtu.be/2BEkYNsWmFg the smoke is from the paint on the muffler getting baked for the first time. So far I'm thinking I really digging the sound. It has a very clear tone to it. It's kind of Indy car/rice rocket sounding in away. Doesn't seem to have any drone and throttle response seems quicker.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qN4zbWMhMMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qN4zbWMhMMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by itsnotanova; 05-25-2016 at 04:40 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:51 AM   #202

Hello Woody,

looks very nice and i think it also sounds good. So we need a dyno and a drone test and than please let us know when the serial production starts.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:41 AM   #203

https://youtu.be/qN4zbWMhMMo

Can anyone see the embedded video?

Last edited by itsnotanova; 05-25-2016 at 05:03 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 AM   #204

This is what I see...
Old 05-25-2016, 05:39 AM   #205

Hello Woody,

i think it sounds very good. Not too loud, but loud enough – like a Porsche should sound like.

Embedding seems not to work, but here are 2 links:
From the outside: https://youtu.be/qN4zbWMhMMo
From the inside: https://youtu.be/kxJ-JqeXzSw

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 05-25-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #206

Weird, embedding seems to not be working in some threads, very odd...

This is a very cool video though!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #207
Okinawa986

Thanks for sharing your pics and education Woody.
Checked out the YouTubes and the exhaust sounds great inside and out.
Can't see the embedded video but the link works.
Attached a screen grab so you can see what I see...

Thanks again Woody for sharing your build.
Respectfully,
Mitchell
DRGETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #208

Hello Woody,

i have a question when looking at you pictures. How did you install the triangular plate below the transmission? Is that still possible with that exhaust system?

Regards, Markus
Old 05-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #209

Thanks guys for the compliments. I'm surprised at how well everything went together and performed. My butt dyno says there's a substantial increase in power from 1000-3000rpm and slight increase after that. The sound tone and level was exactly what I wanted. Like Markus said, not too loud but loud enough. You also can somewhat control the sound level if need be by not going above 2500rpm. Like if someone with red&blue lights is nearby and you don't want to cause attraction to yourself. It's not much louder than stock under 2500. The sound level inside is completely tolerable and there's no drone. You barely hear the muffler over the engine noise until 3500rpm. The aluminum belly pan fits with no problem. I would say there's about the same or more room than the factory system.

I have two problems that I need to work out though. The first is that it does seem to effect engine vibration more. I blame that more on the WEVO engine mount than the exhaust. The wevo mount really isn't meant for a street car and it was tolerable with the factory exhaust. I'm thinking because my exhaust is so stiff, it transfers more vibration into the chassis. I have a factory engine mount I'll be installing to see if that helps. The second issue I have is cosmetic. I'm not a huge fan of the 987 base tip. I was originally going to leave it off, but I put it on and it really improved the sound. It also sticks out about 3-4 inches too far. I would have to do some modifications to that area if I try to get it tucked more.

I highly recommend this system if you can. Not sure it would fit on a tiptronic though
Old 05-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #210

Love the build. This was a very good read. Congratulations on putting this together.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #211

I bought this wevo mount from a fellow member at a good price. I thought I would like it but ended up going back to a stock engine mount. The vibration was tolerable but strangely it was the noise it created that I couldn't live with. It made the engine sound like it was having a bad vibration or missing. It was unnerving. I replaced it and it really quieted the engine noise down inside the cabin. I also didn't notice any difference in performance between the two
Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 AM   #212

Your rear swaybar is loose, that is probably where all the vibration and noise is coming from. Handling is probably off too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #213

@ steved0x

I think Woody knows what he is doing.

@ itsnotanova

Not the first report of a Wevo engine mount doing not what it is supposed to do. I would always recommend the OEM or after market OEM engine mounts. Where the original engine mounts do have a color system like the color dot schemes on springs, which show what dampening factor they have. See also: Changed Motor Mount @ 95k

Regards, Markus

Regards, Markus
Old 06-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
@ steved0x

I think Woody knows what he is doing.

@ itsnotanova

Not the first report of a Wevo engine mount doing not what it is supposed to do. I would always recommend the OEM or after market OEM engine mounts. Where the original engine mounts do have a color system like the color dot schemes on springs, which show what dampening factor they have. See also: Changed Motor Mount @ 95k

Regards, Markus

Regards, Markus
I'm not sure, look how far off that swaybar is.... Just kidding I am giving him a hard time
Old 06-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Your rear swaybar is loose, that is probably where all the vibration and noise is coming from. Handling is probably off too.
I keep getting an O2 code too

I got the new mount from pelican and pressed it in using my bench vice. The new mount is the 987 mount and looks to be more robust than the old 986 mount. I didn't take notice to any color dots but did notice it was made in Korea.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #216

I got a chance to finally see what my box can do and I think I'm hooked. A friend who regularly auto-crosses invited me out to an event not too far from my house.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1BdENmUVW1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BdENmUVW1I

I don't own a helmet and had to use the loaner helmet

That was sooooo fun! I did come out realizing what I need to do to my box to improve it's performance. Starting with my own helmet and followed by tires. My tires sucked. They were the biggest problem that I saw and they had me sliding all over the place. I wish I got video of my third and fourth run. I'm pretty sure I had all four tires sliding like I was at a drifting event.

Here's my friend's race boxster doing the same practice track.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b51vB2LsaEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b51vB2LsaEw

The three Porsche boxsteteers
Old 07-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #217
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Nice! I agree, AX is a hoot. I had to go out and buy my own helmet for my 3rd time coming up on the 24th. I am running on street all season Conti's, stock 2.7 engine and suspension - and I don't care. It's soooo fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #218

I posted about this in another thread but it wasn't my finest moment and haven't been to happy to talk about it. A few months back I was pulling out from my street and gunned it. In a few seconds I was doing the speed limit of sixty so I let off of the throttle. As soon as I did that, I started getting a horrible shaking. I instantly completely let off the gas and started look for a place to pull off of the highway. There were no side medians but there was a turnaround in the middle of the highway only about 50 yards away. As I'm making my escape plan I feel the car drop in the back accompanied by a loud scraping noise and I see my left rear wheel pass me rolling down the center grass median. The box comes to a quick stop halfway off the road and halfway blocking the fast lane. From the point it started to shake to where the wheel came off was only 4-5 seconds. I'm guessing I was only doing 40mph by then. As I retrieve my wheel I access the situation and see that all of my lug bolts had come off. You would think there would have been some kind of vibration from the lug bolts coming loose and I would have felt it before the wheel came off. There wasn't! Only that 4-5 second vibration. This made me start to think what went wrong and I believe there was a few things I shouldn't have done. First was I used some generic wheel spacers on the back and I used gasket maker to hold them in place until I attached the wheel. That right there was the worse idea ever! The second bad thing I did was not rechecking my lug bolts after driving the car for a little bit. I had done a few 100+mph sprints and put about 500 miles on it so I had assumed everything was good. If I had checked the torque on them I might have caught that they were coming loose. After I limped home with my tail between my legs I checked the other side and those too were about to come loose. They maybe were only at 20 FT Lbs by then. My theory is that the gasket maker I used to secure the crappy spacer gave enough space and cushion to allow vibration that worked the lug bolts loose. I also believe the aftermarket lug bolts that came with the spacers were not long enough.
When the wheel came off, it flopped around in the wheel well rubbing against the rotor and caliper causing all kinds of groves to the inside of the wheel. One grove was so deep that it cracked the wheel. So much damage was caused to the wheel that it wasn't repairable.

If you're asking why I used those spacers? I had them laying around and they were just the right thickness for my wheels to clear the coilovers. I was too lazy and cheap to buy the right ones. Completely a dumb move and I can't argue that. I did buy some ECS spacers for the front that have worked great so far. I'm just grateful I didn't kill anyone or my car. Besides the damage to the wheel, the only other damage was to the leading edge of the bumper cover as the wheel rolled out and some touch-up paint will fix that.
That leads me to my next bad decision. I put the only complete set I had at the time on and they are from a 987. Not the worse thing but 987 wheels are skinnier than 986 wheels and it wasn't the look I was after. Semi-desperate that I am, I had a customer offer to trade me some 19 inch wheels for a set of 17x8.5 wheels for his boxster that he's turning into a spec. I prefer 17's or 18's but I can live with 19's. So I drive up to Dallas and we switched out the wheels at his house. I get a look at the back side of them and they're cheap knock-offs. Disappointed at that I still go ahead with the deal. I figure I'd try them out. Those 18's were knock offs and they seem to perform as good as the factory 17's. It only took five minutes of driving before I realized that they suck. The 19's are boat anchors and it feels like I lost 50hp! The ride quality is a little worse too. They looked good on his car but on mine it might be a little too much.

On a good note, while I was up there I got a free alignment and ROW tune from a friend at Porsche of Plano! I kept getting an O2 code from the rear sensors even with the O2 sensor foolers. No check engine light since then.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #219
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Woody's build thread

Sorry, man. But you totally just prompted me to check mine after I had the wheels off for caliper painting last weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by grc0456; 07-10-2016 at 12:46 PM.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #220

Garage
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, it could have been much worse. This is a good reminder to check the torque on each lug nut on a regular basis. Thank you for sharing. The aftermarket wheels look great on your car IMO. I'm not a fan of 19's for ride quality alone as you found out. I went from stock 17's to 18's but the ride did not suffer with Michelin Pilot Sports.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote