Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #1

986 Gemballa Twin Turbo.

Hello Gents,
New to the forum but not new to Porsche. I recently sold my 1977 911 3ltr with a Turbo/EFI swap I did myself at home. While the car was very fast and we had a lot of fun together it was time for a change. I looked at all kinds of stuff from BMW M3's to Nissan GTR's but in the end I'm a Porsche guy though and though. I knew deep down if I didn't get another I'd be kicking myself.

I spotted this car one Thursday night (06/04/14) and knew I had to move fast to nab it. Phil a mate of mine was a top bloke and made time to go and look at it on Friday arvo and Russ another good mate did some recon on Friday morning with T&D who looked after the car. As it turns out they had not seen it in a few years since Don left and started up a new shop. More calls made and I was happy the car had been well looked after.
Anyway Phil rang me as he was flogging the **** out of it and oddly I couldn't hear the car at all. Just him laughing like a child saying it's awesome. Seeing how it weighs 1200 and a bit KG's and is rated by Gemballer at 335kw so it should be. This was at 7p.m NSW time or 6p.m curtain lovers time AKA Queensland ( you will of worked out I'm in Australia by now). I'd stayed back at work to yell at people who work for me on arvo shift so after yelling at them a bit I walked into my office and rang Warwick the guy selling the car. We talked price and came to a deal. I said I'd give him a deposit and pick it up Saturday week. I did this as we chatted and all was going well.
After that I called my wife to see how her friday night was going and to soften her up to the fact I'd just bought another Porsche site unseen for a not inconsiderable amount of money. With that easy job done I got down to more stalking about the car and owner. Whilst I was doing this she rang me back and said don't be a tard go and get it on Saturday. Awesome wife is Awesome!
I called Warwick while she looked for flights. He didn't answer and it was now 10p.m NSW time. I called the bank to make sure there was going to be one open in Brisbane CBD on Saturday and then called the wife back wondering if we should book a ticket or not as I'd not been called back by Warwick. Right at this point he called my mobile while I was on the land line to her. He was cool with doing a cash transfer seeing as we both banked with the same bank he would get his money on the spot. So right now I've got a phone in each ear and am doing my best to hold my ******************** together and sort times and places. The wife books the flight while I talk to him then she gives me a flight number and I pass on when I'll land etc. It's at this point I remember he has a Lambo so I cheekily ask him to pick me up in it. He laughs and says yeah that will make it easy for you to find me.
Done deal.
I finish work at 11pm go home have a couple of beers and hit the sack at 12:30. I then get up at 0630 after a **************** night sleep with the little bloke getting up multiple times go to the airport. Fly to QLD neck a quick coffee and walk out the front looking for a Blue Lambo. Sure enough I hear the Tubi exhaust well before I see the car. A fun drive is had back to his place to pick up his wife swap car and doing the banking. By this time it's 11am and I need to get out of Dodge back to NSW.

Anyway here is the car the day I picked it up.

After a long drive home.

Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:57 AM   #2

So mods. I can't leave things lone. Ever. Even though there is more or less no Porsche left in the driveline there is still room for improvement. Not much but some. Gemballa is a recognised car manufacturer so things like mufflers need to pass testing around the world. That's where I'll come in lol. Other stuff is getting rid of the aftermarket decals and putting the factory "Gemballa GTR" decals back on. No doubt I'll think of other stuff.
Anyway here are a couple more shots for anyone who might be interested.

I met up with a couple of other like minded guys on the weekend.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 AM   #3

Nicely done!

2002 Boxster S
2006 Cayman S
N0tt0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #4

That wing killed me, I need one.
What's the name of it?
HolmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Looks interesting! What else is in the Gemballa package?
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #6

A mate of a mate did this for me. It's one of many pages. In short everything mechanical is Gemballa engine,gearbox,brakes,suspension you name it and it has Gamballa written on it.
Engine is still 3.2 but it has turbo heads,cylinders,rods,pistons,crank with a reinforced block and crank bearings. I've only had a quick look at the heads and you can see the Porsche "turbo" script cast into them.

Last edited by Uncle; 03-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #7

You must post a video of how all the fine wrenching turned out. TT Boxsters are a very rare sight on this forum.

Nice that you scored some 18" wheels. Unless you go cutom built, good options are hard to find in that size now. Everything is 19 and 20". How old are the tires?

p.s.
Interesting that Australians use the expression "getting out of Dodge".
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

Fascinating to see how a rebadged boxster thread (w/ 986 sticker) can create so much appraisals and discussions, but go near empty of anything for what appears to be an amazing porsche car's thread.

Glad to see someone requested a video. I'd pay to see this almost

Keep that porsche car indoor and safe mate. Lucky you
Old 04-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
2002 Boxster S

Garage
It's a tasteful cosmetic job, but the engine rebuild is (a) invisible and (b) fascinating. Another vote here for some video!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Fascinating to see how a rebadged boxster thread (w/ 986 sticker) can create so much appraisals and discussions, but go near empty of anything for what appears to be an amazing porsche car's thread.

I think Silver-S should post this in the general forum. Not sure if my USD/AUD forex thigny is working this morning but those invoices are more than the U.S. purchase price for a 2004 Boxster.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #11

In Australia car costs double due to their high tax rate? Not to mention it's Gembella...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #12

The car was picked up one a tow truck from the factory door and taken directly to Gemballa for the mods. Hence the all the invoices are in Euro $$$. The first owner spent more in mods than he did on he car lol.

I'll get some Go-pro vid but it will be quite dull as the turbos and muffler cut a lot of the sound out. It's just a very fast moving vacuum stuck on blow type noise.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #13

What's the HP on that car?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
I don't think you want to know, Captain. Close to as fast as the planes you are flying.

Just do like I do, drive your car thinking its the fastest in the world lol
Old 04-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I don't think you want to know, Captain. Close to as fast as the planes you are flying.

Just do like I do, drive your car thinking its the fastest in the world lol
^^^That's very true.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #16

Hey! quit having a life and post a video for us jealous guys already!!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Not enough. It's never enough..
Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 AM   #18

For anyone interested this is car it replaced. Home built 436RWHP EFI/Turbo 3ltr 1977 911.

Click below to play.