Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

Box has a new top

Just installed the new hardtop with the help of Scott over at McIlvain Motors. Dropping in the spin locks are easy enough but getting the bolts in was a real PITA. Scott got it done and was nice enough not to charge me. It definitely gives the car a different look and the interior is much quieter. Get some tint on the rear window and some silicone on the seals and call it done. Just in time for the rain coming tomorrow.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #2

Looks really nice. May I ask where exactly the seals are you are going to use silicone on? I'll be getting a hardtop soon, anything I should know as far as proper sealing and not letting water in?
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #3

The AC will no doubt work better during the 'hell' season too. I love the chrome wheels with the red. I think those wheels are very rare.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
Looks really nice. May I ask where exactly the seals are you are going to use silicone on? I'll be getting a hardtop soon, anything I should know as far as proper sealing and not letting water in?
Since I got the silicone I ended up using it on all the seals (hardtop, doors, trucks,). When over a driveway the car flexes a bit (that's way the Cayman is a better handler) and the rubber makes a bit of noise. My indie recommended silicone to quite it down. The way the top is designed I don't expect any leaks. We will see as we are expecting rain on Saturday for the first time since December.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 02-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
The AC will no doubt work better during the 'hell' season too. I love the chrome wheels with the red. I think those wheels are very rare.
Thanks for the compliments. Not sure if the wheels are rare but they certainly were a very expensive upgrade when the car was new. I believe $3,500. I won't pay that today let alone in 2002. Plus when buying preowned. Chrome wheels is certainly out but I like it and it's period.

It gets hot here but I look at it this way. 75 degree is comfortable for most people so when it's 115 that's 40 degrees above comfortable. I was at my company's Winnipeg office a few weeks back and it was -30 which is over 100 degree below comfortable. I have never been more uncomfortable in my life. I know what I'll take. Lots of sunshine and when it gets hot I don't have to shovel it and I just throw on the AC, some shorts and flip flops. In the meantime the top on the Boxster has been down all winter. Now if we can just do something about our wacko right wing legislators!
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 03-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #6

Garage
Nice top, I will be moving to the W coast shortly, might need something for the foggy days.

mcdandc is offline   Reply With Quote