Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #41

Garage
Great progress! Just curious why you didn't go with black on the console?

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #42

the carpets are a kinda really dark blue and when i bought the dye this was the darkest they had. if i pull it out again (which i probably will) i will go and buy a black dye and give it a coat of that to really darken the blue down and hopefully get it somewhere nearer the metropole carpet thats in there
koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #43

Garage
Understood! From the pictures, it looked like black or dark grey carpet.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 12-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #44

yeah the lighting in the garage plays some funny tricks on the camera its a full metropole interior but the carpet is a very very dark blue, almost grey/purple! its a weird color to try and match!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #45

Love it!
Your Boxster is going to be rockin' the **************** soon! Very nice
Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #46

thanks man much appreciated! looking forward to getting this thing back together and out on the roads again! hoping to have the exhaust built up by the end of the weekend and from there isn't just plugs and oil and the build up and we're good to go i think!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #47

So since the last lot of pics there's been a bit of work but not the need of many more pics as it was pretty much putting the car back together I done the plugs and the oil and oil filter too but since all the was underneath there was no pics!

So the engine got a bit of tidy up at the time aswell

Then there was the rest of the car! So far it's had clay, polish, leather balm and some stuff Rachel got me in America which has done some other parts! It's still to get window polish, the rest of the interior done, more polish and some wax!

And pretty much that was it! Bumper back on, under trays and plastic guards all back on and a jump start and good to go!

I actually took it away for a brap on the Wednesday night, it ran not too great which apparently has something to do to the ECU resetting when you disconnect the battery for a few days? And I also forgot to put number plates on that night too so I was running around with no plates on at all.... Oops

It's back in the garage for the moment for more cleaning and since it won't fit in the drive now there's 2 cars there...

And the other day I bought a carbon fibre strut brace on eBay which was listed as a 987 one but I thought I would give it a go.... Turns out the 987 is a bit wider so I will either need to sell it, or chop it up as I could make it fit who knows!

And so that's it! I took it out last night and it runs sweet, sounds nice, loud enough but not too overbearing! So I'm happy with my work for now! Can't wait to get out and use it some again!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #48

Garage
Sure cleaned up nice! How do you like the short shifter and exhaust so far?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #49

Koosh, you seem to be having way too much fun there Carry on!
Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #50

The short shift feels great! There is a nice heavy clunk as you shift which I really enjoy in a sports car like this! It may not be to everyone's liking but I sure like it!
Also the exhaust sounds fantastic, much better than I expected manifolds and a rear silencer that cost just more than $350 to sound! It is not too loud on idle but when you start to accelerate it gets progressively louder with its peak somewhere around 2500-3500rpm i've yet to give it a proper test on the motorway and up to decent speeds but now I feel the car sounds more like a Porsche should!
And I certainly am nine8six! I'm actually quite sad that the majority of the work has come to an end! It was fun to take such a prestige and well built car like the boxster to bits and see it laying in my garage in pieces and then putting it all back together I've just went and bought an older (1999) golf which I may have to play about with to keep me occupied now!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #51

Strut brace is still lying there, probably end up selling it as I don't want to cut it up and end up shattering it!

But on the other hand......

Spax coils off of a racecar, never seen them on a boxster so don't know how they'll sit but it's worth a shot!
So the no modding boxster is officially not not modded now....
Old 02-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #52

so the coils are finished!

went back alot easier than they came off!
skips about the road a little bit and its a tad bouncy as i think its on the bump stops so a little fettling may be required but they're stainless so it should prove much of a pain
quite happy with how its sitting now though
Old 02-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
so the coils are finished!

went back alot easier than they came off!
skips about the road a little bit and its a tad bouncy as i think its on the bump stops so a little fettling may be required but they're stainless so it should prove much of a pain
quite happy with how its sitting now though
STUNNING little sport car Koosh. Bet you can't wait to drive with the roof down now

Stands there nicely low - bad boy looking!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #54

thanks dude!
wont be able to drive it until atleast saturday due to not having road tax on it, but it wont be until next week at least! need to get a busted tyre swapped over aswell!
then its all fun from there
Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #55

so after spending ages thinking of the best way to modify the strut brace that i bought, that was actually for a 987 boxster, i ended up mounting the original strut brackets, cutting one threaded end off and cleaning it up then shortening the whole tube by about 3 inchesand re-fitting the threaded end i managed to get it in place. i thought i was going to struggle to fit it in behind the battery but it JUST went in, and its quite snug and the battery too, but its done!

and this is how i have left it with the 2 outer trims on. think it looked just a bit too messy with no trims on!

i have a battery bag/cover thing from my mk4 golf that i am going to utilise on this so i might be able to get away with not putting the middle bit of trim on, that should tidy it up a little

need to buy a new drivers side bit of trim as this is burst. and now its summer hopefully roofs might get a bit cheaper...
Old 07-11-2014, 03:21 AM   #56

well not much has been done to the car, just enjoying it for what it is, but the one thing i did do was quite a mojor job in terms of its effectiveness in bringing the car up a notch in the standards apartment!

start off with one car in service mode:

take one new (second hand) blue roof with a glass rear window from a facelifted porsche (patience is key with ebay and got this a good £100 odd cheaper than their usual selling price)

off with the roof! 6 bolts and a couple ball jointed rods is all that holds it on!

then bolts the new one in place and make sure it closes!

put the rear clam cover in place, making sure its fits back in place, then down to make sure it all fits that way

and you're good to go once again!

much better looking, rear visability vastly improved since this rear screen isnt all frosted over, but its reduced in that its a tad smaller than the plastic one

and so thats it really. put a couple stickers on it, a flat black boxster S logo on the rear boot lid and frosted vinyl boxster S logos on the carbon sill covers

still riding odd wheels front to back (double staggered set up anyone?), but still looking to get the RH's sold and onto something else maybe? got a guy possibly interested so we will see where that goes!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #57

Garage
Looks great, the glass makes a big difference! I know what you mean about patience, I searched over a year to get a deal on my wheels. Went the easy way out on my top by buying a new replacement with glass. Good luck on your wheels
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #58

so a little update. the other day i decided it time to get the inside of the car looking swish again! as you can see it was pretty horrible!

spew! so got some foam interior cleaner and gave the seats, steering wheel, gear knob, handbrake, roll over bar and door pull handles a good scrubbing. need to get a tooth brush in about it and clean up where all the stitching is and the holes in the perforated leather... then after that i used some leather balsm to moisturise it much better!

then i stuck the spare battery in, turned her over and it fired up after a couple seconds, made sure the roof went down and all was good.

gonna get it insured in the next few weeks then i need to get a few bits looked at like the tracking and misfiring issue

also as a little present i bought a pair of cup holders. need to get the vents drilled to accept them though!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #59
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Wow . . . those look like new seats. Great job. You are a patient man!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:19 AM   #60

haven't updated this in a while so heres a little short walkthrough of the past 6 months....

moved the car to my new home so new tennents could move into my old house. windows didn't work and car still misfired...

managed to get the passenger window to work somehow but the drivers one needed a new motor (ended up getting 2 as the first one i was sent didnt work either...)

car sat for another 3 or 4 months unmoved until around september when i decided i wanted to start using it again (just in time for summer finishing...)

below is a picture of my dogs ear and me fitting new coil packs and wheels to the car to get it ready for its yearly inspection... changing the coil packs has slightly helped with the running issue but it isnt fully cured yet, i need a diagnostic machine to further help me... also 2 coilpack bolts had to be dremel cut off as they were stuck in good! also you can see from the below pic i have an OEM RTS but i dont have a good picture of it yet!

and below is how it currently sits...

running wheels which are too small for it... i did get 996 headlights for it which have helped the looks of the front end endless amounts!

i really need to get new wheels!