Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #1

"Hello" from a new member

Hi all, thought I would post a quick intro to say hello...

Whilst I am not new to the Porsche world (had several Porsche cars for many years and have a 911 at the moment, and I am a regular posting member on other forums like Pelican), I am relatively new to owning a Boxster.

But my Boxster is not pampered as a lot of nice ones are on here. My 2001 Boxster S is a dedicated racing car built by SVP in the UK and run in the Porsche Sports Cup Scandinavia as one of three cars running in the CoolCava Racing team.

Much more on the car and the racing on the team Facebook page

Two of my Porsche family together (the 924 is still in bits!)...

I will not step back to the start, but the car is having some small work done on it in preparation for the 2012 season - and that is how I found this great forum.

Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #2

Garage
Welcome!

Awesome looking race car, I look forward to following you here and on Facebook. How about more info on the Boxster's construction process and current configuration.

Cheers!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Welcome!

Awesome looking race car, I look forward to following you here and on Facebook. How about more info on the Boxster's construction process and current configuration.

Cheers!
Thank you for the complements, and interest...

Some details on the build etc - that could get long

The current configuration is rather stock with some FIA related changes for racing, and obviously having most of the interior and stuff removed... To date, I have been posting mainly on Pelican and on a local forum here in Finland. Rather than copy everything over to here (unless it is preferred), it might be easier to have a quick look at the thread over on pelican

I will maintain this thread here with updates though. I also have found that whilst Pelican has been great for my 911, the Boxster community is not so large and I am having problems getting detailed info on my car and required technical stuff - so look forward to talking Boxster here with you all

Next on my project list is to find a way to remove the carbon canister and related breather stuff without getting a CEL - anyone got any cool tips on what I need to do to trick the sensors in to thinking everything is still installed and working

But here is some pictures from the build (taken from the Pelican thread)...

What we started with:

Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #4

Where did my reply go???
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #5

Some work in progress pictures...

Last edited by Kroggers; 12-13-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #6

Disappointing Dyno results (but reason found at end of season and hope to have fixed for next season)

Bad power and performance due to issues in the tank venting system (one reason why I just want to remove it), which ended with my tank looking like this by the end of the 2011 season

All fixed now and some other winter improvements made...

More to come
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

Garage
Very nice!

Did you do the welding? If you did then you can weld on my car any time.

The more I hang around these cars the more I want a roll cage. I had my door apart the other day and there is nothing there. If I ever got hit in the door I would have a car in my lap, a bit scary.

How much weight does the roll cage add?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Very nice!

Did you do the welding? If you did then you can weld on my car any time.

The more I hang around these cars the more I want a roll cage. I had my door apart the other day and there is nothing there. If I ever got hit in the door I would have a car in my lap, a bit scary.

How much weight does the roll cage add?
I do have a welder, but I could not do nice welds like that!!!

I wanted to make sure that the cage would pass FIA inspection, so had the cage (and the car) built for me...

Have been working on a new modification to the car with one of my sponsors. This is an early prototype made to do test fit etc. The end product will be 1" lower and at a bit reduced angle, but it does make the shifting feel better from the driver seat.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:27 AM   #9

Not sure how much this will help with getting air to the engine, but it was a fun project to make - and I am not to disappointed with the end results

Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #10

That is one amazing build and it looks awesome! It has always been my dream to have a sponsor and race...keep us up to date next season on your results.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
That is one amazing build and it looks awesome! It has always been my dream to have a sponsor and race...keep us up to date next season on your results.
Thank you

To be honest with you - I do not get much sponsorship, and the ones I have I got after i started racing. So my main sponsor is me

I will try to keep this thread up-to-date, but the main location for progress and team/racing stuff is the team facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/coolcavaracing
Old 01-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #12

Time for another update on winter project work and preparation for the 2012 season...

With all the issues I had with the fuel tank breather system during last season and the fun with getting to the top of the fuel tank, I decided to first relocate the battery away from above the fuel level sender and to rip out the carbon canister and the related stuff.

I also made up a cover to fit over the fuel tank where the battery tray would normally sit, to make sure that the car is still FIA compliant.

Got recommended to pull out the smog pump from the engine bay as well, and at the same time took the opportunity to give the engine a quick clean

More to follow SmileWavy
Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #13

Another update

Whilst the snow keeps on falling outside, I have been continuing to sort the car out for the coming season...

One issue I had during last season was some rubbing on the rear when going hard round corners. On close inspection I discovered that the rubbing was on the rear arch liners. SO I decided to just remove the liners and be done with it - this also removes some more weight from the car

After having pulled the liners out, I started to consider the air flow that would not go into the rear bumper section and the heat of the muffler - end result, large hole in rear bumper for air flow.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #14

So one of our sponsors - Hargett Precision have now completed the design of the shifter mount that we were working on (I posted a picture with the early prototype earlier in this thread), and I am very happy with the end result

And as Hargett is one of our sponsors and Mark is a really nice person to deal with, I feel obliged to do some shameless promotional work - here
Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #15

Next on the list is to sort out all the wheels and get the new tyres installed. I have removed all the old tyres and will clean the wheels tomorrow before I install the new tyres and balance the wheels.

Probably not very relevant for most as you are probably to far away - but I have the tyres that I removed from the wheels, and do not really need them as I have decided to change brand on the Boxster for this year and to have a set of wets as well.

All in the picture is available. The ones on the right are removed from 17" Boxster wheels I purchased to install wets on. This is a mixed batch of brands and condition, and I will throw them all away unless someone wants them for free - just come and collect them (in Espoo, Finland )

The remaining ones are the Toyo R888's I was running with at the end of last season. They are all used, but have some life remaining in them. Happy to negotiate on price, but will start at 50% cheaper than new...

Size on the R888's are front 225 40 18 and rear 265 35 18

Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #16

So this last weekend was the first race for the 2012 season with Porsche Sports Cup Scandinavia here in Finland. The race was at Botniaring, which is a rather nice track.

The car was really good and the power I was missing last year due to the technical problems have returned making the car feel more responsive and fun to drive.

The day was a great success with everyone in the CoolCava Racing team getting podium positions during the day including me, which made for a great start to the 2012 season

The only bad part to the day was that my ABS problems have not been fixed. I was hopeful after having replaced the sensor that all would be good. But shortly after getting the car off the trailer the ABS light came back on and I had to race without ABS again!

I plugged the Durametric in last night to see if it was the sensor again that was bad, but this time I get no error codes in the Durametric
When I look at the errors on the ABS it does indicate that there is an error, but it gives no error code - what is this all about?!?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #17

Congrats on the podium finish Kroggers! It seems if anyone is going to win anything, it would be you because your car is pretty well sorted out. And definitely very clean and well put together for a race car!

Hope you figure the ABS problem before your next race and thank you for the updates also.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #18

So, where to start

This last weekend as some might know was the 2nd race (start 2 and 3) in the Porsche Sports Cup Scandinavia in Finland and this time it was at Ahvenisto, which is a technical circuit that takes no prisoners with limited space for error!!!

This was a two day event with training on the Saturday and the main race on the Sunday. The team turned up early to get set-up and comfortable on the Saturday, and all was feeling good as the sun was heating things up and making us feel good...

The first practice of the day started and all was going good until lap 7, when all went wrong and I ended up in the tire wall - I would like to find every reason in the world to say it was not my fault, but at the end of the day I am sure it was down to driver error...

All in all (apart from my pride) I lost just the one radiator and did some cosmetic damage. I spent the remaining part of Saturday and parts of Sunday morning replacing the radiator and undertaking some "big hammer" alterations to the damaged body panels, and got it all done in time for qualifiers (with thanks to my team mates and others who helped to get things supplied and installed in time).

I completed the two starts and came in 2nd in both of them and as a nice bonus to the weekend, I am now standing overall 3rd in the Porsche Sports Cup Scandinavia and 1st in my class...

What a great (but expensive) weekend racing!!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #19

Time to do some thinking - whilst there is probably not much I can do this summer, it will give me a plan for the coming winter!

At the race in Botniaring (first race this season), all the cars were measured after the last practice round. My Boxster (wet) with me in it came in at 1250Kg.

Now, I am currently running in class 8.c - this is the specifications (taken from the Porsche Sports Cup Scandiavia Finnish regulations!):
Class 8.a at least 6.5 kg / hp (100)
Class 8.b at least 5.0 kg / hp (200)
Class 8.c at least 4.0 kg / hp (300)
Class 8.d at least 2.0 kg / hp (400)

If we assume that my car does have the factory documented 250hp, then my power to weight is ~5.0kg/hp. In theory I should be in 8.b based on this, but that is another discussion. The main point is that I am at the bottom of the 8.c class which is not good for trying to come first

So I need to either reduce the wet weight on my Boxster to ~1000Kg or increase the power on the engine to ~320hp or a mix between these two to get me to the upper limit (4.0Kg/hp) for the class I am in...

I am therefore looking for good ideas on what I can do at a realistic price to get closer to the 4.0Kg/hp point - all suggestions and ideas are welcome my friends
Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #20

So, last weekend was the 3rd race in the Porsche Sports Cup Scandinavia in Finland. We were again back at Ahvenisto, which is a great track to race on.

I had some good fights with competitors for both start one and start two, but in the end finished both starts 1st in class and 3rd overall.

We are now half way threw the season and I am leading with 43 points in the season - http://cms.porsche-clubs.com/PorscheClubs/prc_finland/files/2012%20sarjataulukko.pdf

Some pictures and more details over on Facebook-
CoolCava Racing | Facebook
Pål Krogdahl | Facebook