Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1

New toy to tinker with

Hey everyone!

I've been a long time lurker around here and I finally decided it was time to buy a new toy. Its a 2002 Boxster (base model) with 50K miles on it.

I had a 911S "back in the day" which I sold prior to getting married. 3 children and 12 years later I figured it was about time I got back into Porsches.

This is strictly a car to tinker with and do some DYI stuff for myself and my son until he turns 16, at which time I'll hand the keys over to him. (he's only 9 right now so that means I get some time to play with it as well!) We are planning on doing a complete color change (maybe), body kit, rims, springs, and upgrading the interior. Its quite a long punch list, but we do have time on our side.

I do have one question for everyone... while washing the car today, I noticed that the side vent surrounds are different from the passenger side to the drivers side. Is this normal or has a past owner of the car changed something?

I look forward to chatting more with everyone here and getting some great ideas from everyone's awesome cars.

Cheers

Mark

The "tinker" toy (or "stormtrooper" as my son refers to it)

Passenger side Vent

Drivers side Vent

My daily driver

Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #2

side vents

They are different one is for the air intake and the other is for the blower on the engine

hope this helps
goldsc_78258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Welcome Appleguy!

Those are a couple of nice German rides you have there. I especially like the white one! It will be interesting to see what color you go with if you decide to change it.

As goldsc said, the driver side vent is the air intake for the motor. I think in 2000 Porsche changed to the new shape to supposedly help prevent foreign objects from getting sucked into the system.

Enjoy the new ride.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Those are a couple of nice German rides you have there. I especially like the white one! It will be interesting to see what color you go with if you decide to change it.

As goldsc said, the driver side vent is the air intake for the motor. I think in 2000 Porsche changed to the new shape to supposedly help prevent foreign objects from getting sucked into the system.

Enjoy the new ride.

ddb
The two side vents are for different purpose and are also different in theyr looks, that's normal.

Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote