Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

"New" front end - quite pleased

I track my car regularly - say 10-12 track days a year, with at least 2 trips a year to Nurburgring and Spa, but also I do have a bit of a modding bug, so anything that I do has to be subtle and OEM - and not interfere with my primary reason for buying the car...to drive it

So here's my interpretation of a 986 front end - If Porsche ever made a 'RS' then I think it may have looked a little like this:

There's actually a lot of work gone into that:

-De-Ambered facelift lights (+5000K HID upgrade and white LED parking lights)
-Porsche 928 black/Silver badge
-Home made mesh grills for black (non-S) side vents
-Retro fit centre grill
-Ring Automotive DRL Leds (Hella bright!!) - come on with engine and side lights, dim on main beam
(took the opportunity to fit a really loud air horn whilst the fender was off too)
- Lower splitter (£70 off ebay)

I think it works really well. Tomorrow I've got an extended air intake scoop to fit and carbon mirror covers.

I've increased the exposure on this shot so you can see the shape of the splitter:

Not bad for an old girl - she's a MY02 with almost 120K miles on the clock!

Last edited by Gary H; 06-22-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #2

Nice, very nice. I need to DE AMBER my lights ASAP.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Very nice looking! Question- how does that splitter fit?...does it attach via glue, or screws? And if by screws, are they thru the existing holes on the underside of the bumper, or do you have to tap them thru (and make new holes in the bumper)?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 06-22-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #4

Goodness! I have never been a fan of DRL's on a 986 until now, well executed my friend! Was the installation and wiring at all difficult?

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product_list.asp?cat1=1&cat2=8&cat3=207

Of the four options which did you opt for?

Also, could you give me the name of the seller that in which you purchased the front lip please?
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #5

Thank you. They're the Lyras. The lights plug into each other , so there's only one loom to feed into the car: One Switched Pos, One Neg and a tap off your parking light or dipped beam - which dims the lights when either the parking or dipped (depending on what you hook up to) are switched on. They look OEM and are Audi bright!

The splitter was a cheap copy off ebay - although I'm not sure what it's a copy off. Luckily I've got a good body shop, so it did need some fine tuning - glue and screws (bolts actually)
It doesn't affect ground clearance at the front although my only slight criticism is that the sides now sit maybe an inch lower so look a little 'heavy' in my eyes and I've already caught one corner. But apart from that, it's all good.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:08 AM   #6

I've been looking for a lower splitter for my '01 Boxster S myself. Could you post a link to this eBay seller. I can't seem to find it. Thanks.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #7

There ya go:

http://tinyurl.com/32fhc6t
Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H
Thank you. They're the Lyras. The lights plug into each other , so there's only one loom to feed into the car: One Switched Pos, One Neg and a tap off your parking light or dipped beam - which dims the lights when either the parking or dipped (depending on what you hook up to) are switched on. They look OEM and are Audi bright!

The splitter was a cheap copy off ebay - although I'm not sure what it's a copy off. Luckily I've got a good body shop, so it did need some fine tuning - glue and screws (bolts actually)
It doesn't affect ground clearance at the front although my only slight criticism is that the sides now sit maybe an inch lower so look a little 'heavy' in my eyes and I've already caught one corner. But apart from that, it's all good.
Many a thanks. My last request are for a few photographs of the vehicle illuminated at night!
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Gary, sorry to be a pain, but could you clarify if those bolts used to attach the splitter were put through the existing holes below the bumper, or if it required drilling new holes in the bumper? This is important to me because if it utilizes the original holes, it means the mod is reversible, if for any reason, the fiberglass splitter is damaged or you decide you want to remove them down the road.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #10

Hi - I had to check with my body shop and their reply was because the splitter didn't come with pre-drilled holes, they used what was already there on the car, so in essence no additional holes (apart from two - extreme left and right) were made.

No night-time pictures yet, but a small video of when I had a smaller much dimmer set of DRLs with a relay that switched them off on dipped beam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUpbk8jaqc
Old 06-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Didn't mean to make you have to go out of your way to find that out, but many thanks for checking on that for me! Appreciate it. It looks great though. Nice job they did with the fitting.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H
Hi - I had to check with my body shop and their reply was because the splitter didn't come with pre-drilled holes, they used what was already there on the car, so in essence no additional holes (apart from two - extreme left and right) were made.

No night-time pictures yet, but a small video of when I had a smaller much dimmer set of DRLs with a relay that switched them off on dipped beam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUpbk8jaqc
Marvelous! Just what I needed to happen, motivation to spend more money on my car! Joking aside, this modification is well priced and looks absolutely astounding. Thank you for all of your help thus far, enoy her in the best of health.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #13

Has anyone found lights like these in the states? They look better than the other led DLRs I've seen available here.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino
Has anyone found lights like these in the states? They look better than the other led DLRs I've seen available here.

While not the same as the ones the OP posted, these are the ones I have on my car... Hard to capture how they actually look to the eyes in a photograph, but here is a photo we had... Looks better in person...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts

Last edited by chaudanova; 06-24-2010 at 09:41 PM.
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #15

Thanks Chaud, where did yours come from?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
Pedro sells a kit like this

Pedro's Technolab, is he a sponsor here as well as PPBB? I've bought some of his stuff and he stands behind his products.

Steve
986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986rgt
Pedro's Technolab, is he a sponsor here as well as PPBB? I've bought some of his stuff and he stands behind his products.

Steve
Don't take this the wrong way, as I do like the way it looks on Gary's car, but I really liked the look until I started seeing them on 15 yr old minivans!?$&@. Same thing with the aftermarket HID white lights being put into halogen lamp units...you see them on all types of old clunkers now, and they look obnoxious.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #18

Looking really good mate. Like the front set up you've got. I actually looked at that same front splitter on eBay a few weeks ago for mine. You made a nice choice.

DRL's look nice too - was it hard to wire up?

Boxster 986 2.7 | Black, 19" Carrera Alloys, LED Rear Lights, Clear Front/Side Lights, Aera Side Skirts, Focal/JL Audio setup

Last edited by si_reading; 06-30-2010 at 01:25 PM.
si_reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #19

Gary, what year is your car? Reason being that I'm upgrading to a '03-04 bumper and want to know if the front lip will fit
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #20

Front splitter

Gary, I just received my front splitter, thanks for the link!.... how did you install yours? has to be glued on? send as much detail as possible when you get a chance

Lance