Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #1

3M Dinoc carbon fiber interior

I ordered some of this stuff to do all the light switch plates and outlet covers in my dad's garage as a Christmas present. After wrapping the light switch plates and getting used to working with it...I started in my interior. Everything painted with that "soft touch" paint needed to be repainted so, I've wrapped quite a few pieces.

It's a thick vinyl with a texture and it does reflect light just as real c/f would. There's already a 3m adhesive backing. You simply peel off the backing and apply the piece to a clean part, then take some heat to it and work your way around the part. It's extremely easy to work with, when you heat it, it stretches to go around corners and such.

It's made to replicate the BMW dry carbon fiber they're using now. It looks very real and imo doesn't look cheesy at all. That's probably about $30 worth of material that I've used so far.

These are very bad pictures but, you get the general idea. It had just rained so, there are leaves in the floor board. I'll post some better one's today, it's a nice freezing cold day today.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Very nice! Its got that dry carbon look that i like.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #3

Garage
i like

I love it actually... looks very fresh and professional. im amazed and that is about as good as i can explain it.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #4

I'm usually not a fan of "fake" carbon fiber but that looks really nice. I might actually consider adding this to the '99 to add some flare to a pretty boring interior. Can you post some more pictures? What does it feel like?

Props for trying something new. Looks like you did a great job with the install.

SB
Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
JTP

I'm not a fan of fake CF but this stuff seems very cool. I would have to see how it feels before I would commit to it. Their website has some interesting videos showing the film being applied.

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:39 AM   #6

Thanks for the great comments. Believe me, I'm not a fan either of the black and silver squares printed on vinyl. Just isn't my thing. Most faux carbon looks just as it's named. This really does look like c/f though. But to answer your question, it has a raised feel to the black print so it feels like c/f fabric would. I have a piece of real c/f raw fabric here and Dinoc is very convincing next to the fabric. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

For you two interested above. I'd be willing to send you guys out a small sample piece because I too was skeptical but, just had to bite the bullet or buy a $10 sample. Not the greatest marketing technique. I understand the stuff is pretty pricey but, I got a couple samples of other things that claimed "better than Dinoc", similar but, the fact that this stretches with heat is a serious plus. Corners and curves are no problem.

scbrintley and JTP pm me your address.

BTW, I bought it from www.carbonfibergear.com. Really good experience, great customer service and it was packaged appropriately. I happen to buy it on sale and I got the 6'x4' piece and paid about $120 but, I looked the other day and I believe it was about $170 now.

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 12-13-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #7

I actually did this to almost all the interior parts with the leather coating that had scratches lol, the interrior has a 2 tone theme now. Will try to upload pics when I can get the time to take some Love the 3M sticker quality tho.
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #8

Looks really good. Makes me want to wrap my Boxster exterior in that stuff... for the scratch protection, you know.
Have you considered painting the silver part of the shifter? It comes off prety easy.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by al83s
Have you considered painting the silver part of the shifter? It comes off prety easy.
I'm gong to paint it yellow when I do my interior door handles and my rear diffusers. I'm even thinking of painting the plastic piece right below the windshield that always gets completely sun faded. It may look good body color but, more than likely will be black again.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #10

Garage
Good find!
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:22 AM   #11

Yellowboxster, I am thinking about doing something like this with the Dinoc film. Do you have more pics of your complete interior after you put everything back together?
--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #12

i had been thinking about wrapping the door pocket lids and those little black plastic pieces adjacent to the door pulls.... the ones you wrapped... i was thinkig of doing them in leather like Pedro did..but that stuf flooks pretty good!

i'd also consider painting myh pieces... i've already got a painted center console... and I wonder if more painted pieces woudl be "tooo much"... or if doing carbon fber woudl add one too many different colors/textures to the interior...

i have full leather so the ideea of adding a bit more leather..provided I could match it pretty close..woudl be nice.

my car has to go in for a new rear plastic window at an upholster shop, and I was thinking of having the "pros" do those parts for me..they coudl do it cheap and it woudl look good...

overall - great job.

oh yeah - CLEAN THAT CAR!!! it's filthy!!!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #13

Love it!!! Have subscribed to this thread and ordered some!

How did you go with the ignition surround being a flexible rubber type surface? Looking
forward to seeing other parts you do, can't wait to start covering all my ugly
plain black plastic parts!

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
jendra

It was just liked car mania world where I have preferred more car. I liked all the photos, I am also confused to chosen best car because all the car had been made so cute and also pretty nice. I have found more racing console car But I can not find it Which I want see. I hope that Someone will specify its photos as soon.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker
Love it!!! Have subscribed to this thread and ordered some!

How did you go with the ignition surround being a flexible rubber type surface? Looking
forward to seeing other parts you do, can't wait to start covering all my ugly
plain black plastic parts!

Sam
Wow, I haven't been on here in ages. It adheres great to the rubber once you heat it up. I have done several other of my interior pieces and went crazy over Christmas last year and covered most of the light switch plates, speaker tops, and microwave in my father's new garage.

It's really easy to work with Dinoc. I tried a couple others but, nothing looked more real and was as easy to work with. Post pictures of your interior!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #16

don't get the fascination with this stuff. looks plain gross to me. It's got to take away from the resale value as well.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppmo
"don't get the fascination with this stuff. looks plain gross to me. It's got to take away from the resale value as well."

Thanks for your opinion.
your welcome :ah:
Old 03-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #18

looks very good! accents here and there would not hurt. thanks for your post
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #19

anybody else did this that have pics? im looking to wrap some pieces since they're scratched up. does the cut on the edges need to be perfect? or can you just trim and wrap them behind the pieces. Once installed, you won't be able to see the imperfections on the bottom right?

ASpec818 is offline   Reply With Quote