Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
egs, my dad told me about a guy who worked at one of the local Mercedes dealerships and decided to take out a customer's car for a spin and turn off the traction control. He basically wiped out a very expensive car that wasn't his. Needless to say, he lost his job.

I haven't turned mine off yet but my dad has ridden in the car and gone, "What's this little button," with his finger poised to press it. I just hope if I ever lend him my car he'll remember not to turn it off. I recall hearing a story a while back from a Porsche salesman who lost control of a Boxster when he tried to drive it like a BMW.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #22
eqs

LoveBunny, it's ok to press the PSM switch, nothing will happen - unless you have it floored and are taking a 90 deg corner.

It will interject when the program determines that certain things are happening to the car ...... that shouldn't. You can go to the Porsche site or other sites and google PSM.

Try it out in a slippery location (ie. empty wet parking lot) and floor the car and turn hard at the same time. See what happens. You'll like PSM if you want to maintain control, but will want it off if you want to power drift.

On the Benz a dash icon lights up when that stability control is working. It's kind of neat to see the little light flash on and off when you lose, then gain grip again. I haven't tried this in the 987S, so I'm not sure if a little light flashes on and off too.

And hey, let your dad drive your car. He should have fun too. I've let only very close family and friends drive mine, and boy do they love it .... especially when I tell them to floor it. They thank me over and over to have a chance to drive a quick car fast and really appreciate the opportunity. And yes my wife drives the car - she knew how to drive stick before we hooked up many moons ago.

Do it, your dad would love you more for it. I know I would if my daughter let me. And yes guys, my wife and kids knows about LoveBunny.

Cheers, peace, out
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #23

I guess the PSM works sort of like the traction control I had in my Lexus. When you started to skid or lose traction the light would light up on the dashboard. Needless to say, the Porsche holds on a LOT better than the Lexus SUV did. Now when I go back to driving it (my dad has it now) I have to remind myself to slow down around corners a lot.

I'd gladly let my dad drive my Boxster. I've offered for him to use it and he hasn't yet. Says he wants to though. I'd let any of my family members drive it or anyone else that I know is responsible enough not to damage it. A guy my dad knows has a Ferrari and says he'll trade a ride in the Boxster for the Ferrari. I wonder if he means a DRIVE? Probably not.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #24
eqs

I'd take him up on it. Let him drive yours, then swap when you get back. As long as you have the same tranny as he does, and you know to drive it, he should be ok with that - I would be, especially being your dad's friend. I know that I did cringe a little bit when guys didn't shift the way they should. Keep the revs up reasonably, shift smooth, and don't burn out the clutch by riding it.

Not many people have a chance to drive a Fcar. Seems like a good opportunity to me! Go for it!

And yeah it's kind of like traction control, with a few more parameters thrown in the software mapping to control more than just the driving wheels.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to 6speed
Hahaha

Wow that was great! He used the darkside to force the mustang to oversteer!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqs
I'd take him up on it. Let him drive yours, then swap when you get back. As long as you have the same tranny as he does, and you know to drive it, he should be ok with that - I would be, especially being your dad's friend. I know that I did cringe a little bit when guys didn't shift the way they should. Keep the revs up reasonably, shift smooth, and don't burn out the clutch by riding it.

Not many people have a chance to drive a Fcar. Seems like a good opportunity to me! Go for it!

And yeah it's kind of like traction control, with a few more parameters thrown in the software mapping to control more than just the driving wheels.
Well, one of the things I want to do before I die is drive a Ferrari, but I'm not sure he's actually willing to let me drive it. Honestly, I'd be a little scared to. I have no doubt he'd take care of any damage he did to my Boxster if it happened. I don't think I could afford to fix much on a Ferrari. But I'll be excited to even go for a ride in it. This is his third Ferrari and he took me for a ride in the other two and it was a lot of fun.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #27
eqs

Sounds like a nice guy. Show him that post and I bet he'll let you drive it. It's only a car - and if he thinks you're at all a good daughter, he'll do it. Tell him eqs said it's ok. ok ....ok.

Oh and here's that youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYWk-nat1ok

It was wet out there, and that guy was going fast. Show that to your dad - the new 997s are amazing compared to before.

Ciao, peace, out. :dance:

Last edited by eqs; 04-27-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added youtube clip
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #28

I think the guy in the video was acting like such a dufus because he knew he was being videoed and that it would end up on Youtube. But it was still funny. Thanks for sharing.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #29
eqs

gm, that's a show that's been airing in the UK for a while now and the guy says things tongue in cheek b/c it's good for the ratings and keeps people watching it.

Don't know that much about Topgear as I don't live over there, but if you look past the silly comedic comments, it does tell you a thing or two about the car(s) in question.

Anyways thx, cheers