Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
HB.

New radio -- Pioneer AVH-P5900DVD

Yesterday I installed my new radio, when I purchased the car, it already had a after market radio, a Sony MEX-BT2500. There was nothing wrong with the Sony unit, and it performed quite well. I had a Pioneer DVD unit in my previous Boxster, which I really enjoyed. The remote and touch screen capabilities makes it easier to navigate through the unit's menu, even though I don't really use the remote, it's more for the passenger if they choose to play DJ when I'm not up to it.

The new DVD players restrict you from viewing any DVDs while the car is in motion, but I bypassed that system, and installed a toggle switch to the left of the player to enable me to view movies while I'm driving (I really only use it while I'm on long trips). As of right now I have the basic setup, I will be adding my hook-ups for my iPod, satellite radio, reverse camera, and navigation in the weeks to come. I think I'll also change up the toggle switch so that it blends in more with the interior.

I spent about an hour last night configuring the setting for the Pioneer unit, there is so much you can do with it, and it sounds really nice even with the factory speakers. I'm planning on adding the rear speaker kit some time in the future, with the extra speakers blasting from behind my ears it should really have a nice sound effect.

On my previous Boxster I had the a similar Pioneer unit (Pioneer AVH-6500DVD) mounted in the din right below the temperature control. This is a good eye level position, but the problems you run into are, with the screen open, it will overlap your AC vents, plus any vehicle behind you can see what you are playing. Also during daylight hours, it can be hard to see the screen if you are playing a movie. Mounting the unit in the lower din, all the controls are much easier reach, you can't see the screen from outside of the car from behind or beside you. I am not sure about viewing the screen during daylight hours with the top down yet since it was too cold outside yesterday.

(Please forgive the crappy pictures, it was too cold to drop the top for me to set the camera on my tri-pod behind the car)

Old Sony head unit

Pioneer box

Pioneer in closed position

Radio

Some options

No video viewing

Press OK, and you can view the video

DeJa Vu

HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #2

HB,

Looks good ! Sunset Imports has the rear speaker kits for $130 :

http://www.****************************************************.com/porscheparts.php

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
that looks like a very nice install.
did you have to get the installation stuff for it?

btw, its a great unit for the price, ENjoy
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
HB.

Nick, I was just looking at their special 2 days ago, and I will most likely call them tomorrow for details.

dj, I got it at a fantastic price, about $300.00 off suggested retail. I got it just as it hit the market and I believe the 5700 was being replaced. It would be great if I could remember the website that I purchased it from I didn't have to use any additional parts since the parts were already in place from the Sony head unit.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #5

One of my upcoming mods will be a new head unit, I currently have one of the Premier Pioneer units but I am getting tired of the blue lights.

One of my options is a unit similar to yours, keep us informed on if you can read/see the screen with the top down during the day.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #6
HB.

No problem, I can tell you from my previous Boxster, you can see the radio, CD, menu etc etc screens just fine, just viewing any types of videos were the problem. I'm hoping it's not the same in this lower position. What is your current Pioneer model? Most of the newer models have a option to change the lights at least from blue to red. As you can barely see in the pics above the buttons are red. The default was blue. This model the screen can be changed from blue to red, amber, green, violet.

Another issue that I recall was with my first Boxster '99, it had what I believe was a factory amp in the front trunk (didn't have the bose sound system) when you played the radio there was a slight hissing sound when you started to accelerate. I had a local shop add some filters to cut down on the hiss. With my '97 model, it doesn't have the amp, and I have no hissing issues. I don't know if it's caused by the amp, the wiring, or the older model head unit. If you are having someone else install these units, let them know about this concern. They might have to take a quick test run to make sure it doesn't hiss.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #7

That is a great looking unit.

I assume that you don't watch movies while driving in traffic?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #8

I attached a picture of the unit. Its a Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
If I could change the buttons to red It would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB.
No problem, I can tell you from my previous Boxster, you can see the radio, CD, menu etc etc screens just fine, just viewing any types of videos were the problem. I'm hoping it's not the same in this lower position. What is your current Pioneer model? Most of the newer models have a option to change the lights at least from blue to red. As you can barely see in the pics above the buttons are red. The default was blue. This model the screen can be changed from blue to red, amber, green, violet.

Another issue that I recall was with my first Boxster '99, it had what I believe was a factory amp in the front trunk (didn't have the bose sound system) when you played the radio there was a slight hissing sound when you started to accelerate. I had a local shop add some filters to cut down on the hiss. With my '97 model, it doesn't have the amp, and I have no hissing issues. I don't know if it's caused by the amp, the wiring, or the older model head unit. If you are having someone else install these units, let them know about this concern. They might have to take a quick test run to make sure it doesn't hiss.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #9

I have the Pioneer unit too and love it!
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
HB.

Brucelee, of course I wouldn't do something like that Really, I don't really play movies while I'm driving around town. However, I do while I'm driving to and from work, which is about 30 minutes of very light highway driving each way.

Gary, it only looks like you can change the screen saver, and the background image I did have a opportunity to drop the top today for a brief moment. There were a few clouds in the sky but the sun was still shinning down. I had no problems viewing the screen with and without sunglasses. I'll try to take a pic one day if I get a chance.

boxs2000, what model is yours? That's where I had my old unit mounted. It's not bad sitting there, but I'm really liking the lower position better. Is yours strictly a navi unit or a AVH? Glad you are enjoying it, they are really fantastic setups.

edit: lol nevermind I see the DVD logo on the bottom right hand corner

Last edited by HB.; 11-09-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #11

hb,

With your new radio, can you listen to the radio, xm, or cd without the screen up?

I have been looking into the same radio you have now but I am not sure I like the idea of always having the screen out.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #12

Nice setup HB. What's that little red and silver thingy in where the wiper dial goes on the left console strip?
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #13

I think the doo hickey is the switch that allows him to watch movies on his way to work.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #14
HB.

You can keep the screen closed and still listen to all the different functions. Navigating from one to the other isn't as quick with the screen closed. With the screen closed, the remote does help switching from one option to the next without taking your eyes off the road. The newer units such as mine if you choose to have the remote, you will need to buy it separate. There were plenty of times when I had my old unit I drove around with the screen closed, especially at night when I didn't want to see the light from the screen all the time.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Nice setup HB. What's that little red and silver thingy in where the wiper dial goes on the left console strip?
David, as Gary mentioned it's a toggle switch that grounds one of the wires so that you can view videos while you are in motion. You could probably rig it to work without the toggle switch. I installed a Jensen VM9312 into my girlfriend's Scion tC which didn't require a toggle switch.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #16

Ok last question (for now) i know I can change the background color, but can the buttons change color also?
Ok I just looked this up and the buttons on the panel can change colors between blue and red.

And how about uploading pictures for backgrounds or screensavers?

Last edited by Gary in BR; 11-10-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #17
HB.

Sure no problem

Pioneer has a screen saver studio software. You can either download their pre made screen savers, or you can create your own from images or movies. If you've created your own, all you need to do is burn the finished product to a CD and insert it into your Pioneer head unit. You can dowload the software from here http://pioneer.jp/car/pclink3a/index-e.html

I hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #18

boxs2000, what model is yours? That's where I had my old unit mounted. It's not bad sitting there, but I'm really liking the lower position better. Is yours strictly a navi unit or a AVH? Glad you are enjoying it, they are really fantastic setups.

Its the Avic-N3 I do have the ipod and satelite radio hooked up and yes it does work with the iphone's ipod . I was going to mount mine in the lower location (i did my full system set up myself) but doing the trial fitting, I did not like the unit being so close to my shift knob. I could see my hand constantly hitting the radio during hard shift etc especially during auto cross etc. Also having a bigger screen it hits the shift knob when it folds in and out. So I relocated my AC control to the lowest cubby and installed some cup holders to cover the space and installed a custom ipod holder in the center arm rest out of view.

I too did the hack so that dvd's can be watched while moving, I did not do it for that purpose, I did it because it allows you to operate the navigation while in motion. (originally you must have the e-brake up to use navi) :dance:
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #19
HB.

Nice!

That is strange how your screen would hit the shifter. You have a 6.5 inch screen, like my old unit. My current unit has a 7 inch screen, and it has no clearance problems. In a couple weeks I will be ordering the 996 turbo spoiler switch to relocate the switch by the foot well to one of the empty blank spots. I think I'll also use another 996 switch to relocate the toggle switch I have installed so that it looks cleaner, but I haven't decided which switch I want to use yet.