Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpanther69
nah i didnt leave the key in the ignition. i was going to sell it to this kid so i let him take it for a test drive. and well he never came back.
How old was this 'kid' you let test drive your Boxster?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to chpanther69
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
How old was this 'kid' you let test drive your Boxster?
he was 24. i later found out that he was actually a drug dealer. i guess thats what you get for a friend "knowing" someone whos a "good" guy. cops were worthless might i add. i knew the kids full name and where he lived and they wouldnt do anything about it. they said they had to investigate further.
chpanther69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #23
boxsterz

Quote:
... anyone know how to get the front end straight? look at the first pic i posted and you'll see what im talking about

Having the "frame" straight will set the foundation for all your future body work. Get it down to a frame shop and have it straightened, you can't do that type of work yourself without specialized heavy equipment. Otherwise the car will handle funny or be unsafe, fenders won't hang straight, and make for hellish bodywork.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
Having the "frame" straight will set the foundation for all your future body work. Get it down to a frame shop and have it straightened, you can't do that type of work yourself without specialized heavy equipment. Otherwise the car will handle funny or be unsafe, fenders won't hang straight, and make for hellish bodywork.
yea that sounds good, i was actually looking into that yesterday. my old high school has a body shop class, and they actually have a frame straightener. so i guess i will have to wait until school starts back up to get that part done. unless someone on here knows of a place that will do it for like 300 bucks.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #25
boxsterz

so the "kid" is older than you by 4 years?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
so the "kid" is older than you by 4 years?
yea, i call him a kid because hes an immature punk. lol
Old 08-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #27

So.. what kind of "title" does the car have after an accident like this? If insurance would have "covered" it, would they have totaled it out?

I know some states have pretty strict guidelines when a "salvage" title car is rebuilt. Not sure if they would apply in your situation though. Also, if the car stays in your hands, does a place like "carfax" ever learn of the rebuilding?

Good luck on your project!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
So.. what kind of "title" does the car have after an accident like this? If insurance would have "covered" it, would they have totaled it out?

I know some states have pretty strict guidelines when a "salvage" title car is rebuilt. Not sure if they would apply in your situation though. Also, if the car stays in your hands, does a place like "carfax" ever learn of the rebuilding?

Good luck on your project!
the car has a clean title, didnt have insurance when the wreck occurred. and since it is staying in my hand i suppose carfax would never know. so pretty much down the road if i fix it right i can sell it as never wrecked. altho i would never do that because karma's a ********************, thats why im taking all these pictures, so i can show a future potential buyer the damage before and how it was fixed.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #29

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
You going to have a hell of a time convincing someone it wasnt in a wreck once they open the trunk lid and see the odd curve around the trunk seal since it not the original shape

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
You going to have a hell of a time convincing someone it wasnt in a wreck once they open the trunk lid and see the odd curve around the trunk seal since it not the original shape
of course im going to tell them its been in a wreck, im not an ****************************. lol. well not completely anyways. but yea anybody have any spare parts they are wanting to get rid of?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #31

This thread reminds me of one of my all time favorite movies; Fast Times at Ridgemont High...

Spicoli: People on 'ludes should not drive.

Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill us! He's gonna kill you and he's gonna kill me! He's gonna kill us!

Spicoli: Hey man, just be glad I had fast reflexes!

Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna ****************!

Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna **************** or is he gonna kill us?

Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna ****************, then he's gonna kill us!

Spicoli: Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got the ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Jefferson's Brother: You can't fix this car Spicoli!

Spicoli: I can fix it.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #32
boxsterz

Good movie. The pizza scene is what I recall most.

Spicoli: You dick!

lol
Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #33

Best quote ever :

Jeff Spicoli: All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #34

Good luck and thanks very much for posting the photos etc.

I would recommend that you find a frame EXPERT to do the frame work before you proceed.

Unibody cars are VERY TOUGH to get right, even for the best of them. You wouldn't want to complete the job and find out the car pulls to the left and there is nothing you can do about it.

This might be money well spent.

Thanks!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #35

yea im taking it monday to a place call dfw frame. we will see how much this is gona cost me.. anybody know how much it usually costs?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #36

An absolute waste of time ....

IMNSHO

to try, as one not doing this every day, to try and repair it. I had a '99 with similar damage (2 years ago so it was worth a lot more than yours is now, 22k miles and it was absolutely pristine before I wrecked it) and the body shop stopped counting at $26k, lots more than a 99 was worth then and loads more than they are worth now.

I thought, after the accident, that $5-6k would fix it up. But the frame damage made that figure start climbing...and up and up it went the more they investigated.

So I'd ask why they totaled it (now it gets a salvage title even if repaired correctly) and if they put it on a frame machine. If they did, stop and sell it for parts. If they didn't, then perhaps it is worth while to have someone who has the required Porsche "jigs" to measure it and give you an estimate of what they can do to repair/straighten the frame. This is not a job for amateurs. Then figure out, once you have paid to straighten the frame, how much more you'd have to spend before it would make sense just to buy another example of the '99s.

Good luck.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
IMNSHO

to try, as one not doing this every day, to try and repair it. I had a '99 with similar damage (2 years ago so it was worth a lot more than yours is now, 22k miles and it was absolutely pristine before I wrecked it) and the body shop stopped counting at $26k, lots more than a 99 was worth then and loads more than they are worth now.

I thought, after the accident, that $5-6k would fix it up. But the frame damage made that figure start climbing...and up and up it went the more they investigated.

So I'd ask why they totaled it (now it gets a salvage title even if repaired correctly) and if they put it on a frame machine. If they did, stop and sell it for parts. If they didn't, then perhaps it is worth while to have someone who has the required Porsche "jigs" to measure it and give you an estimate of what they can do to repair/straighten the frame. This is not a job for amateurs. Then figure out, once you have paid to straighten the frame, how much more you'd have to spend before it would make sense just to buy another example of the '99s.

Good luck.
maybe its because i havnt slept in two days, but that made almost no sense to me what so ever. lol i think your trying to say that its a waste of my time and money to try and fix it...?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #38

Quote:
maybe its because i havnt slept in two days, but that made almost no sense to me what so ever. lol i think your trying to say that its a waste of my time and money to try and fix it...?
While it wasn't easy to read it, the main question is "what will it cost for a pro to straighten the "frame" since only at that point should you put things back on it..."

Only after the "pro" estimate can you have a true idea of what your out of pocket expense may be.

It could be cheaper, in the long run, to find another used '99 then it is to fix your car.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
While it wasn't easy to read it, the main question is "what will it cost for a pro to straighten the "frame" since only at that point should you put things back on it..."

Only after the "pro" estimate can you have a true idea of what your out of pocket expense may be.

It could be cheaper, in the long run, to find another used '99 then it is to fix your car.

gotchya, thanks man. and yea i am taking up to a place on monday to get an estimate. im hoping its not too much tho. but the good news is that i got a letter yesterday saying they found and arrested the guy who stole my car. so yay for that.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #40

Quote:
gotchya, thanks man. and yea i am taking up to a place on monday to get an estimate. im hoping its not too much tho. but the good news is that i got a letter yesterday saying they found and arrested the guy who stole my car. so yay for that.
If they found the guy.. and can prove he did it, does your possession of the car (which is in fact "evidence") and the work you have already done (in essence, "tainted evidence") hurt your ability to go after him? (not that he necessarily has the money to pay you for damages caused (per se))

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)