Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #21

Stop. Now. For the love of god!

I've never understood the desire by some to butcher Porsche's in such a way. It screams poser - and makes your lack of taste and good sense known to everyone.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #22
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RAD
Stop. Now. For the love of god!

I've never understood the desire by some to butcher Porsche's in such a way. It screams poser - and makes your lack of taste and good sense known to everyone.

lol, half the boxster owners ARE posers

This is not such a bad proposition if the donor was a wreck. How about a GN powerplant which made it as fast/faster than the read deal. That, I may have to give a second thought.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #23

I'm not trying to start anything but it's clear that J-Rad only like Boxsters bone stock with NO body kits. Everyone is entitle to their own opion, that doesn't mean they have bad taste, just different. I like giving the out dated looking boxster a good face lift to make it more modern looking. Especialy if you love your boxster but don't want to buy a new 07 one. But I have to agree, I'm not a fan of the Carera GT conversion kit.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I'm not trying to start anything but it's clear that J-Rad only like Boxsters bone stock with NO body kits.
No, that's not it - although it is true that the Boxster lines are so incredibly beautiful that they don't need to be "improved" upon (at least the 986 anyway ).

Porsche (as well as a couple other aftermarket tuners) even designed a couple of the aero-kits for the Boxster and, generally speaking, they look good. This is because they compliment the lines of the car, rather than fight them. However, there is a point where add ons become too much. And there is quite a big difference between adding a subtle body kit to the car and trying to make it into something else completely, as is the case here.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 08-29-2007 at 04:13 PM.
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:23 AM   #25

Does anyone know the actual cost of that conversion?, and if it were my boxster, I will do RK spyder over the carrera GT wanna be.
tdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RAD
No, that's not it - although it is true that the Boxster lines are so incredibly beautiful that they don't need to be "improved" upon (at least the 986 anyway ).

Porsche (as well as a couple other aftermarket tuners) even designed a couple of the aero-kits for the Boxster and, generally speaking, they look good. This is because they compliment the lines of the car, rather than fight them. However, there is a point where add ons become too much. And there is quite a big difference between adding a subtle body kit to the car and trying to make it into something else completely, as is the case here.

Thats cool. I get what you are saying. And I agree. I think changing the front bumper like I did is very subtle. But I hate to ask what you think. Changing the whole car, yes it just doesn't make much sence to me either.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog
Does anyone know the actual cost of that conversion?, and if it were my boxster, I will do RK spyder over the carrera GT wanna be.
The RK SPYDER looks great, but will only work if you have a 987 and not a 986.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #28

Even though I am not a fan of altering the classic lines of the Boxster, over all I think the car looks cool. Just get rid of the mirrors and the rollbar surround and market it as a widebody kit. This may appeal to a wider audience that prefer not to be associated with knock offs. I personally think it looks like the Boxster version of Gemballa Avalanche.

One thing I can't stand on a sports car is "chrome wheels", it make me sick to my stomach. Chrome is the enemy because weight is the enemy. If you would like to portray performance, try putting on a less heavy looking wheel.

Good luck on the kit.
kwakr738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #29

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I'm not trying to start anything but it's clear that J-Rad only like Boxsters bone stock with NO body kits. Everyone is entitle to their own opion, that doesn't mean they have bad taste, just different. I like giving the out dated looking boxster a good face lift to make it more modern looking. Especialy if you love your boxster but don't want to buy a new 07 one. But I have to agree, I'm not a fan of the Carera GT conversion kit.

there is a difference between updating a car and enhancing its look but letting it still be what it is and was meant to be. Trying to change it into a whole different car, IMO, is just cheap looking no matter how well the job is done. But that's just my opinion.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote