Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #1

"Cylinder 6 misfire" code

My CEL light came on and I found out that it's diagnosed as a "cylinder 6 misfire" code. For those of you that are more mechanically sound or have experience with this error code, what does it mean? Is it a plug, a coil, or something else more serious? PLEASE HELP... Thank you.

Oh yeah, my car is a 98 non s with 49000 miles.

D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #2

Hi,

It could be any number of things like a Bad Plug, Bad Coil, Loose electrical connector to the coil, even leaky spark plug tube 'O' rings.

First, I'd change the plugs, especially if they're original, checking the spark plug and spark plug tube for Oil indicating the 'O' rings are bad. See if that doesn't correct it. If not, then suspect the Coil. All fairly easy stuff to check. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:51 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to EuroProjektzKelvin
Mis fire

If you have not done a single modification to this Boxster 98 non s with 49,000 miles.

And most likely you put quality gasoline into your engine.

Your spark plugs should be fine, Your coils can go bad but not likely porsche did a extensive research on those coil over plug to last. Spark plug tube O ring not likely if you didn't tamper with it.

IF you have changed your air filter or cleaned it, it would dirty your Mass air flow sensor to give false reading to your PCM and cause mis-fire.

Or if you have the oil type air filter like K&N etc. if over oiled the oil will fly into your Mass air flow sensor and cause it to have false reading and mis-fire.

If you have clean air filter, and no mods are made i recommend you to clear the codes and have a close to empty tank and try another gas station preferably Chevron or Shell. then if the code is still coming back it would most likely be your MAF, if not that it would be the spark plugs.

I've seen some boxster run very rich and some very lean. its hard to diagnosis a car based a word on a forum.

Hope this helps

With new fuel in your fuel tank run it for a while

EuroProjektzKelvin is offline   Reply With Quote