Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #1

Litronic upgrade kit for 99 boxster?

Just the headlamps to go in my 'deambering' and I was considering Litronic versus Halogen.

I dont need the 'dipping' feature, my porsche centre tells me my car isnt wired for litronic, but Ive heard it is possible with a bit of work , changing fuses etc?

Given than we are RHD here in Europe, does anyone know the kit or parts I should order?

If its possible, Im going to attempt the fit using these instructions.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_litronic/litronic_pg1a.htm

Any advice for me?

G

gdwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Go to suncoast Porsche, they are having a sale and they have a link to the factory directions. The directions are oddly worded, perhaps a German to English conversion. Once you understand what they are saying it's really a simple task with a bit of wiring and solder depending on what method you choose to tap into the harness.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:02 AM   #3

Thanks Man!
gdwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #4

its simple...

You can do a straight plug and play with the litronic. No wiring neccesary. If you remove your old amber lights and plug in the lits it will work, BUT only the low beams, no high beam. You can buy the module on ebay and this will only take a few wires to hook up and this will allow you to use high beam feature (the projector lamp will actually move up to aim higher. What I believe you are mis understanding is the non litronic cars, is not wired for the self leveling system (this is when you turn the headlights on you actually see the beam adjusting up and down untill it adjust to the proper level.) As far as you car being a RHD it does not matter because they are wired the same. What I have heard is in certain countries in Europe have a certain requirement if your are retrofitting litronics unfortunately, I do not know what those specific requirements are so better check with your local authorities.
986s sport design pkg, aerokit 1, litronics,deviating seat stitching, guards red seat belts, cf ebrake/shift knob,ssk, sport seats, hard top, full alpine system with 8" sub, mb quart speakers, Champion rg5, Eibach springs, sport exhaust, rear stess bars, custom ecu program, desnorkle intake, euro bumper, rear diffuser
ray986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #5

ray986s,

When say low beams only with a plug and play, do you mean the high beams won't work at all or that the low beams will not adjust upward?

I'm getting the litronics and was planning on doing the plug and play because what's the point of doing all the wiring if all you get is the low beams adjusting upward 5 degrees.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFERR
ray986s,

When say low beams only with a plug and play, do you mean the high beams won't work at all or that the low beams will not adjust upward?

I'm getting the litronics and was planning on doing the plug and play because what's the point of doing all the wiring if all you get is the low beams adjusting upward 5 degrees.

Thanks
That's correct it will not tilt up for the high beam. I did the wiring myself and it was very easy and it did not take very long. Even if you are not very handy, but can follow directions it will only take about 30 minutes... its worth wiring it up for the highbeam. I drive many dark roads and tilting it up for the highbeam really makes a difference.
986s sport design pkg, aerokit 1, litronics,deviating seat stitching, guards red seat belts, cf ebrake/shift knob,ssk, sport seats, hard top, full alpine system with 8" sub, mb quart speakers, Champion rg5, Eibach springs, sport exhaust, rear stess bars, custom ecu program, desnorkle intake, euro bumper, rear diffuser
ray986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #7

Just to clarify, the litronics do have a high beam lamp separate from the xenon lamp used for low beam, and it does work when you hit your brights without any of the extra wiring put into the car.

The wiring just swivels up the xenon bulbs to throw a bright light a little further down the road. It's worth doing if you ask me as well.... dark roads are really lit up when the headlamps are wired up right.

FYI, of everything I have done to my old boxster, this is my favorite. It not only makes the car look newer, but it's totally state of the art and makes me feel like I'm driving a 2 year old boxster at night, not a 10 year old car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #8

Hey guys, I have the litronic kit here and i'm about to install them, and i also have the module...

was just wondering what wires go into what # for the plug in kit. i have a green, purple, gray and pink wire... and a plug that is 1-4... any specific order? Also where do you tap into the harness? my white wire and my red/black wire, where do they go? the brown is obviously the ground... but clueless as to where everything else should go... thx in advance for any helpful tips..
gemballaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #9

Doubt if the guy from Dublin wants a LHD kit from Suncoast.

For the other guy.

On the 4 pin connector that goes to the back of the headlight. Pink to #1. Green to #2. Gray to #3. Violet to #5.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote