Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #1

2004 Boxster S Dead Battery Advice?

I have a 2004 Boxster S that I may drive once a week fairly short distances. The last few times I drove the car I noticed the battery sounded a bit week. I drove the car about 50 miles today and I went to start the car and there was not enough juice to turn it over. The existing battery looks original and the low battery light did not come on. I have the hood open.

Would you recommend replacing the battery or trying to charge it?

Thanks.

Breezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #2

You can try to charge it; it certainly won't hurt, but after a 50 mile trip, getting the results you did?

I think it's time for a new one- it was in my case.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #3

The battery is pretty new and should be good if it was properly maintained. I would try charging it and see if the problem reaccurs. It could be a bad alternator but more than likely it's the battery if the problem persists.

Last edited by Adam; 02-23-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #4

The 04 I just bought already has a replacement battery. It only has 7400 miles, so I'm sure it sat alot. I read some old posts, and someone last year ran into the same problem. The warranty didn't cover it, $280 for a factory replacement, or about a $100 for an interstate MTP-91. Have the battery and alternator tested to see what the culprit is.
90red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:27 AM   #5

Smile

The battery COULD very easily by shot. The OEM batteries from Porsche are JUNK and the Boxster draws quite a bit when just sitting. These batteries do not do well without a lot of driving.

You can buy a fine battery at Coscto for $52. plus tax and install yourself, it is easy.

Since a charge is likely free (if you have a charger, highly recommended) give it 24 hour charge and see what happends.

Odds are it is a goner.

Bosch batteries are the pits.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #6

Costco was still closed when I went by so I ended up at AutoZone. The battery came back as bad on their tester. In turn, bought a Duralast for $69. It appears to be charging fine now and good to go. Thanks for the assitance.

By the way, this 2004S is for sale in So Cal. I will post a link to autotrader in the classified section. Thanks again.
Breezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #7

Yes, I would agree with the stock battery being bad. I barely have 1500 miles on my 07 987 and I let it sit for about 5 or 6 days and the battery was completely gone. This is in So. Cal. too so it is not like it gets super cold here.
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #8

I can vouch for that, the stock batteries aren't very good and still overpriced, I did get 6 years out of it, in a lot of cases it was always only just turning the car over.

Just replaced it, the new battery seems to be holding up, though the boxster draws a lot of juice for some reason..
911-996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911-996
I can vouch for that, the stock batteries aren't very good and still overpriced, I did get 6 years out of it, in a lot of cases it was always only just turning the car over.

Just replaced it, the new battery seems to be holding up, though the boxster draws a lot of juice for some reason..
I would assume that opening / closing the top without the car running would put a huge strain on the battery.

Just a guess...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #10

Smile

Not really a top issue, as the 911 coupes are deadly on the batteries also.

It seems to be a combo of electrical draw issues when the Box is sitting.

Plus, the OEM battery is junk.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #11

I dont understand

I dont understand this "cant get the hood open if the battery is dead?

I have a 2000S and it seems like it is a cable operated latch...
And even if that isnt true, I just pulled out my right headlight to change a bulb and saw there was a pull cable behind the front bumper, so if i reached my hand through the vent and up I could grab the cable, pull and the hood would open..

Dont you all have that? I didnt put it there and it looks like a factory item.
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
boggtown

yes, we all have the cable, but you cant get to it unless you move it to the tow hole, or the corner of your headlight. You cant reach through the vent.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #13

Hi,

Most people don't have a clue as to the consequences of deep-discharging of a Lead-Acid battery. The SAE conducted tests and found on average that a Lead-Acid Battery loses 15% of it ability to fully recharge with each deep-discharge (such as through power drain from infrequent, or non-use).

To put that into perspective, if you have a battery which is not maintained, but infrequently used, on average, the Battery will be incapable of holding a charge after only 6-7 discharges.

This is due primarily to sulphate crystal formation and the shorting of plates within the Battery due to the sulpahte crystals which fall from the grids in the plates to the bottom of the case, eventually bridging a pathway between plates shorting them out.

Given this, the $25-$75 purchase price of a quality low-amperage maintainer w/ Float capability seems both very economical and prudent...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 AM   #14

Smile

Interesting,

I just had a 328I sit in my garage for about 6 weeks. I got nervous about the battery and put my charger on it. The battery was down maybe 10%.

My box and 911s were dead as a door nail at 4 weeks.

This is in SOCAL weather.

Go figure.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Interesting,

I just had a 328I sit in my garage for about 6 weeks. I got nervous about the battery and put my charger on it. The battery was down maybe 10%.

My box and 911s were dead as a door nail at 4 weeks.

This is in SOCAL weather.

Go figure.
4 weeks? Your lucky. Mine dies in 6 days. It makes it very annoying when I wake up one morning and get in the mood to take the Boxster to work.

aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote