Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #1

Squealing Brakes - HELP!

Hey all,

About 9K miles ago, I replaced my front/rear pads and rotors on my 2002 Boxster. Now, those damn brakes squeal whenever I brake. Sounds like a high pitched cry or something!

The car brakes fine and the brake wear lights aren't on...have any of your experienced this and if so, how the hell do I get rid of that damn noise!?!?

I don't drive the car hard and don't ride my brakes at all. Could it be that in just 9K miles the brakes and rotors have gone??

Thanks in advance!!!!

USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #2

What kind of pads did you use?

I use Mintex Red Box and never have any noise. When I had the OEM pads on it, I would get some noise. A good trip down the highway at 85mph then hard braking would get rid of the noise for a few thousand miles. I think it has to do with the pads glazing, especially if you don't drive it hard at all.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #3

Thanks!!

I have the OEM pads and I am going to do some hard braking tonight to get rid of the damn noise!!
USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #4

just go to c.t they have liek 5 difrent packets of goo you smush on the disks and it will stop the noise its like 5$
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #5

I always heard good performance pads would squeal anyway due to the material used. Any input?

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #6

Windstar "Sport"

I heard this from a dealer that wasn't too anxious to change out the pads on my minivan under warranty lol. I really felt better knowing that Ford was applying its racing know-how to my people mover!
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
boggtown

The fact is, racing brakes squeel because they are not meant to be driven cold, thats why you get some laps in to heat them up. These are better at fade resistance because they are meant to operate at those temperatures. A street pad will not squeel when cold but will likely fade more if track driven. So it might be the pad rubbing against the caliper. I know that sounds stupid but thats why they give you a special lubricant you put on the back of the brake pad before you put them on. That way there is no rubbing which is the main cause of sound (besides the brake pad wear thing thats designed to make a loud noise when the rotor touches it).