Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #1

Jump Starting alternatives

I have a 2001 and unfortunately my car is stored in a place w/o an electrical outlet and the battery is dead with trunk locked. I have been reading many threads here about the cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter jumper. It appears that the low amperage and the safety factor combined with the lack of fooling around with using cables to open the hood via the fuse box makes it an attractive alternative. Any thoughts? In the least I could get enough juice to get the hood open.
So with my battery completely dead, would would I need to do once started as far resetting electrical devices. I.e. windows, on board computer, alarm system and radio. Is it difficult to enter the radio code and get back to status quo or does the dealership need to get involved? What if I cannot find the radio codes?
Also based on an earlier question, I take it there is no way that I can get oil thruout the engine prior to actually firing it up. THe example I used was like taking the coil wire off and turning the engine over in order to get oil to the upper part of the engine. Any suggestions on my comments here? Thanks to all

Nunzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:28 AM   #2
bmussatti

Does your storage location have an overhead light? If so, use that for an outlet, with the proper adapter, and plug in a battery maintainer.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:40 AM   #3

Unfortunately not...just a bread and butter(but clean) secured facility. Does this sound like a viable alternative?
Old 02-17-2007, 05:31 AM   #4

Smile

If you have a portable battery pack, you can open the hood and jump it fairly quickly.

I would not worry about preoiling the engine.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #5

I second the battery pack idea as it's probably a good thing to have regardless and will make opening the hood and then jump starting a breeze. The cigarette lighter seems like a good idea, but I've never used one thus I remain skeptical about being able to start a cold dead battery...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Try one of these:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=94601

Theres versions without the compressed air.

And then if you store it often, you could consider one of these:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=36740

Aside from the radio, there's no need to do anything but start the car and drive it around when it gets power back. If you don't have the radio code, it's off to the dealer with you.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #7

When my battery is dead i always do the old trick of have a few people push my car with me in it and then just put it in 1st and let out the clutch. Does this hurt the car at all?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #8

I just ordered the Schumacher PS-250A carry along jumpstarter w/ 850 amps max and 250 cca. Is this a good brand?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoBoxster
When my battery is dead i always do the old trick of have a few people push my car with me in it and then just put it in 1st and let out the clutch. Does this hurt the car at all?
Hurts me just thinking about it.
Seriously, I thought this only worked in old cars that used generators instead of alternators.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #10

Others have used the lighter option to at least get the hood open. For whatever reason, I couldn't get the lighter charger to work for more than a few seconds. But, it was enough to pop the hood and put in a new battery. I seriously doubt the lighter jump-starters will work well enough to revive a completely dead battery.

I'd get the lighter charger to get the battery out. Don't lock the hood. Yank the battery and charge/maintain it at home. Replace when needed.

The dealer should not have to get involved with your radio unless you don't have the radio code. Entering it is easy - just push the necessary buttons (1-9).

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna986
Hurts me just thinking about it.
Seriously, I thought this only worked in old cars that used generators instead of alternators.
It should work in any car that is a manual. I did it in the Boxster once with no ill effects that I know of. I always think of it as an advantage of having a manual but never heard that it can hurt something.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #12

suggestion

My mechanic suggested an alternate charging point, meaning to run cables from the battery to an accessable area with a protective cover. This will allow you to put jumper cables on the terminals you install just to get the hood open, then you remove the battery and charge.

what you think about this?
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 AM   #13
Porscheectomy

All you should need to do is get a cigarette lighter adapter from Radio Shack for $3 and attach it to a charged battery or battery charger. This will be more than enough to get the hood open. Once open, standard jumping procedures will work.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
kbc

jump start

Its easy to jump start from fuse box.( pull out the red spot)
then you open the front hood and replace the battery.

kbc is offline   Reply With Quote