Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #1

Stalled engine - Help!!

Hello all,

A week ago, my '02 Boxster stalled with no warning (no noticeable sounds, just simply lost power). The CEL came on/flashed, and I had it towed to a local independent import garage. Though the car will re-start without a problem, it stalls after ca. 10 sec. They have had the car for a week, and still don't know what the problem is. They said the spark plugs were extremely fouled, and the error codes simply had a random misfire message. The garage did a compression test, and told me that it lost compression from most of the cylinders on one side. The car is now being towed to our local Porsche dealership, but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on what is going on. The mileage is only 32K, so I hope there isn't anything that serious - the local garage figured it's maybe something with the timing chain. I'm hoping I don't have the problem that I've seen too often on these forums - entire engine replacement...

Thanks MUCH in advance,

Brad.

fahlmanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I don't know what happened or what could have happened,but be sure to post what the issue was! Hopefully it's not too bad.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #3

Hi,

Intermediate shaft is a possibility. I hope not. Make sure that the engine is not turned over or started. When these things go awry, they usually take the engine with them. Holding a good thought, fingers crossed...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #4

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for you. However, it sounds exactly like what happened to me. Which, unfortunately, resulted in full engine replacement. Perhaps since the original shop was able to turn the engine over it's a less expensive problem.

Repeat after me: Don't take a Porsche to an indendependent shop when your car dies and a CEL comes on.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote