Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #1

Weight Loss Program and Feeling Great

Well, I tried dieting, but it's not happening. I figured the cheapest way I could trim 20 lbs of my ride would be to take it off my hide, but that did not work out. So I have turned my attention to seeing what I could do to reduce the weight of the car, here are my estimates of weight reduction efforts so far:

1. Lightweight flywheel, about 15 lbs lighter

2. Braille Lightweight Battery good 30 lighter (it weighs 15 lbs)

3. Replace spare tire with tire plugging kit and pump 25 lbs lighter

4. Headers and high-flow cats 20 lbs lighter than stock

That's about 90 lbs lighter than stock, which on a 2000 2.7L puts the dry weight of the car just under 2700 lbs. With the intake, chip and exhaust I have on the car, I am putting out a little over 200 hp to the wheels on the dyno.

Between the tuning, my new suspension, and the weight savings, this little 2.7L is feeling very spritely these days. So quick that after reading the thread on radar detectors, I think I am well overdue for one. Down the road I have been thinking of new seats, but would want light ones that have back angle adjustment, any recommendations?

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #2

ed
how do you like the lt wt fly? I love mine, it only chatters at idle, and only a bit.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #3

You can lose weight if you are just disciplined. I have had luck with my most recent efforts – I eat whatever I want and then just make myself throw up afterwards. It’s great and am losing weight fast!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
Braille

What do you think of the Braille battery? I've been thinking of going with a light weight battery, but my Boxster is a daily driver, and I'm worried about the longevity of the lightweights. BTW, I'm in Charlottesville; did you get the battery locally?
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #5

I have a great weight loss plan too - I call it "Hungry"
Old 01-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #6

"3. Replace spare tire with tire plugging kit and pump 25 lbs lighter"

Interesting trade-off. This exact set-up weighs heavy on the mind of many a 987 owner.

If I see you on the side of the road with a punctured side-wall, I'll be sure to get you out of your rut by stopping to tell you about Jack in the Box's new breakfast sandwiches.

(Note: Funnier if you get Jack in the Box televisions commercials in your area).

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 01-11-2007 at 10:40 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:26 AM   #7

In response to the lightweight flywheel, I love it. Mine also chatters a little on idle, but only when the clutch is out in neutral. Not only does the engine rev more freely, but it sure feels more responsive. I would recommend it to anyone that is getting a new clutch.

The Braille lightweight battery is pretty cool. I got it directly from Braille in Florida, they included free shipping. The sucker is small, but has 550 cold cranking amps. It has no problem starting the car in low 20's weather. I also have a JL Audio 4X75 watt amp powering 8 JL Audio and Infinity speakers in the car (dash, door, rears).

If the battery is not up to snuff, and you play the system loud with the headlights on, the lights will dim on loud bass passages. That does not happen with the Braille battery, so it does a pretty good job of dumping current. I have not had it that long, so dont know about the longevity, but losing a good 30 lbs of mass that sits high on the car seems to be a good thing so far....

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 01-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
You can lose weight if you are just disciplined. I have had luck with my most recent efforts – I eat whatever I want and then just make myself throw up afterwards. It’s great and am losing weight fast!
Great way to lose your teeth too!

Be careful!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
"3. Replace spare tire with tire plugging kit and pump 25 lbs lighter"

Interesting trade-off. This exact set-up weighs heavy on the mind of many a 987 owner.

If I see you on the side of the road with a punctured side-wall, I'll be sure to get you out of your rut by stopping to tell you about Jack in the Box's new breakfast sandwiches.

(Note: Funnier if you get Jack in the Box televisions commercials in your area).
Ironically we get Jack in the box commercials here and there is not a single Jack within 800 miles of here.

Same thing with Sonic.

So do all boxsters have the spare and stuff? If so, where is it located? I'd definitely like to take it out. I don't know how to change my tire anyways, so I'd rather just call 1-800-porsche.

As for losing weight, I lost 50+ lbs so far...I'm getting there.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #10

Oh Man, you dont know where the spare is? I have to launch a "personal attack!!

haha just kidding bav. It is in the front trunk, at the rear. It is covered up with several covers. There is a pretty cool tool kit in there as well. I took mine out a while ago, then after much reflection about being stuck by the roadside waiting for AAA to save me, when I had a perfectly good spare, I put it back in.

I am all for the battery. I had no idea there was such a thing as a "lt wt battery"
Is it physically the same size as the stock one? If it is smaller, do you need some kind of adapter to hold it on the tray?
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
So do all boxsters have the spare and stuff? If so, where is it located? I'd definitely like to take it out. I don't know how to change my tire anyways, so I'd rather just call 1-800-porsche.

As for losing weight, I lost 50+ lbs so far...I'm getting there.
987 models have no spare.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #12

...Which is why I made the comment to edevelin that I did.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 01-12-2007 at 04:02 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil
Oh Man, you dont know where the spare is? I have to launch a "personal attack!!

haha just kidding bav. It is in the front trunk, at the rear. It is covered up with several covers. There is a pretty cool tool kit in there as well. I took mine out a while ago, then after much reflection about being stuck by the roadside waiting for AAA to save me, when I had a perfectly good spare, I put it back in.

I am all for the battery. I had no idea there was such a thing as a "lt wt battery"
Is it physically the same size as the stock one? If it is smaller, do you need some kind of adapter to hold it on the tray?

A Costco battery is maybe half the weight of the Bosch unit. Costs about $52.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #14

Is the Bosch unit marked Bosch?
I found a battery in mine (since replaced) that is entirely black. My thoughts are that it's not original.....
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 AM   #15

I got the idea the try the Braille lightweight battery from another member. The batteries are quite small and light http://www.brailleauto.com/ , mine cost 190.00 delivered. They have two sizes, if you are not in a cold climate they say you can get away with using their 11 lb battery, I opted for the 15 lb unit.

I also thought about not having the spare in the car, but if I get a flat I cannot repair, I have no place the put the flat tire anyway, time will tell.

BTW, I had always noticed that the car was a little quicker when the gas tank was almost empty (6 lbs/gallon). With the weight trimming, it feels like I always have an empty tank and then some. I dont know if that difference is as pronounced in those big hp "S" models, but this little 2.7L likes to run light....

Ed

:dance:

Old 01-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #16

Hi,

@ edevlin - I think it's great you undertook this approach. Unlike simply adding more power, lightening the car not only makes it quicker, but improves the handling in the twisties as well - double bang.

Most of your weight savings have been from the front, are you concerned about weight distribution? Have you noticed any adverse effects?

You mention feeling a difference when the Tank is empty. I read that Porsche purposely set the Fuel Low/Reserve light to come on at 2.6 gal., or 10 Ltr. (approx. 16.5lbs of Fuel) in order to preserve the handling, that the car needs a certain amount of weight up front for everything to work right...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-13-2007 at 11:26 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #17

"Most of your weight savings have been from the front, are you concerned about weight distribution? Have you noticed any adverse effects?"

I was also wondering about most of the weight comming off the nosel, but so far I have not been able to tell a difference about it being lighter in the nose, just that when it is lighter, it is quicker. It may have to do with the fact that I first lost the weight, then had the car setup with a new PSS9 suspension which was dialed in to the new weight distribution.

Ed

Old 01-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
u know what, that was the same thing that i tought, like im gonn get a flat. so i took my spare out, and 2 days later blew a tire. had a buddy go to my house and bring it where i was 'parked' hehehe
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #19

I drive my car with a remote control!
185lbs lighter!

JK
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #20

Hi,

Here's one that could use a little Weight Loss Program...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote