Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2024, 01:19 PM   #1

DME No power

I took out the wiring loom from my boxer. It has had major water ingress issues and the grounds had been joined up.

I have put in a loom from a MY03 Boxer and had to change the ABS pump. The DME is not getting any power and PIWIS 2 can not communicate with DME.

The airbags are off the car. The cluster comes up with the a lightning circuit symbol failure sign.

Any pointers appreciated.

Jaybu02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 04:13 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybu02 View Post
I took out the wiring loom from my boxer. It has had major water ingress issues and the grounds had been joined up.

I have put in a loom from a MY03 Boxer and had to change the ABS pump. The DME is not getting any power and PIWIS 2 can not communicate with DME.

The airbags are off the car. The cluster comes up with the a lightning circuit symbol failure sign.

Pointer Number 1: Tell us what you're driving. Until then revealing from which car you're pulling parts doesn't help us.
Old 06-28-2024, 06:43 AM   #3

Apologies. I have a face lift late 02 (MY03) 2.7 986 manual. Alarm module and keys programmed to the car. DME 7.8.

New loom is off a more basic 03 car without PSM.
Old 06-28-2024, 06:47 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Pointer Number 1: Tell us what you're driving. Until then revealing from which car you're pulling parts doesn't help us.
Yes, without saying what car is being worked on, Jaybu02 is not making it easy to help. I took an extra minute to see what the car is and it appears to be a 2003 base model w/manual transmission.

With that info, the wring harness from a 2003 being installed makes sense. The problem is most likely an error or missed connection in how it was installed.

Troubleshoot.
Trace the power from the source to where it is supposed to go.
Check continuity of grounds.
...stuff like that.
Old 06-29-2024, 05:07 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Yes, without saying what car is being worked on, Jaybu02 is not making it easy to help. I took an extra minute to see what the car is and it appears to be a 2003 base model w/manual transmission.

With that info, the wring harness from a 2003 being installed makes sense. The problem is most likely an error or missed connection in how it was installed.

Troubleshoot.
...stuff like that.
That's great. Resourceful. That means I'm up an extra minute.
Old 06-29-2024, 12:39 PM   #6

Does anyone know whether the Facelift MY 03 are wired the same as an 01 at the power distributer?
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2024, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:

Troubleshoot.
...stuff like that.
Thank you for the reply appreciated. Power comes in to the power distributer. Then goes to the relays? Fuses all ok, with battery voltage showing. I get a sort of lightning sign on the dash, which I guess indicates electrics failure.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #8

Garage
You will probably need a wiring diagram for a 2003 model. The power connections at the DME 7.8 are different from the 7.2.
I do have the power distribution portion handy. I expect that it's same as the 2001, but have not compared.
Old 06-29-2024, 01:24 PM   #9

Garage
I'll add this, DME 7.8 [A] connections.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:19 AM   #10

Quote:
You will probably need a wiring diagram for a 2003 model. The power connections at the DME 7.8 are different from the 7.2.
I do have the power distribution portion handy. I expect that it's same as the 2001, but have not compared.

Thank you for this. They do indeed look the same. Some extra stuff on the later cars but order and layout seems the same.

Where is a good source for an 03 wiring diagram?
Old 06-30-2024, 01:31 AM   #11

Quote:
I'll add this, DME 7.8 [A] connections.
So this is indeed the wiring I have. Terminal 15 and terminal 30 no voltage at plug A. I am a total amateur when it comes to electrics but will have a go at some testing.

I have put the non PSM ABS pump on the car and that is talking to PIWIS. The major errors are no communication with DME and think this is bringing up W lead fault.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:31 AM   #12

Done a little bit of testing after work tonight.

Pin 36 (terminal 15) going into the Alarm connector 1 has power.

Pin 7 and 8 (terminal 30) going into Alarm connector 2 also have power.

I will check ground next in the boot or is that trunk? I will also check for breaks in the wires in connector A onto the DME.

Do I need to look at anything else?

Last edited by Jaybu02; 07-02-2024 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2024, 02:21 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:

Would you be able to provide some additional background? I don’t understand what “water ingress issues” are (it’s wire and some connectors), nor what “joined up” means.

When you say “wiring loom”, what, specifically, did you replace?

Was everything working before you did so?

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2024, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoradeschi View Post
Would you be able to provide some additional background? I don’t understand what “water ingress issues” are (it’s wire and some connectors), nor what “joined up” means.

When you say “wiring loom”, what, specifically, did you replace?

Was everything working before you did so?

Thanks.
It had water coming in from a failed seal around the cabin filter. The carpets were soaked. The wiring loom had the common grounds joined up together and some other wires. The ignition circuit was dead. I cleaned up the 86 s bridge and got it working but did'nt have confidence in the loom without repair or replacement. I had a second hand alarm module and had it reprogrammed to the car ecu with two keys.

The wiring loom I have replaced goes from the front of the car, through the interior and then through to the rear.

It was bought as a non runner project.

Last edited by Jaybu02; 07-03-2024 at 01:16 PM. Reason: add details
Old 07-04-2024, 05:04 AM   #15

Garage
If you need to see specific portions of the wiring diagrams I can find some time this weekend to track them down and make them available.
Old 07-04-2024, 03:30 PM   #16

DME 7.2 is different to 7.8
Also the wiring of the M534 / M535 is different.
And M534 to M535 is also different.
Make shure that you have the correct wiring diagrams for exactly your model year and immo. Else you won't have luck.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
DME 7.2 is different to 7.8
Also the wiring of the M534 / M535 is different.
And M534 to M535 is also different.
Make shure that you have the correct wiring diagrams for exactly your model year and immo. Else you won't have luck.
HI Smallblock,

I have 7.8 DME. The wiring loom I have is out of a 2003 car. The car is a MY 2003 Facelift car with the vario cam 2.7.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
If you need to see specific portions of the wiring diagrams I can find some time this weekend to track them down and make them available.
That would be a massive help. I am trying to follow and check the wiring back from the Power distribution to the DME.

I have diagram for the 2001 cars but as I understand it they made changes to the 2003 cars.

Old 07-08-2024, 07:13 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
That would be a massive help. I am trying to follow and check the wiring back from the Power distribution to the DME.

I have diagram for the 2001 cars but as I understand it they made changes to the 2003 cars.

I didn't mean that I am willing to trace all of the circuits in the wiring diagrams or post the whole manual online. What I will do for you is look up specific connections and share parts of the wiring diagrams that you request. I'm no expert at this. I just have a big book and have disassembled a few cars.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:17 AM   #20

Quote:
I didn't mean that I am willing to trace all of the circuits in the wiring diagrams or post the whole manual online. What I will do for you is look up specific connections and share parts of the wiring diagrams that you request. I'm no expert at this. I just have a big book and have disassembled a few cars.
I did some testing over the weekend. Grounds are all good including one next to dme. Looks like everything is working upto the M524 alarm box. I wonder whether putting in a different ABS pump has upset things? Picture of that wiring would be great. The pump is connected up but not the front abs sensors or brake wear sensors. Thanks for your help, appreciated.

Last edited by Jaybu02; 07-20-2024 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Correct Mistake