Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Rennzenn

Garage
reprograming rear spoiler

Is there any way to change the activation of the rear spoiler from 75mph to 60 or so?

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
blkboxster

you only need it at speeds past 75,so theres no point of reprograming it
Old 11-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Ex Esso kid

I know this is kinda dumb but...any Porsche savvy officers of the law are going to think your speeding even sooner, why bother?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #4

If it can be done it'll probably be done with the PST2.

Why not just add a spoiler switch in the dash and operate it manually when you want to do so? $40 and three pieces of wire and you're good to go.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #5

Hi,

It cannot be done. That part of the software is non-volatile and non-changeable. If you're some Wizard Techno-Geek, it might be possible if you can crack the code, but the PST2 isn't programmed to access that part of the software. It would be a Gargantuan task to say the least...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:28 AM   #6
boggtown

Gargantuan eh? Just hook up a lead to the speedometer "stick" cant think of the name (analog), and set up a lead at the 60 mark and when the 2 touch it will trigger the spoiler. A very low tech, yet effective and automatic solution. Just like a spoiler button but automatic.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Gargantuan eh? Just hook up a lead to the speedometer "stick" cant think of the name (analog), and set up a lead at the 60 mark and when the 2 touch it will trigger the spoiler. A very low tech, yet effective and automatic solution. Just like a spoiler button but automatic.
Hi,

As you said, very Low Tech, but fairly complex in execution and probably not too robust either.

But, if you're gonna go all Rube Goldberg (Reuben Lucius Goldberg, 1883-1970) on me, why not add a relay to the Spoiler circuit and switch the relay with the output from the OBC Speed Gong? That way, you could program it's deployment for any speed >6MPH...

Old 11-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'll either just leave it be or fill the last blank on the dash with a switch.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'll either just leave it be or fill the last blank on the dash with a switch.
Hi,

The Dashboard Switch Hack is really quite easy to do. Can be done in well under an hour + you remove one of the Blanks from the Dash. The Switch is PN# 996.613.155.00.A02 - $37.31 from Pelican Parts. You need to make a Wiring Harness too using some insulated Spade Connectors (Radio Shack) and about 2X 4' 18-20ga. wire and 2X 1.5' 18-20ga. wire. If interested, PM me and I'll send you the wiring diagram. Simple setup, you simply plug into the FuseBox where the Kick Panel Switch currently does. Hope this helps...