Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #1

98 Boxster large oil leak

Had the car for a few weeks just came out of the shop for transmission work. Drove maybe 110 miles. Oil light came on and died. Saw it leaked oil. Finally got around to adding oil and scanned it and no codes. Ran it, got out of car after maybe a minute or two with a massive leak. I found a steady stream coming from the Driverside(not familiar with Porsche) and it’s just is a steady stream tried looking in the service manual to see what is on that side but no luck. Just looking to see what is on that side that would be leaking so much.

Lockholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:52 PM   #2

Garage
Oil filter is an obvious answer... loose or broken canister.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
Oil filter is an obvious answer... loose or broken canister.
It looks to be on the left side of the oil filter. I’m trying to figure out how to upload picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lockholder; 05-02-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:36 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockholder View Post
It looks to be on the left side of the oil filter. I’m trying to figure out how to upload picture.
Your picture uploaded fine, but I'm going to need a larger pic.

Aside from the sarcasm... that looks like a PITA. Have you considered cleaning iit up... removing the oil mess... and pinpointing the leak source? Also... is that a milkshake? What's up with that. Finally, after you clean up that oily mess... tighten everything and see if the leaks stops.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:16 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Leaking down from the top on the left side and mixed with coolant... My guess is that it's the oil cooler. There are four O-rings that seal it to the block.
Here's a pic from Pelican Parts:

...also a big picture.

Last edited by 78F350; 05-03-2023 at 04:20 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Your picture uploaded fine, but I'm going to need a larger pic.

Aside from the sarcasm... that looks like a PITA. Have you considered cleaning iit up... removing the oil mess... and pinpointing the leak source? Also... is that a milkshake? What's up with that. Finally, after you clean up that oily mess... tighten everything and see if the leaks stops.

Good luck.
Gonna try and get it up in the air and cleaned etc. just trying to see what’s on there side that would leak a steady stream. And it’s aerated.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Leaking down from the top on the left side and mixed with coolant... My guess is that it's the oil cooler. There are four O-rings that seal it to the block.

...also a big picture.
When it was burning on the exhaust only smelled like oil and water temperature is and was good. When the oil was leaking it look very aerated. Once I get it into the air I’ll double check that all and make sure it’s not the cooler! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2023, 11:26 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post

...also a big picture.
As sson as I saw the big pic... lol. That was rich, thank you.

OP... I believe 78F is correct. I'm thinking there isn't really much else to describe what it could be. Before you get the car in the air... leave it on the ground... and replace the cooler O rings. If you're in a pinch I can mail you an extra set I have. I went withh the S cooler... and purchased two sets off those rings. Let me know. Orr, hit O'Reiily/Autozone/NAPA and pick those rings up in short order.

If I were a betting man... oil/coolant... left ide... coming from top... I'd put my money n those rings. Quick fix, and not complicated. Plus, time is money... and you should be going with the least expensive fix, first.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
As sson as I saw the big pic... lol. That was rich, thank you.

OP... I believe 78F is correct. I'm thinking there isn't really much else to describe what it could be. Before you get the car in the air... leave it on the ground... and replace the cooler O rings. If you're in a pinch I can mail you an extra set I have. I went withh the S cooler... and purchased two sets off those rings. Let me know. Orr, hit O'Reiily/Autozone/NAPA and pick those rings up in short order.

If I were a betting man... oil/coolant... left ide... coming from top... I'd put my money n those rings. Quick fix, and not complicated. Plus, time is money... and you should be going with the least expensive fix, first.

Keep us posted.
I’ll definitely get those ordered or picked up and see what I find out! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2023, 11:34 AM   #10

Before you do further taking apart stuff, take a look at your oil filler cap as you remove it. If the cap has inside some light brown stuff, you'll have the intrmix pretty much for sure.
Opposite is also true in most cases - if the oil filler cap is clear, you'll most likely have no intermix.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Before you do further taking apart stuff, take a look at your oil filler cap as you remove it. If the cap has inside some light brown stuff, you'll have the intrmix pretty much for sure.
Opposite is also true in most cases - if the oil filler cap is clear, you'll most likely have no intermix.
Oil cap is clean and dipstick is regular oil and what not. Wasn’t dirty or anything thick
Old 05-03-2023, 07:56 PM   #12

Got the car up on ramps and was able to find out where my leak is coming from. the green plug which i believe is a camshaft end plug, and the steel one looks like a expansion plug or freeze plug. question is how do i reinstall the expansion plug/freeze plug back into the cam?
Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  524.8 KB
Old 05-04-2023, 05:50 AM   #13

That looks like the freeze type plug from the end of the camshaft:

Old 05-04-2023, 05:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
That looks like the freeze type plug from the end of the camshaft:

I believe so yes. Sorry it wouldn’t let me upload the steel plug and green one. But from what I could find is it’s a plug from the end of the camshaft and the green one is a drive in one. Now how hard is it to get new ones in?
Old 05-04-2023, 06:08 AM   #15

The green plug isn't your problem, they pop right in with finger pressure, the plug in the end of the cam however is a major issue. The correct way to replace them requires the cams out of the cylinder heads.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The green plug isn't your problem, they pop right in with finger pressure, the plug in the end of the cam however is a major issue. The correct way to replace them requires the cams out of the cylinder heads.
I saw the green plug was just pretty much a cover. There’s no way to get the plug back in the cam with it still in the head? Also, do you by chance have a part number for the right plug? I keep getting a few different plugs and just want to make sure I order the correct one.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:42 AM   #17

We never use freeze plugs, we drill and tap the cams for a threaded insert with sealing Loctite on it that prevents this from ever happening again. Plus, I'm not sure the factory part is still available.................
Old 05-10-2023, 05:16 PM   #18

Not to derail the discussion but what the hell would cause those plugs to blow out?

Let's assume for a minute that Jon is correct - you blew your cooler orings and lost half your oil.

Could that have caused the cam shafts to seize and the resultant castrophe forced the plugs out?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2023, 03:17 AM   #19

Garage
The OP has another thread on Rennlist here
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1348183-1999-boxster-oil-in-piston-misfires-mechanic-says-totaled.html
Some of these questions have been answered there, including a video from Jake Raby the speaks to the question of why the plugs blow out.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote