Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #1

Anyone have the HID upgrade kit from 986online?

I've been eyeballing the HID upgrade kit from 986online.com since I got the car. I've got the 03 Boxster halogen lights, and I can't justify the litronics.

Does anyone have this setup? It's about $300, and says it's "plug and play". I'd get the 5000k kit, but does anyone know how much of an increase it has over stock? It'll never be as good as OEM with projectors, and I know that, but I'd like more light. I miss my HIDs from my S4.

BluBYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
KronixSpeed

my only issue with them is that i think they will eventually burn the plastic infront of it. mine are getting yellow/burnt just with regular after market white blubs, which probably aren't even as strong as the hids 5000k. this is also over time that they are turning yellow/burnt, not like it happend right away. probably best to get a really good clear white blub for $50. i've seen piaa has a white clear xenon light, not sure the watts, but these are probably the best bet. i'm not talking about the piaa eurolights. look into why the screen turns yellow/burnt, before installing the hids.

whats really cool, is the original. the way that you can see the actual projector blub. the hid blub hides behind the screen and pretty much useless, better to just get a white blub.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:55 AM   #3

That may be. Surely someone has purchased this kit and can give feedback...
Old 11-17-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
my only issue with them is that i think they will eventually burn the plastic infront of it. mine are getting yellow/burnt just with regular after market white blubs, which probably aren't even as strong as the hids 5000k. this is also over time that they are turning yellow/burnt, not like it happend right away. probably best to get a really good clear white blub for $50. i've seen piaa has a white clear xenon light, not sure the watts, but these are probably the best bet. i'm not talking about the piaa eurolights. look into why the screen turns yellow/burnt, before installing the hids.

whats really cool, is the original. the way that you can see the actual projector blub. the hid blub hides behind the screen and pretty much useless, better to just get a white blub.
I suspect you're having a yellowing problem because your aftermarket bulbs are running hotter than stock. Yellowing can come from either that or UV degradation of the plastic or both.

The HID upgrade system should actually run cooler than halogen bulbs and be less prone to yellowing.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBYou
I've been eyeballing the HID upgrade kit from 986online.com since I got the car. I've got the 03 Boxster halogen lights, and I can't justify the litronics.

Does anyone have this setup? It's about $300, and says it's "plug and play". I'd get the 5000k kit, but does anyone know how much of an increase it has over stock? It'll never be as good as OEM with projectors, and I know that, but I'd like more light. I miss my HIDs from my S4.
There was a post some time back showing the light patterns of the aftermarket system compared to stock. Because the light source is in the same location with the HID kit, the light patterns were about the same. The light quality was higher with the HID kit, of course. I think the conclusion was that it's a nice upgrade but lacks some of the patterning and color possible with the litronics system.

As far as the quality of the components, I don't remember that there was any comment. These aren't bulbs that you'd want to be replacing very often so a cheap system could be more of a headache than it's worth.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-17-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #6

That's kindof what I figured. You'll never get OEM light without properly aimed projectors. I miss the HIDs in my Audi S4. Self levelling, bright as could be.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBYou
That's kindof what I figured. You'll never get OEM light without properly aimed projectors. I miss the HIDs in my Audi S4. Self levelling, bright as could be.

I don't think the self-leveling is very important in the Boxster considering how tight the suspension is and the fact that you can't really load up the back end to the point that they'll be aiming high. It's more of an issue for a sedan with rear passengers.