Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #1

Litronic lens clouding

I have some long term clouding of my Litronic head light lenses. I also have some early 3M film over the lights it’s difficult to know whether the inside of the lens that is clouding or it’s some reaction on the outside of the lens with the 3M film adhesive. Any thoughts, or experiences? I would hate to have to crack open the lights as opposed to just peeling off the film and resolving the problem

Attached Images

Old 09-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #2

The Clouding is right in line with the Projector
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #3

The way your pictures posted I can't see anything, they are very large and blurry. But I can tell you that the Litronic projector lens is real glass, and because of that I doubt that they are turning cloudy. If you take the back access panel off the headlights, I think you can remove the projector by removing 4 security Torx screws. You need the bits with the hole in the middle to clear the post in the middle of the Torx screw head. Harbor Freight sells a cheap set of these. My guess is that the issue is with the 3M film on the outside of the headlights.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:32 AM   #4

Try taking a picture with a different potato. Thanks.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:06 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
+1 to PaulE
and here's the same pics re-sized to the forum standard 800 pix width.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

I am referring to the clouding the assembly lens….plastic cover hence the reference to 3M film. Some of the blurry is the clouding which is apparent in the image below. One can see it right below the projector. Is this 3M film degradation or inside the plastic assembly cover…

Apologies but apple device and image uploads here don’t go smoothly……I would be posting a lot of interesting stuff if it did
Old 09-09-2021, 08:45 AM   #7

No worries. If the light has never been taken apart, and since it's a Litronic you know the back cover has always been on it, because that's where the ballast is, I would bet the clouding issue is with the 3M or the outer lens.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 09-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #8

Yes, yes suppose I could go in through the back and maybe see if it is inside the cover but I doubt there is sufficient line of sight through the projector hole. How would you test the inside surface without touching it with a long q-tip or something....never touch the inside of the cover is what I've heard .

Peeling off the protective film on A whim is expensive !

I was just wondering if any of her experience with this clouding from 3M or without on the inside
Old 09-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #9

FWIW one of my headlights is original to the car, 18 years old and perfect on the inside. I have taken apart some other even older headlights that were really grungy and completely opaque on the outside, even one with a cracked outer lens, and the insides of all of those lenses were perfect. I feel your pain in not wanting to strip off the 3M film, but if no one else chimes in with any direct experience, I think the film has become dulled from road grit and your lenses are fine underneath.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #10

Paul,

This is great feedback and I concur with your prognosis. I had a look under some very intense lighting and it would seem that the clouding is most likely coming from the film so it's gonna come off eventually

Your anecdote regarding the condition of plastic covers/lenses on the inside was very helpful in making the call.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:18 AM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I think this is caused by the washer jet.

edc is offline   Reply With Quote