Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2021, 04:43 AM   #21
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
Consider a set of 17 inch wheels, 4 rears if you can swing it, for track use. Tires are a wear item and the 17 inch variety cost significantly less. Bonus of the square set up is you can rotate your tires as you will no doubt be chewing up the outside edges (based on not seeing camber adjustment in your mods list). re71 in 255 40 17 were recently on super sale from tirerack as they are being discontinued and I was glad to pick up a fresh set. I will likely try the Falken 660s next
17's are definitely the way to go for track use.

While square setup may have some advantages, it can also put you in a car class where you are less competitive. Things like tire size do effect what class you run in

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
Consider a set of 17 inch wheels, 4 rears if you can swing it, for track use. Tires are a wear item and the 17 inch variety cost significantly less. Bonus of the square set up is you can rotate your tires as you will no doubt be chewing up the outside edges (based on not seeing camber adjustment in your mods list). re71 in 255 40 17 were recently on super sale from tirerack as they are being discontinued and I was glad to pick up a fresh set. I will likely try the Falken 660s next
Well I just got a set of 996 Lt Alloy Carrera wheels for pretty cheap and they're being refinished. I'm going to use them for my track wheels for now. Since I'm not wearing the outer edges of my tires yet, my shop didn't want to try setting my car up with more negative camber. Maybe once I get faster and start wearing tires on they outside edge instead of evenly they said.

Do the 17 x 8.5 rears fit on the front with 255/40 tires if the car still has factory springs rather than coilovers? If they do, I'll keep an eye out for a pair of rear Boxster S II wheels since I already have a set of those.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #23

Update

So I ended up getting the Yokohama Advan A052's. With the 8 inch front rims up front and the 10 inch rims in back with 20mm spacers, they come out a touch more and look sharp! I had the wheels checked for trueness and refinished with metallic silver powder coating. Tomorrow I'm headed up to Watkins Glen for a 3 day HPDE. It will be fun to try them out!

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 08-26-2021, 04:17 AM   #24

Nice! They should be beyond amazing on the first lap but fall off pretty hard after that. Let us know how they hold up after 3 days. Watch your shoulder wear as they typically like a lot of camber which you don't appear to have.
SCCA_AX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #25

+1

Let us know how it goes on the Advans. I'm curious how it performs with the spacers; I recently removed mine for safety as I discovered a wheel shimmy at around 60MPH-70MPH.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I had the wheels checked for trueness and refinished with metallic silver powder coating.

[
Paul, your wheels came out pretty nice! I would 'like to suggest' installing the center caps it will make the wheels stand out better..

There is a guy on Rennlist that offers (non OEM..) center cap sets for about $50 bucks and they look pretty good (I got a set for a friend of mine's 997 and they look great IMHO, specially for the cost..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
+1

Let us know how it goes on the Advans. I'm curious how it performs with the spacers; I recently removed mine for safety as I discovered a wheel shimmy at around 60MPH-70MPH.
The 20mm spacers on the rear put these 996 wheels where they need to be on a 986. I drove 40 miles home yesterday from the shop on the highway and they don't shimmy at all. My preference would have been for a wheel that didn't require a spacer, but these wheels were too good of a deal to pass up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA_AX View Post
Nice! They should be beyond amazing on the first lap but fall off pretty hard after that. Let us know how they hold up after 3 days. Watch your shoulder wear as they typically like a lot of camber which you don't appear to have.
Yeah, right now I'm on the stock alignment settings for the ROW M030 suspension. I've been on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires with no shoulder wear, we'll see how these do. I hope they feel good for more than 1 lap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Paul, your wheels came out pretty nice! I would 'like to suggest' installing the center caps it will make the wheels stand out better..

There is a guy on Rennlist that offers (non OEM..) center cap sets for about $50 bucks and they look pretty good (I got a set for a friend of mine's 997 and they look great IMHO, specially for the cost..
Thanks Gilles, I've got center caps, including a set of Fred's (Nine8Six) faux centerlock caps. I've left them off for now as I'm headed to the track!