Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Pathological Tinkerer

Finished some thrust arm center links and am finalizing rear monoball mounts with an adapter plate to facilitate mounting the Ohlins coilovers.

P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Carfahrer View Post
Finished some thrust arm center links and am finalizing rear monoball mounts with an adapter plate to facilitate mounting the Ohlins coilovers.

Very Very Nice!
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:13 AM   #3

Wow. Just wow
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #4

Fantastic - Haven't had a chance to comment and glad the thread moved up the stack.

Roll center, bump steer adjustments, excellent - Too bad it isn't SPB legal.

Spec 944 allows spherical bearings, why not SPB. Far cheaper and easier than replacing the Porsche stock rubber ones.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
Fantastic - Haven't had a chance to comment and glad the thread moved up the stack.

Spec 944 allows spherical bearings, why not SPB. Far cheaper and easier than replacing the Porsche stock rubber ones.
Well maybe if Todd is willing to make them really available, we can petition for an allowance in the rules next year?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post

Yeah I have never understood the restrictive rules of SPB concerning power/suspension. There are/were faster 986 S cars than some SPB cars. Looking at you Maytag... your Blue Bullet... RIP...
Old 05-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #7
Pathological Tinkerer

Rear Monoball mounts are now completed with a plate to adapt Ohlins R/T coilovers for installation with the monoball mounts. As seen in the pictures below, the Ohlins set comes with a mold formed rubber insert that fits into the OEM strut mount and locates on the three OEM strut mount stud heads. A machined aluminum part then fits into the bottom side of the rubber insert in the Ohlins kit. The machined part has a lip with an OD that mates with the spring.
The Ohlins rubber piece is so large and has such a radius that making a monoball mount that would still fit properly in the car body and have sufficient wall thickness was not possible so I designed and built a different aluminum insert that would locate on the stud heads, be flush with the bottom plate of the monoball mount, and have the correct lip/OD to mate with the Ohlins springs.

A rubber washer supplied by Ohlins sits between the aluminum lip and the spring. Inside the cup is a FK Com14t F1 fit spherical bearing captured by a cap with 5 M5 screws. Bearing retainer compound will be used for the bearing locating surfaces with Loctite blue on all screws/nuts.

Here you can see the monoball, adapter plate, and spring from the side view.

Here is the assembled monoball and coilover though I need to increase spring pre-load by 5mm. I couldn’t tighten the pre-load spanner nut any more by myself. Aluminum will be anodized blue.

I am done with machining other than building drop link adjustment centers after getting everything installed and measuring what length centers I need to build for front and rears. If all goes ok I hope to get the car on the ground again this week. The only issue with this is I can’t get tires I want and the ones I had are completely done. Stupid Covid shortages of everything…

Last edited by P_Carfahrer; 05-23-2021 at 02:50 PM.