Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
For what it is worth I run XP9, have an LN deep sump and the oil pressure does vary widely. Pretty much the same as when I ran an X51 only.

Your gauge sampling rate will effect what dips you see. AIM will use 5-10hz for a pressure sensor, don't know about a VDO gauge.

If you do install a deep sump on a car that is run on the street, install some sort of sump guard. You won't regret it.
I don't think I ever had the wherewithal to catch oil pressure dipping in corners. I think gauge with a preset low level alarm would be what I would have done for track work

Old 08-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #22
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
For what it is worth I run XP9, have an LN deep sump and the oil pressure does vary widely. Pretty much the same as when I ran an X51 only.

Your gauge sampling rate will effect what dips you see. AIM will use 5-10hz for a pressure sensor, don't know about a VDO gauge.

If you do install a deep sump on a car that is run on the street, install some sort of sump guard. You won't regret it.
XP9 vs DT40.
Somebody? How does the nomenclature for Driven oils work?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #23

XP9 = 10W-40
DT40 = 5W-40

DT is the street car formula and XP is race. I assume the difference is in the friction additives and the XP9 costs more.

The Spec box never sees below freezing starts but it does see service above 4000 rpms for 30 minutes often.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I don't think I ever had the wherewithal to catch oil pressure dipping in corners. I think gauge with a preset low level alarm would be what I would have done for track work
I assume the gauge itself only captures at 1 hz. Very possible that you may miss an outlier pressure event. If it samples at a higher rate it may be buffered to look smooth unless everything goes south.

This is why having data logging can be helpful. I only look at engine related values after the fact, unless an alarm LED goes on I keep charging.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Oil quality means nothing if it doesn't get where it needs to go
Oil getting where it needs to go is the easy part, staying there is the goal.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:17 PM   #26

Garage
Just a thought, those deep sump kits with a x51-plate, do the use the regular pkate or is it extended to seal against the engine? Basically can I reuse my x51-kit if I would make a deeper sump myself?
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Just a thought, those deep sump kits with a x51-plate, do the use the regular pkate or is it extended to seal against the engine? Basically can I reuse my x51-kit if I would make a deeper sump myself?
Search thstone's spec boxster thread, he had installed a Pedro 2 qt deep sump combined with the stock x-51 baffle from EBS, I can't recall if he had to do any trimming of the baffle, but he did have to do some trimming in the flat plate so the baffle could sit down in it (with the Pedro deep sump there is a flat plate that sits on top of the spacer) - if you are talking about the .5 liter BK spacer, EBS makes a different version of the X-51 baffle for those, presumably with some extra length on the bottom.

You might be able to bing some images of the two baffles and be able to see the differences?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Search thstone's spec boxster thread, he had installed a Pedro 2 qt deep sump combined with the stock x-51 baffle from EBS, I can't recall if he had to do any trimming of the baffle, but he did have to do some trimming in the flat plate so the baffle could sit down in it (with the Pedro deep sump there is a flat plate that sits on top of the spacer) - if you are talking about the .5 liter BK spacer, EBS makes a different version of the X-51 baffle for those, presumably with some extra length on the bottom.

You might be able to bing some images of the two baffles and be able to see the differences?
Good thinking! I´ll investigste..

The one I´m thinking about specifically is the FVD that uses a "X51 Style Baffle"

So if I make my own sump, could I re-use my x51 baffle, I cannot really see why it would need to seal totally at the top. But what do I know..? ;-)

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote