Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2020, 03:00 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8
Unhappy Is this a plausible estimate for a Vario Sensor?

Good morning everyone. I had a sudden loss of power and a CEL light on my 1999 Boxster 5sp Base. I nursed it home. P1531 ~ so Variocam Adjustment sensor on the intake side. I took it to my local dealer which is fortunately a couple miles away (car ran fine BTW). They confirmed my theory after a full diagnostics test.

I have an estimate for $3750 because the engine needs to come out. The part is $554...which is not bad for that particular part. Has anyone had this sensor go out? Does the engine really need dropped???

Thanks Much in Advance!

wsmcdowall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Rich
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: IL
Posts: 38
I took my engine out to replace mine....but people have posted it can be done with engine in. If you are talking about the verio cam actuator.
Rich XTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:39 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8
Yes, it is the actuator. THe work order says "variocam solenoid" but the part list describes it as "actuator". Thanks for the response.
wsmcdowall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,652
Garage
There are a lot of 'short cuts' that a DIY mechanic might take such as not dropping the engine to access the camshafts. Any reputable shop doing the job correctly will drop the engine. I do think that you could get a better labor cost if you shopped around, but the estimate is plausible.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 922
It should take a porsche shop roughly 3 hours to remove a boxster motor. That seems like an awful lot of labor.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
There are a lot of 'short cuts' that a DIY mechanic might take such as not dropping the engine to access the camshafts. Any reputable shop doing the job correctly will drop the engine. I do think that you could get a better labor cost if you shopped around, but the estimate is plausible.
A few of years ago I had to removed the cam cover on the 1-3 bank to replace the green seal gaskets (no plug tubes on the 987's..) and I was able to do it by lowering the engine a few inches by using a 'home made' engine support bar from the top (w/car on jack stands), this allows you to have free access from underneath, I should have a couple of pictures if you need them.

Good luck!

Last edited by Gilles; 07-31-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmcdowall View Post
Good morning everyone. I had a sudden loss of power and a CEL light on my 1999 Boxster 5sp Base. I nursed it home. P1531 ~ so Variocam Adjustment sensor on the intake side. I took it to my local dealer which is fortunately a couple miles away (car ran fine BTW). They confirmed my theory after a full diagnostics test.

I have an estimate for $3750 because the engine needs to come out. The part is $554...which is not bad for that particular part. Has anyone had this sensor go out? Does the engine really need dropped???

Thanks Much in Advance!

Going through something similar right now and the shop Iím going through (not a Porsche dealer) quoted the same part at over $1200. Itís on pelican for almost $1300. Anyone know why such a huge difference in price point?


Part # 996-105-051-58-OEM
-tWv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,397
A dealer will retail it to you for $998.32
__________________
ďAnything really new is invented only in oneís youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous Ė and more stupid.Ē - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:54 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: North Cali
Posts: 263
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -tWv- View Post
Going through something similar right now and the shop Iím going through (not a Porsche dealer) quoted the same part at over $1200. Itís on pelican for almost $1300. Anyone know why such a huge difference in price point?


Part # 996-105-051-58-OEM
Probably $554 is only for the solenoid, the actuator is around $1000 everywhere.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:02 AM   #10
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,107
Garage
This repair will likely double in cost as additional parts are bound to be recommended once the motor is dropped. Might be time to cut and run if you cannot repair it yourself.

__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster original owner. I installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST-2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
variocam sensor


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page