Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

Question Softronic Alternatives

Good Day All,

I've got a 02 986S I bought in 05. I've upgraded the engine with a 987 airbox, 76mm throttle body, IDP plenum, headers and high flow cats. Its been running a Softronic tune since 2015 and that works well.

Except, for one issue; The ODBII ready status is never set because of 2 Porsche codes:

P1126
Porsche fault code 356, mixture adapt, lower load range B. 1

P1133
Porsche fault code 358, mixture adapt, lower load range B. 2

Both occur at about an hour after a full reset. The O2 ready status are good to go.

This hasn't been a problem until last year. Every time I had an emissions check (eCheck) the ODBII fails and I had a tailpipe check. Unfortunately, that option is gone; Ohio has moved to an ODBII check only for eCheck. So, my tags expired.

I've been trying to get Softronic's attention on this since April this year (2020). I've emailed, called, left numerous messages but no response except for an initial email request for the codes. I've offered to pay for the help. I can't get anywhere with this.

I assume that either Softronic is no longer supporting customers or at least no longer interested in my business.

So, I'm looking for alternatives. Anyone have suggested for either:

- A company that can sort out the adaption code issue with the Softronic software

or

- An alternative software solution.

Many thanks for any advice,

Paul

mnracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
Maybe a dumb question.
what happens when you clear the code with a duramentric or something?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnracing View Post
Good Day All,

I've got a 02 986S I bought in 05. I've upgraded the engine with a 987 airbox, 76mm throttle body, IDP plenum, headers and high flow cats. Its been running a Softronic tune since 2015 and that works well.

Except, for one issue; The ODBII ready status is never set because of 2 Porsche codes:

P1126
Porsche fault code 356, mixture adapt, lower load range B. 1

P1133
Porsche fault code 358, mixture adapt, lower load range B. 2

Both occur at about an hour after a full reset. The O2 ready status are good to go.

This hasn't been a problem until last year. Every time I had an emissions check (eCheck) the ODBII fails and I had a tailpipe check. Unfortunately, that option is gone; Ohio has moved to an ODBII check only for eCheck. So, my tags expired.

I've been trying to get Softronic's attention on this since April this year (2020). I've emailed, called, left numerous messages but no response except for an initial email request for the codes. I've offered to pay for the help. I can't get anywhere with this.

I assume that either Softronic is no longer supporting customers or at least no longer interested in my business.

So, I'm looking for alternatives. Anyone have suggested for either:

- A company that can sort out the adaption code issue with the Softronic software

or

- An alternative software solution.

Many thanks for any advice,

Paul
Not surprised that you have emissions issues as the codes are for lean air fuel issues on both banks, P1126 is for an overly lean condition; and P1133 is for the same thing on the other bank. It looks like you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake system, which is causing your issues.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #4

Vacuum leak

I thought so too. I smoke tested the engine and couldn't find anything. Thinking it might be pressure related, I bumped up the smoke test to 3 PSI; same results.

It 's 70K miles with new plugs and coils and MAF.

Thanks Paul
Old 06-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #5

It clears and then returns after an hour or so. Its always small throttle opening and 35 - 50 MpH.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
It clears and then returns after an hour or so. Its always small throttle opening and 35 - 50 MpH.
Normally a high manifold vacuum situation; you have a leak.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #7

Leak

Since its not showing with a smoke test, any thoughts on where? Other than replacing the AOS, everything else has been checked and double checked.

Many thanks,
Paul
Old 06-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #8

Because it is on both banks, it has to be somewhere in the intake. Check your vacuum level at the oil fill cap, should not be more than 5 inches of water;with the engine fully warmed up. If it is higher, your AOS is leaking vacuum.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
I believe Softronic tuning mainly consists of leaning out the air/fuel mixture.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
Artist, 986S tinkerer

One way to test for intake leaks is to spray starter fluid around the intake joints with the motor idling. If the revs increase, you've found your leak.
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #11

Vacuum leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Because it is on both banks, it has to be somewhere in the intake. Check your vacuum level at the oil fill cap, should not be more than 5 inches of water;with the engine fully warmed up. If it is higher, your AOS is leaking vacuum.
Thanks, Normally I find these things with a smoke test. I have been avoiding the AOS wrestling match. I have a new one sitting here so that's an option.

I'm not a fan of throwing parts at problems, so I usually diagnose a far as possible.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I believe Softronic tuning mainly consists of leaning out the air/fuel mixture.
The data acquisition for tuning process is specific to the car. I don't know if the returned tune is specific but for mine there is a fairly significant difference in timing, particularly at lower/idle RPMS. The current physical engine configuration will not run with the stock Porsche tune and will blow out the cats with backfires.

The Softronic performance is very good.

Thanks
Paul
Old 06-26-2020, 06:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, Normally I find these things with a smoke test. I have been avoiding the AOS wrestling match. I have a new one sitting here so that's an option.

I'm not a fan of throwing parts at problems, so I usually diagnose a far as possible.
You can accurately test the AOS by measuring the case vacuum at the oil fil cap. An old oil cap, a barbed bulkhead fitting, a short length of vacuum line, and a digital manometer off Amazon creates a tool that will tell you what's what in about 5 min. without mussing your hair, and then you can test it anytime you want.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #14

Garage
+1
Built my manometer set up soon after car purchase just to keep a eye out for the AOS. Better to catch it before it fails completely. Also used to catch a intake clamp out of position.

Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
softronic