Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #1

986 - Is this normal engine noise?

It's a whining sound over all RPM's. You'll notice in the video it gets louder when rev'ing the engine, with and without the clutch engaged.

I've taken off the serpentine belt, and the noise persists. This normally wouldn't be an issue, but I've recognized this noise getting louder over the year I've have the car, and at this point it's loud to where the cabin noise becomes a nuisance. You only start hearing the exhaust engine roar once it hits 4-5K in RPM, but only due to the engine being louder than this whine. The whine is very loud near red-line.

I've replaced the air filter (much needed) but that didn't help. Any idea's?

https://youtu.be/7782cm--Ohs

dirpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
sounds dumb, and I am probably wrong, but check the spark plugs and make sure they are all seated. I actually had (much louder) noise and it was a loose sparkplug. I thought I had a slipping belt!
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Sorry to say but that sounds pretty normal to me. Maybe a little loud, but normal. That's exactly why I got a louder exhaust.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #4

Checked the spark plugs, they're all seated properly. I've checked everything I can think of, at this point I've decided to deal with it and purchased sound-deadening material to put between the inner engine cover and the carpeting. Oh and a new exhaust too.

It's scary that it's been getting louder over time, but everything checks out so there's not much I can do.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:19 PM   #5
Boxing in Australia

It is normal

Had.ny 2003 2.7 tip for four years, has always whined, I red a road test once that commented about the Boxster had he same whine as the old air cooled cars so gave up being concerned.
The local independent has serviced it every 12 months without commenting so I think it's a case of another endearing quality,

Cheers
Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:03 AM   #6

I have also chased the exact same whine on my 986 '97.
Have changed alternator, all three belt pullers and power steering pump. Still have the whine. Will check for loose plugs today. The whine is much higher than my exhaust, and I do not like it. Have a more noisy exhaust ordered, so hopefully that will be a better sound to listen to.
Geir Nordvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:54 AM   #7
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirpie View Post
It's a whining sound over all RPM's. You'll notice in the video it gets louder when revving the engine, with and without the clutch engaged.

https://youtu.be/7782cm--Ohs
One more for totally normal.
Carry on.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:20 AM   #8

Engine sound and movement

Sorry to hi-jack the thread... I have also a questions of the engine sound that am not certain of. It gives rather loud 'sucking' noice as I open the throttle from idle.

Then on same time I noticed rather odd lookin movement on the intake as I press loud pedal a bit - the intake runners move slightly away from each other and plenums raise up a bit same time.

Is these two above normal in your opinion? Car does not throw CEL and drives otherwise real well.

Then - another noice the patient shows, is a 'chirp' as I press the gas a bit from the idle. This chirp does not show except when I take off from standstill.

All above can be seen/heard on the video at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvbi7kjatak6611/Boxster%20986%202_7%20engine%20move%20and%20sound. MOV?dl=0
Old 06-07-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Sorry to hi-jack the thread... I have also a questions of the engine sound that am not certain of. It gives rather loud 'sucking' noice as I open the throttle from idle.

Then on same time I noticed rather odd lookin movement on the intake as I press loud pedal a bit - the intake runners move slightly away from each other and plenums raise up a bit same time.

Is these two above normal in your opinion? Car does not throw CEL and drives otherwise real well.

Then - another noice the patient shows, is a 'chirp' as I press the gas a bit from the idle. This chirp does not show except when I take off from standstill.

All above can be seen/heard on the video at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvbi7kjatak6611/Boxster%20986%202_7%20engine%20move%20and%20sound. MOV?dl=0
The chirp is a classic loose spark plug issue.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #10

I have been thinking that this whine in the 986/996 engines maybe comes from the cam chains and the tensioner rails/pads. This could explain that some cars whine more than others. I have read my engine with the the Durametric tester, and can see that I have 9 degrees deviation at bank 2. I would think that it means worn rail/pad/tensioner. Just an idea.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Fantastic. Will check the plugs first thing tomorrow! Thank you for this advice
Old 06-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Nordvik View Post
I have been thinking that this whine in the 986/996 engines maybe comes from the cam chains and the tensioner rails/pads. This could explain that some cars whine more than others. I have read my engine with the the Durametric tester, and can see that I have 9 degrees deviation at bank 2. I would think that it means worn rail/pad/tensioner. Just an idea.
That actually makes a bunch of sense, I'm wonder if anyone is doing engine work and at the same time check on this..
Old 06-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you tommy, the chirp is gone
One plug was very slightly 'not tight enough' and after going thru all plugs, car sounds as it should and runs again a tad better:dance:
Old 06-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:

What’s the word I’m thinking if? It’s validation, oh yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #15

Quick update, I bought sound deadening material and installed it between the carpet mats and inner head shield between the two seats. It reduced the engine "whine" noise dramatically, and since the exhaust noise comes out further down in the car, it didn't change the volume of the exhaust note. Here's a link if interested:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZ5X7KO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-15-2020, 10:15 PM   #16

Good tip!
I will do the same. Still, I want to hunt the reason for this noise. Thinking about taking out the engine this winter and change the chain rails and wear pads. They are parts that needs refreshment on my car anyway.