Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #1

Fire surpression procedure

I just installed this 2.5 lbs baby to replace the big 3 pounder that I carried around on the track. It will have Halon 12 in it

This got me thinking about proper fire suppression procedure for.....let's say engine bay. I am not sure I know the correct steps. I have seen a older 911 go up completely from the engine bay and it left an impression for sure. It was the kind of event that one had to almost run from.

For the engine bay I would get in the rear wheel well in front of the wheel and shoot up towards the fuel rails on either side. A big bottle may not even get in there; one should test this ahead of time.

That's all I have ....don't think it is good enough. Any thoughts?

Old 05-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #2

When these cars burn, it is almost always inside the engine bay, which you cannot quickly gain access to. On serious race cars, there is a halon bottle with lines running into both sides of the engine bay, where nozzles spay the gas in an optimum pattern to suppress the fire. Unfortunately, a hand held unit is almost useless against a fire in the engine bay.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #3

Thanks JFP, sobering for sure. Yes I was hoping that there was something one could apart from a fire suppression system fired from the cockpit. I guess we should all just make sure we don't have fuel leaks (what are critical inspection points?) or P/S fluid venting on top of the engine.

.....perhaps change over to electric P/S
Old 05-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #4

Garage
Have you seen the "Blazecut"? A hose placed on the inside of the engine hatch that bursts in case of a fire, releasing some kind of gas to put out the fire. I have been considering that one..
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Thanks JFP, sobering for sure. Yes I was hoping that there was something one could apart from a fire suppression system fired from the cockpit. I guess we should all just make sure we don't have fuel leaks (what are critical inspection points?) or P/S fluid venting on top of the engine.

.....perhaps change over to electric P/S
It isn't just fuel leaks, oil and hydraulic fluids are flammable as well, particularly when they get hot.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I have little to offer except for an opinion. If your engine compartment has a fire, get away from the car and let it burn until proper equipment and personnel arrive on the scene. That 2.5lb bottle? Use it for egress or to buy time for egress if you are ...delayed. The cost of the car is nothing compared to the cost of having your body burned.
Fire happens fast in cars. Here's an article from GRM: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/how-i-became-human-torch-and-survived/

Here's a video:
Escy posted some info on his build on this forum, but most of it is detailed elsewhere. Here's his video of the car burning.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Have you seen the "Blazecut"? A hose placed on the inside of the engine hatch that bursts in case of a fire, releasing some kind of gas to put out the fire. I have been considering that one..
Robert,

Thanks for this!!! I had not seen this at all. I will go do some research. When I get to Stockholm I will look you up and check out your installation.

The burst time is too long but looks very promising overall
Old 05-20-2020, 06:04 AM   #8

"Blazecut" is a conventional fire suppression system that uses a heat sensitive hose to release the Halon in the bottle rather than a simple driver pull cable .
Old 05-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
"Blazecut" is a conventional fire suppression system that uses a heat sensitive hose to release the Halon in the bottle rather than a simple driver pull cable .
Appears to be worth the ~$170

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iePku-2jh7Y
Old 05-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #10

I would agree. I plan to modify my engine cover to incorporate this....
Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #11

Having used remote fire system in the past, I would prefer manual control.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #12

For sure but I imagine the expense and installation requirements maybe prohibitive for a street car. Definitely would love a fire handle
Old 05-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #13

Garage
Thumbs up

@jaykay, I don't have the Blazecut, at least not yet. However if/when you go to Stockholm do look me up!!! I have some great twisty roads where you may testdrive my S!
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #14

Sounds good, will let you know!!! Thanks for the product information!
Old 05-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #15

Man that was sad to watch that Boxster go up in flames. Seemed like it took yrs for the fire dept to get there.

I use my clear glass engine cover on my CSS when I'm on the track. I figure the fire guys could whack it with an axe to get to the top of the engine.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #16
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have Halon in my 986 mounted to the front of the passenger seat, I always figured I would spray it through the side intake vents and hope the Halon does it's job in the enclosed space of the engine bay. If I tracked the car regularly a fire suppression system would probably be a good idea. That said, I don't think engine fires are all that common. The video above was someone that retrofitted an Audi V6 turbocharged engine, I think I have only heard of one stock 986 catching on fire.

These are Porsche's not Ferrari's, catching on fire is less of a concern.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
These are Porsche's not Ferrari's, catching on fire is less of a concern.
Or Corvettes - seen quite a few of them go up in flames unfortunately.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I have little to offer except for an opinion. If your engine compartment has a fire, get away from the car and let it burn until proper equipment and personnel arrive on the scene. That 2.5lb bottle? Use it for egress or to buy time for egress if you are ...delayed. The cost of the car is nothing compared to the cost of having your body burned.
Fire happens fast in cars. Here's an article from GRM: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/how-i-became-human-torch-and-survived/

Here's a video:
Escy posted some info on his build on this forum, but most of it is detailed elsewhere. Here's his video of the car burning.
Very sad video. One good takeaway is that they had more than ample time to get out.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #19

Yeah frustrating you just want to able to do something
Old 05-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #20

I wonder if a small piece of metal tubing could be installed in the rear trunk on the front wall . Maybe 3/4 " diameter and up high . You sense a fire/smoke you pull over and grab your extinguisher . As you exit the car you pop the trunk and place the nozzle of the extinguisher into the tube and empty it . Either the fire goes out or you walk away knowing you at least tried . A simple rubber plug would keep under hood dirt and grime from getting in the trunk . Crazy idea ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote