Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

Transmission mount change

Can anyone direct me to a good procedure for changing the transmission mounts? I did a quick search and came up empty. I ask as I am away from my car and am picking tools for various tasks and would like to come back with the right stuff.

I will be doing this with jack stands and a floor jack. I am hoping that all have been able to keep the rear up and avoid any alignment issue after removal of the triangle plate and braces. Did you have to drop the mid pipes.....? Ugh

Old 04-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #2

I don't have the answer for you, but did you come across Wayne's walk-through?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/36-TRANS-Tranny_Mounts/36-TRANS-Tranny_Mounts.htm
Old 04-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #3

Garage
Do one need a Wheel alignment after this operation? I would guess an alignment is called for if you have hade the big alu plate loose (Whatever itīs called)

If someone knows, please enlighten us.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:32 PM   #4

Thanks I did not! It looks like the mid pipes can stay in which is good! The triangle plate has to come off which I believe does not affect suspension. I can't tell if the diagonals have to be removed
Old 04-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Do one need a Wheel alignment after this operation? I would guess an alignment is called for if you have hade the big alu plate loose (Whatever itīs called)

If someone knows, please enlighten us.
It is OK to pull the plate and put it back on while the car is elevated.

As long as you don't drop the car onto the suspension with the plate off you should be fine alignment wise.
SPB #50

Last edited by MaxD; 04-30-2020 at 03:02 PM.
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #6

Jaykay, I replaced the transmission mounts before (987CS) and it is a straight forward (fairly simple) procedure, using the jack stands and the floor jack with a wooden pad between the jack and gearbox.

Upon installing the new mounts, I would suggest leaving all the hardware loose until both sides are centered, and remember that you do Not remove (or loose) the center big nut on the mount as the mount itself will be damaged.

PS: If you are interested, I have a set of the Rennline transmission mounts, the ones that have three different density rubber bushings for sale, that I removed from my (987CS)

Last edited by Gilles; 04-30-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post

As long as you don't drop the car onto the suspension with the plate off you should be fine alignment wise.
Great info, thanks!
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Jaykay, I replaced the transmission mounts before (987CS) and it is a straight forward (fairly simple) procedure, using the jack stands and the floor jack with a wooden pad between the jack and gearbox.

Upon installing the new mounts, I would suggest leaving all the hardware loose until both sides are centered, and remember that you do Not remove (or loose) the center big nut on the mount as the mount itself will be damaged.

PS: If you are interested, I have a set of the Rennline transmission mounts, the ones that have three different density rubber bushings for sale, that I removed from my (987CS)
Gilles,

Thanks for the info man! I wish we had a bit of embedded AI in this forum that tracks predicts the project plans of membership such that parts can change hands.......The Rennlines are exactly what I am putting in. How did you like them? What colour insert shall I go with first? The goal is better shifting. The mounts are original and the front was ripped so they are likely knackered.

Why did you remove yours...too harsh?
Old 04-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post

Thanks Max....really don’t want to be down on alignment when there is now where to go
Old 04-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #10

Support tranny, remove center nut on mount, remove 2 13mm bolts/nuts on top, remove. Install new. Maybe 45 min job once its up
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Gilles,

Thanks for the info man! I wish we had a bit of embedded AI in this forum that tracks predicts the project plans of membership such that parts can change hands.......The Rennlines are exactly what I am putting in. How did you like them? What colour insert shall I go with first? The goal is better shifting. The mounts are original and the front was ripped so they are likely knackered.

Why did you remove yours...too harsh?
Jaykay, I used the softest one, but don't remember the color... the softest inserts were a bit stiffer than the OEM's but not too much.

The reason I remove them is because sadly the car got totaled (t-boned..) and I removed most of the goodies before the insurance took the car away, like the FVD Brombacher Exhaust, KWV3 coilovers, OSGiken LSD, IPD plenum, sport steering wheel,etc., as these didn't fit on the 981 chassis (w/PDK..)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 AM   #12

I don't have the rennlines, but I do have the Wevo trans mount version. My tip is very similar to Gilles, when installing, don't tighten everything up until you get both sides on, and for me, that included the center nut. There is plenty of room to get a wrench up top to do what you need, and I think (but can't confirm) that I was able to get a torque wrench on everywhere.

I don't know which of the rennline inserts map to the default wevo, but I really liked the wevo. At idle, there is a little more vibration which my camera mounted to the BK bar would pick up, but once you are moving and off idle, it goes away. I bought a second set to put on my Cayman but haven't gotten to it yet, I may try to do it as a corona project
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:11 AM   #13

an in between option is the 993 RS engine mounts. They are solid rubber, but not quite wevo level stiffness.

You can get the Uro versions for like $100 bucks for the set.

I have them and have been quite pleased
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #14
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
You can also poly fill your own mounts for very cheap. I have a set like this. Function First all basically the same thing for low 5 times the price or more of doing it yourself.

edc is offline   Reply With Quote