Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 48
Need to reflash 996 Tune

Hello everyone. I am about to jump into doing the 987 Airbox swap and I will be pairing it with a 987 MAF Sensor, 997 Throttle Body, and the 997 T-Plenum. I will also be doing the secondary CAT Delete during this time. I understand that I will need a 996 tune. My question/misunderstanding is, I have a 2002 Boxster S. Do I get a 996 Tune from a 2002 996? And I was told I need a VIN number so the Independant Mechanic can flash the tune. Do I just find a 2002 996 VIN and we just get the access codes from Porsche? Itís a bit confusing.

hotdawwgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer
 
NewArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,661
The 996 changed its motronics to 7.8 in 2002 (2003 for the Boxster).
__________________
James
2004 986 S
987 air intake TB and plenum, Mantissport 2 litre sump, UDP, Bilstein B6 with H&R lowering spings, re71-rs for track, other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/12shoes2
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
The 996 changed its motronics to 7.8 in 2002 (2003 for the Boxster).
So basically a 2001 Tune shall work on my 2002, right?
hotdawwgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,990
I have a PST2 for sale, if you;d like to do the flash yourself.
I [i]might[i/] also have the rest of what you'll need for your planned mod, as well.

See this thread:
Maytag's Modified '03 S for Sale
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,095
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdawwgman View Post
Hello everyone. I am about to jump into doing the 987 Airbox swap and I will be pairing it with a 987 MAF Sensor, 997 Throttle Body, and the 997 T-Plenum. I will also be doing the secondary CAT Delete during this time. I understand that I will need a 996 tune. My question/misunderstanding is, I have a 2002 Boxster S. Do I get a 996 Tune from a 2002 996? And I was told I need a VIN number so the Independant Mechanic can flash the tune. Do I just find a 2002 996 VIN and we just get the access codes from Porsche? It’s a bit confusing.
You need the VIN number of the car that the DME came from so you can obtain the DME's password from Porsche's IPAS system (dealer will give you this if you are the owner). The PST-2 will allow you to load the 996 code, I would use the ROW version.
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster bought new. Installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Have driven them all the way the Dr intended...

Last edited by Paul; 04-27-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You need the VIN number of the car that the DME came from so you can obtain the DME's password from Porsche's IPAS system (dealer will give you this if you are the owner). The PST-2 will allow you to load the 996 code, I would use the ROW version.
Great to know. I am thinking I could use a 2001 996 VIN, since they are the same DME. Just need the tune and want the ROW tune.
hotdawwgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:20 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 459
For the record, the dealer in Birmingham AL flat refused to share the DME programming codes for my car. In fact the service manager was rather an ass about it. They lost a lot of my business over this issue.
So you might want to make sure your local dealer is on board with this, or find one that is.

BTW- Is there a more friendly dealer that anyone knows of in the southeastern US, or one that might be willing to provide IPAS DME programming codes by phone or email after sufficient verification of ownership?
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #8
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,095
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdawwgman View Post
Great to know. I am thinking I could use a 2001 996 VIN, since they are the same DME. Just need the tune and want the ROW tune.
If you are going to use your existing DME, you need your VIN. Each DME has a password that is listed by VIN on the IPAS system.

A 986 VIN does not keep one from loading a 996 flash. The PST-2 or PIWIS has all available factory flashes for all Porsches worldwide for the model years that each cover.
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster bought new. Installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Have driven them all the way the Dr intended...

Last edited by Paul; 04-28-2020 at 07:18 AM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
If you are going to use your existing DME, you need your VIN. Each DME has a password that is listed by VIN on the IPAS system.

A 986 VIN does not keep one from loading a 996 flash. The PST-2 or PIWIS has all available factory flashes for all Porsches worldwide for the model years that each cover.
Perfect! Thank you so much!!!! This helps me tremendously! I have a local Porsche Independent shop who is willing to assist with the reflash for free. He wants to know more as he is a retailer for IPD. When I shared with him what I was doing, he gave me the 997 Throttle Body and the T-Plenum in support of learning more. Once I get the 987 airbox and MAF installed, I will circle back with the results.

hotdawwgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page