Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

Newby needing help

Couldn't get windows to role up on my 97 986, as last resort I removed the relay for the convertible top and windows worked. Anyone have any idea what to check next, I am guessing its a switch having something to do with the top. If anyone else had this problem and was able to correct it, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks, great forum and excellent info.

rackets351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackets351 View Post
Couldn't get windows to role up on my 97 986, as last resort I removed the relay for the convertible top and windows worked. Anyone have any idea what to check next, I am guessing its a switch having something to do with the top. If anyone else had this problem and was able to correct it, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks, great forum and excellent info.
Did they roll up halfway but no further? Or didn't work at all?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

They didn't roll up at all, just clicked!
Old 02-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #4

I had this problem. Trying to rack my brain as to what was causing it.
I think I recall it being a fuse. Check the fuses correlated with the convertible top.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #5

Will check fuses!
Old 02-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #6

all fuses are good.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #7

Are you sure you're getting the relay back in all the way? That big thing takes a fair bit of force to pop in.
Any problems with the convertible top function? Or is it just the windows?
I definitely didn't replace any electrical parts when I was fussing with he '99 (the one that had the problem). I did have to replace a few fuses, though I don't remember which ones. I also recall having removed and replaced(not a new one) the convertible top relay for some reason. I probably sprayed the contacts with some QD contact cleaner, since that's my standard practice when removing electrical components. Maybe try that, then make sure it's really in there good.
I had a friend help me with some of the work on that car(his car now), but I don't think he was around when I did the electrical stuff. I'll ask him if he remembers anything about it. I apologize, I don't know why my memory is so fuzzy on the subject.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #8

Thanks for all the possibles, I'll check to make sure the relays all the way in, didn't really use much force to put it in last time.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #9

Checked relay, in tight, still preventing windows from raising, relay out - windows work fine. Is there any other source that might provide an answer, this is driving me crazy.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackets351 View Post
Checked relay, in tight, still preventing windows from raising, relay out - windows work fine. Is there any other source that might provide an answer, this is driving me crazy.
Try messing with the windows with the top in all of its orientations (up&clamped, unclamped, down). See if that changes anything.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #11

will try it. Just by chance does anyone happen to know the pin identification for the relay, figure I could test it to ensure it's good.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I've just glanced at this thread so far without taking time for the details. If you don't get it sorted out today, I'll have some time tomorrow to look through the factory service manual and see if I can find a troubleshooting sequence to help isolate the problem.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
There is troubleshooting for the top relay in the manual, but I haven't found anything similar for the window. Since removing the relay makes the windows work, give this a try. I found a copy of the info from the manual posted on Justanswer . com

Here's the link: https://www.justanswer.com/porsche/3vq2d-own-2004-boxster-s-the-top-will-not-go-down-when.html

It shows the pin assignments for the relay carrier and 11 steps to check operation with a multimeter.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #14

If the relay is suspect, try giving it a good smack against a hard surface. This has fixed several faulty relays for me.