Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #1

Driver Window not Dropping

New to this forum, look forward to the sharing of info. First off, I am having a problem with my driver's side window. Window just does not drop enough when trying to open the door. I have heard many reasons as to why and how this may occur with no real conclusive results. The microswitches are working (the window jiggles down a little when you engage the microswitch without opening the door and goes up when you release the handle), the window works under normal switch opeation and top operation, the window can be pushed down to correct positon to close door and once shut the window moves up. - Thanks in Advance!!!

no_substitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:04 AM   #2

2000 Boxster S with 22K

2000 Boxster S with 22K
Old 08-09-2006, 06:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_substitute
I have heard many reasons as to why and how this may occur with no real conclusive results.
The conjecture (lots of opinions on your issue) comes from the many components inside the door and all that the window does aside from go up and down when you want to get your cheeseburger and fries (that's usually why I put my driver's window down anyway!)

However, you've done a good job describing your problem. The console switch works, as does the microswitch in the door handle, and the motor works because you wrote that the window does function somewhat. This leaves the regulator, which is most probably your issue.

Another way to determine if the window regulator is worn out is to have a friend sit in your car and raise and lower the window with you standing outside looking at the distance between the rubber gasket and the glass at the front of the window and the back of the window when being raised. If the front or rear of the glass (front being closest to your front bumper and rear being closest to your rear bumper) is rising lopsided or crooked, your regulator has worn to the point of not working well.

A new regulator will set you back $150 or so (Sunset Imports, Oregon) and about 2 hours labor for a first-timer. I have not done this repair myself, but my Bentley manual shows how to do it and it does not look complicated. My mechanic did mine with some other work and only charged me an hour's labor to do it, but he does about half a dozen a week at his dealership job so he does it in his sleep.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #4

Mystery Piece of plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

Another way to determine if the window regulator is worn out is to have a friend sit in your car and raise and lower the window with you standing outside looking at the distance between the rubber gasket and the glass at the front of the window and the back of the window when being raised. If the front or rear of the glass (front being closest to your front bumper and rear being closest to your rear bumper) is rising lopsided or crooked, your regulator has worn to the point of not working well.
The window raises up and down with the window button normally. There appears to be no lopsided effect. When I push the window down to it normal drop postion and close the door, it raises to the correct position. The only part of the window not functioning correctly is the drop.
I have heard about some little white plastic piece inside the door that has a tendency to fail by developing a fracture. Have you heard about this mystery piece?

Last edited by no_substitute; 08-09-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:14 AM   #5

Ah, the small drop in the window when the door is opened is what's wrong, right? This could still be your regulator or the microswitch.

I don't know about any small plastic piece, but I'm sure there's a handful in the works inside your door.

I think your first course of action would be to remove the door panel for a visual inspection.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #6

Hi,

You need to Standardize your windows. Have you had any work done, disconnected the battery or such?

To standardize the windows you:
  • 1. Switch ignition on.
    2. Open door window completely by continuously actuating the power window operating button, and then close window. Press power window button until the window is closed and is switched off by the blockage detection function of the power window motor. Standardisation is then completed.

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:28 AM   #7

No Resolve

Yea, Thanks Jim - I have tried this step repeatedly with no resolve.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #8

Okay, I have been in the window regulator manufaturing business for about 13 years. I've been mostly dealing with North American domestic regulators.

Is this a sudden problem or one that has existed for ever?

If this has suddenly occurred here's what I can recommend you to do.

You will need to remove the door trim panel to allow you to see inside the door
The window regulator should be a 2 rail, cable and drum type. The motor will have a plastic drum housing that contains the cable drum that winds and unwinds the cable. The cable will feed into the drum housing in two places that will be approx. 180 degrees apart from each other. If you can see where the cable is fed into the drum housing you should also see that there are 2 springs that take up the cable slack. When you change direction you will see one side of the cable collapsing the spring and the other side of the cable having the spring move to extension. This is done to take up the natural slack and / or stretching of the cable. I suspect that you will see the side with the spring extension being > 25mm from the housing. BTW when you reverse your window the springs will switch from extension to compression and vice versa.

If you are seeing excessive spring extension then in all likelyhood the cable has either come off of one of the pullies, a plastic end piece has failed on one of the conduit ends or the cable assembly was built to long to begin with. For what ever reason what you are describing is an excess of free cable causing the cable drum to wind cable without causing the glass to move.

The glass drop function in the window regulator and the express up function are both controlled with a logic controller and hall effect sensors in the motor that send a signal to the controller allowing the controller to count the rotations of the motor armature. If you can detect time and speed of the motor then you should know position.

If you still have problems let me know. In the meantime i'll try to get you a picture of a Box W/R to highlite the areas I'd be looking at.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawfordt
The glass drop function in the window regulator and the express up function are both controlled with a logic controller and hall effect sensors in the motor that send a signal to the controller allowing the controller to count the rotations of the motor armature. If you can detect time and speed of the motor then you should know position.
Ahhh.... But you cannot simultaneously know an objects position AND momentum - Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle

YES! I got to use quantum physics today.... I think I'm going home now....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawfordt
Is this a sudden problem or one that has existed for ever?

If this has suddenly occurred here's what I can recommend you to do.
This happened very suddenly.
The detailed information about how the window regulator works, is this all window regulators or is this specific to our Boxster window regulators?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:57 AM   #11

Strawfordt: Window regulators in the 996 and 986 are evidently not made to the highest standards in the areas of durability. I've replaced my passenger side W/R, and I suspect a previous owner replaced the driver's side.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #12

Did you replace the regulator yourself or have a professional do the work? If self, how long did it take? Thanks.
Seminole_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #13

My mechanic did it, but next time one of them goes out, I'll do it myself... my Bentley manual in hand. After all, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #14

This is a good reference for the 986 DIYers:

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Ahhh.... But you cannot simultaneously know an objects position AND momentum - Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle

YES! I got to use quantum physics today.... I think I'm going home now....

Ahhhh... right you are. However, i said speed not momentum. The controller counts the time between the revolutions of the motor armature and determines speed.

For the record this is a general description of anti pinch window regulator technology.

I have never workedd on a Porsche project. I have direct experience with Fiat, Alfa, Lancia, Opel, GM, Ford, DCX & Honda. The technology for cable and drum W/R's is basically the same from all parts OEM's. Especially true if you have to control positon of the regulator. There are some other anti pinch technologies but they are not that common.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Strawfordt: Window regulators in the 996 and 986 are evidently not made to the highest standards in the areas of durability. I've replaced my passenger side W/R, and I suspect a previous owner replaced the driver's side.
Because of the glass drop feature during door openings and closings, the regulators typically see a lot of use. a normal front door system without the galss drop feature is designed for 25,000 full up and full down cycles. Other features of the vehicle tied to door opening and closing are requiring 100,000 + cycles before failure.

By the looking at the system design. I'd say that the part is manufactured by a best in class supplier. Too bad the class couldn't be better.

Tom
Old 08-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #17

I just had the driver's side window replaced and I noticed that it doesn't go up far enough. Maybe needs another 1/4 inch or so.

Is there a simple adjustment to this or will they need to take off the door panel.

I tried the "standardization" listed by MNBoxster and that didn't do anything.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #18

Did you ever get a solution to your window problem? I had the exact same problem and took it to the dealer. They said Window Regulator and fixed it. $604 mostly covered by my extended warranty.
slithern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #19

FOr some reason the exact same thing happened to my driver's side window today. THe window won't drop. passenger side works. When I open the door, I can hear the driver's side window wanting to drop but it wont.
The window operates normally otherwise. I'll try standardization but I want to clear up a few things.

FROM MNBoxster<<< 2. Open door window completely by continuously actuating the power window operating button, and then close window.

When you say "continuously actuating" do you mean press and hold the power window button on the center console?

<< Press power window button until the window is closed and is switched off by the blockage detection function of the power window motor. Standardisation is then completed.[/list]

What is the blockage detection function? This term is not in my manual.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #20

Driver's side Window

Ok... Here it goes. The window on the driver's side neither goes up/down by the switch at all. At this point it's in the up position but the lip of the top of the window does not allow it to close air tight. So this makes for a gap which air can get into. So here is my question is it the regulator ,motor, or the switch. I hear some kind of noise when I press the window switch up/down but that is it. Please some one shed a little on this. The boxster is a 1997. I read the instructions on how to replace the regulator but how do i know what is broke on it. Please any advice would be great

Last edited by clb0099; 11-19-2006 at 02:56 PM.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote