View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
RandallNeighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_substitute
I have heard many reasons as to why and how this may occur with no real conclusive results.
The conjecture (lots of opinions on your issue) comes from the many components inside the door and all that the window does aside from go up and down when you want to get your cheeseburger and fries (that's usually why I put my driver's window down anyway!)

However, you've done a good job describing your problem. The console switch works, as does the microswitch in the door handle, and the motor works because you wrote that the window does function somewhat. This leaves the regulator, which is most probably your issue.

Another way to determine if the window regulator is worn out is to have a friend sit in your car and raise and lower the window with you standing outside looking at the distance between the rubber gasket and the glass at the front of the window and the back of the window when being raised. If the front or rear of the glass (front being closest to your front bumper and rear being closest to your rear bumper) is rising lopsided or crooked, your regulator has worn to the point of not working well.

A new regulator will set you back $150 or so (Sunset Imports, Oregon) and about 2 hours labor for a first-timer. I have not done this repair myself, but my Bentley manual shows how to do it and it does not look complicated. My mechanic did mine with some other work and only charged me an hour's labor to do it, but he does about half a dozen a week at his dealership job so he does it in his sleep.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote