Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 AM   #1

Part found in engine oil cooler

Currently pulling apart bad engine from my "986 roller". When I removed the oil cooler, I found this part stuck inside. Already have a replacement used engine.

I'm hoping someone will recognize this "remnant" and give me some hints on what I will need to clean in the oil path before putting a different engine in the car.

It's non-magnetic if that helps. Also, the engine won't turn over, which isn't surprising. It was sold due to a hole in the case from where a chain tried to get out.

Thank you for your help.

-Eric (1999 986 5-speed Project)

Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

Garage
From the tiny picture on my phone, that looks like the remnant of a water pump vane. Check bearing play on the water pump. If it feels loose, it probably made contact inside and there is the result.
Tremonte986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-986 View Post
... give me some hints on what I will need to clean in the oil path before putting a different engine in the car.

It's non-magnetic if that helps. Also, the engine won't turn over, which isn't surprising. It was sold due to a hole in the case from where a chain tried to get out. ...
It looks familiar, but I can't quite place it. I'm guessing that it's rigid dark plastic? Probably part of a chain ramp. I'll take a look at a scrapped engine this evening and see if I can spot it. Not from the water pump.

As for the oil path, it should all be internal to the engine other then the filler tube and dipstick. I would recommend flushing the cooling system well anyway due to the possibility that some debris made it into some of the passages and circulated.

Last edited by 78F350; 02-03-2020 at 08:36 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

it ALMOST looks like the ring around the bottom of the oil-pickup?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #5

Garage
debris in oil cooler

I found similar black plastic in my oil cooler. Mine were in the coolant circuit and measured and found the thickness equal to the vanes on a pump impeller. Mine are of greater concern because they were in my replacement engine. Planning on flushing it while it's on the stand - waiting for a spring day!

BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
Who's askin'?

Hey Eric, lemme ask a different question: doesn't your replacement engine have an oil cooler on it? What are you concerned about cleaning-out?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #7

Maytag, I think I got ahead of myself. Sort of expected an oil cooler in the front bumper, but you guys straightened me out.

To be safe, I was going to put a new 3.2 oil cooler on the 2.5 when I install it.

If the piece was magnetic, to me it resembles a part of a valve spring washer, but it's aluminum or very hard plastic.

Thanks for pointing out it really doesn't matter, all oil stays in the engine!

-Eric
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-986 View Post
Maytag, I think I got ahead of myself. Sort of expected an oil cooler in the front bumper, but you guys straightened me out.

To be safe, I was going to put a new 3.2 oil cooler on the 2.5 when I install it.

If the piece was magnetic, to me it resembles a part of a valve spring washer, but it's aluminum or very hard plastic.

Thanks for pointing out it really doesn't matter, all oil stays in the engine!

-Eric
Perfect!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk