Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

Apex SM-10 wheels for Porsche

Hello all, anyone has experience with Apex SM-10 wheels? They're the only Porsche-specific wheels I've found with aggressive offsets (18x8.5" +42, 18x10" +36). There's a laundry list of features on top of that (lightweight, strong, warranty, use Porsche hardware, correct center bore, etc).

They have a group buy going on now and if enough people join price for a set comes out to $1,446 with free shipping. In the Porsche world that's a great deal for quality wheels.

Any experience with these? I'm almost sold - the only thing holding me back is the somewhat plain styling. Would love to see how they look on an 986 first.

Group buy: Apex wheels group buy

Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:45 AM   #2

I've got a set with those same exact offsets in Anthracite, I bought them before I even had my Cayman, but then I got a Cayman and I never got a chance to run them on my Boxster. I was thinking about picking up another set now that I saw the group buy going again, and this time going with the 18x9 front wheel option, which I didn't get the first time around because it wasn't listed as one of the fitments for the Boxster.

They look good in the photos, and in my opinion look better in person, and the styling does look very good in person, the i-beam spokes really seem to give it "depth" if that makes any sense.

I've probably got 10,000 miles on them, mostly highway driving to/from the track, and track driving, and so far they are doing great, even after several outings at bumpy tracks like Road Atlanta (curbs such as T3) and Sebring.

I've seen several other sets (on Caymans) and they have all been anthracite, which is the color I have, so I can't comment on the other colors. I don't like their silver, it seems too bright, but it does look good in these photos and probably looks really good in person too

My Boxster is still up on jack stands and probably won't be coming off anytime soon, certainly not before the end of this group buy, otherwise I would throw on those wheels and take a photo (but it would not be representative since I am running larger Cayman diameter tires)

Steve

Last edited by steved0x; 01-16-2020 at 04:48 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #3

Steve, I really like the look of these wheels, what size of tires are you using on them?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Steve, I really like the look of these wheels, what size of tires are you using on them?
Hankook R-S4
F: 245/40/18
R: 275/40/18

Car is lowered on Ohlins Road & Track
Old 01-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I actually love bright silver on black cars, but by themselves the anthracite wheels look better. For some reason these wheels in silver look a little busy. Still going with silver though.

I'll be running 235 front and 275 rear. Did you have any issues with rubbing? Any mods like excessive camber or fender rolling needed? I know yours is a Cayman but I think they're pretty close...
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Thanks for the info. I actually love bright silver on black cars, but by themselves the anthracite wheels look better. For some reason these wheels in silver look a little busy. Still going with silver though.

I'll be running 235 front and 275 rear. Did you have any issues with rubbing? Any mods like excessive camber or fender rolling needed? I know yours is a Cayman but I think they're pretty close...
I did actually have some rubbing both front at rear, but it was because the car was initially lowered too much (rubbing in back) and my front tires rubbed on the fender liner, because the shop that installed my GT3 LCA didn't use the offset hole in the center bushing.

With a stock suspension such OEM, M030, or even ROW M030, I don't think the lowering would be nearly enough to cause any rubbing.

Here is how much my car was lowered at first:

I do know that a friend of mine tried to run the OZ 18x10 wheel with a 275 on the 2000 Boxster and got some rubbing in the rear, lowered on H&R springs I believe. I don't know the offset of that wheel but on TireRack the common size seems to be ET40, so if that's true, the apex wheels are 4mm out further than this. I would check with him, swiftmotoring, and confirm the wheel and tire size he was running when he got his rubbing. I think he has some LCA for sale right now in the buy sell section with his phone number for text. [Edit - here is the thread with his contact info: RSS Tarmac Series 2 Piece Lower Control Arm Kit I think to solve he ultimately went to the 18x9 rear OZ wheel. The Cayman seems to be setup rear wheels that are pushed out a little further than the 986 Boxster) ]

Last edited by steved0x; 01-17-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:16 AM   #7

here's a pic of et34 w 275 on a 10" wheel, rears, m030 ride height, -2 camber:

wheel fitment question

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote