Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 06:11 AM   #1

AOS - 2 diff models - boot/no boot - which year is which?

Background: I bought a 2001 Boxster with check engine light. I traced it down to the bellows boot that slipped off. I reattached it but was surprised how small the mounting flange was on the engine side and no lip to help retain the hose clamp and boot. It was a Uro parts replacement. I resecured the boot and it came off again a week later.

I was ready to order a genuine Porsche replacement this morning but I am wondering if the previous owner installed the wrong style AOS. That would explain why it didnt seem to fit the boot very well.

Is 2001 with 2.7L supposed to be the AOS without the boot?

Vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtx531 View Post
Background: I bought a 2001 Boxster with check engine light. I traced it down to the bellows boot that slipped off. I reattached it but was surprised how small the mounting flange was on the engine side and no lip to help retain the hose clamp and boot. It was a Uro parts replacement. I resecured the boot and it came off again a week later.

I was ready to order a genuine Porsche replacement this morning but I am wondering if the previous owner installed the wrong style AOS. That would explain why it didnt seem to fit the boot very well.

Is 2001 with 2.7L supposed to be the AOS without the boot?
Are you using the worm drive clamp? Snug that thing down tight.

Are you using the spring clamp? You should.

Are you certain 100% the boot is attached? Feel around front and back and make sure the entire boot is seated on and against the flange.

Report back.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The 2001 engine should have a boot on bottom of the AOS. The '03 and '04 don't. Your engine may be a remanufactured engine. Does the Engine serial number have an "AT" in it? The remanufactured engines may have characteristics of the later engines.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Are you using the worm drive clamp? Snug that thing down tight.

Are you using the spring clamp? You should.

Are you certain 100% the boot is attached? Feel around front and back and make sure the entire boot is seated on and against the flange.

Report back.
Yes, using a screw clamp. The boot was all deformed though. Like cheap vinyl/rubber not good quality from Uro Parts. I had it on good but the boot was so out of shape so I think it came off because of that.

I ordered the genuine Porsche with the boot this morning. The spring clamp was 2 day extra wait for shipping so I am going with the screw clamp for now. Is that a bad decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The 2001 engine should have a boot on bottom of the AOS. The '03 and '04 don't. Your engine may be a remanufactured engine. Does the Engine serial number have an "AT" in it? The remanufactured engines may have characteristics of the later engines.
Not sure if it is reman I am away from home now. I think it was the right one with the bellows (screws on the side) so it must just be due to the poor quality from Uro parts.

I am discovering with this car on many issues that aftermarket parts will cause problems!! (Waterpump especially)
Old 09-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

I had to reuse the clamp from the Uro Parts AOS because the hose clamp (the the PO put on) was too wide. I was able to open up the spring clamp with pliers and put a ziptie on to keep it sprung open. Then I cut the ziptie off after it was installed.

Here is a picture of the two units side by side. You can see the Uro Parts boot is all mishapen and stretched out. Maybe the rubber material they use doesn’t react well to oil.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtx531 View Post
Yes, using a screw clamp. The boot was all deformed though. Like cheap vinyl/rubber not good quality from Uro Parts. I had it on good but the boot was so out of shape so I think it came off because of that.

I ordered the genuine Porsche with the boot this morning. The spring clamp was 2 day extra wait for shipping so I am going with the screw clamp for now. Is that a bad decision?

Not sure if it is reman I am away from home now. I think it was the right one with the bellows (screws on the side) so it must just be due to the poor quality from Uro parts.

I am discovering with this car on many issues that aftermarket parts will cause problems!! (Waterpump especially)

The full name of the company is U Replace Often. I bought one of their lower control arms & the locating bushings failed after 50 miles to make it worse Pelican Parts refused to replace or refund it.