Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,520
Maximum Storage Duration.....

.....with gas in the tank and fuel system

Well it's confession time. I have been away from home for work reasons and here it is.....have not revived the Boxster from its winter hibernation. Yeah.

I don't think I will be at home long enough to run the car in the next two months for any appreciable time. It will be a year of sitting at the end of October. Can I safely, let it sit for another six months or it is necessary to run the car and prep for storage again.

-the car clean and covered
-fuel stabilized
-Ctek on battery
-tires at 50psi

I do have facility to:
-turn the engine over on the starter in the future, periodically
-jack and rotate wheels to redistribute bearing loads and lubricant

I'll be out of the country when storage time comes about...

__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
.....with gas in the tank and fuel system

Well it's confession time. I have been away from home for work reasons and here it is.....have not revived the Boxster from its winter hibernation. Yeah.

I don't think I will be at home long enough to run the car in the next two months for any appreciable time. It will be a year of sitting at the end of October. Can I safely, let it sit for another six months or it is necessary to run the car and prep for storage again.

-the car clean and covered
-fuel stabilized
-Ctek on battery
-tires at 50psi

I do have facility to:
-turn the engine over on the starter in the future, periodically
-jack and rotate wheels to redistribute bearing loads and lubricant

I'll be out of the country when storage time comes about...
Can you put it on 4 jack stands and get the tires off the ground? I'd be more worried about flat spots on the tires than the wheel bearings. But then again I have little experience in long-term storage for vehicles other than my fire truck.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,193
Garage
Did you change the oil before putting it into storage?

If you did, I would leave it in storage, unless you have time to drive it and put it back into storage properly. Idling is worse than leaving it off, you need to drive it to normal operating temps for 20-30 minutes.
If you didn't, I would definitely do an oil change now and put it back into storage.

Here is a fantastic guide to taking the 986 out of storage, and how to get things circulating before you start it up for the first time: Time to Wake Up...

For the suspension, it couldn't hurt to roll the car onto a new section of tire, but you don't want to leave the suspension "unsprung."
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com

Last edited by rick3000; 09-15-2019 at 06:44 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:13 AM   #4
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
but you don't want to leave the suspension "unsprung."
Exactly.

If you're going to use jack stands, put them under the LCAs as close to the wheel as possible. Use a small piece of wood as a cushion between the stands and the LCAs.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,520
I have the tires at 50 psi and on foam pads. I can jack and rotate each wheel so the load through it is different

I can spin the engine on the starter or via the crank pulley?

I was most concerned about the fuel sitting in there for over a year
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks

Last edited by jaykay; 09-16-2019 at 08:21 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 244
I stored mine when we moved in my trailer, strapped down, for over a year. Pulled it out, changed the battery (it was going before I stored it), checked fluids, and started it. Rattled for a couple of moments, then quieted down. No issues whatsoever.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,520
This sounds encouraging. More anecdotes? Yes non ethanol stabilized fuel can last any where from one to three years, but I will be right in the middle of that when I fire it.

Anyone done 1.5 years in climate with winter and summer?

Is opening the cap and adding more stabilizer on top after this long worth it...I guess it all vented anyway
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #8
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Did you change the oil before putting it into storage?

If you did, I would leave it in storage, unless you have time to drive it and put it back into storage properly. Idling is worse than leaving it off, you need to drive it to normal operating temps for 20-30 minutes.
If you didn't, I would definitely do an oil change now and put it back into storage.

Here is a fantastic guide to taking the 986 out of storage, and how to get things circulating before you start it up for the first time: Time to Wake Up...

For the suspension, it couldn't hurt to roll the car onto a new section of tire, but you don't want to leave the suspension "unsprung."
Thanks for the link!
Yes of course always new oil in before storing. Yes below I said jack a rotate when I should have said jack and spin the wheels so that the load path changes the wheel. I think this be easier than rolling the whole car
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Can you put it on 4 jack stands and get the tires off the ground? I'd be more worried about flat spots on the tires than the wheel bearings. But then again I have little experience in long-term storage for vehicles other than my fire truck.
I have the tires at 50 psi and on foam pads....will shoot a pic when I get back home
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Anyone done 1.5 years in climate with winter and summer?
My experience wasn't quite Toronto winter, but it was a Colorado summer, winter, summer, in a black trailer. April 2018 - August 2019.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 830
Garage
No problem; long as oil is new; I would put chock blocks and release the parking brake so as to mitigate the shoes sticking to rotors.
__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,520



Finally back home for a day or so. Here is my tire saving system.
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #13
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post



Finally back home for a day or so. Here is my tire saving system.
Nice. That does the trick? I'll have to try it because if my Boxster sits for even 2 weeks, it rides a little bumpy until the tires get back into round. Where did you get the foam pads?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Nice. That does the trick? I'll have to try it because if my Boxster sits for even 2 weeks, it rides a little bumpy until the tires get back into round. Where did you get the foam pads?
Looks like pink insulation from Home Depot, 1" thick, cut to size.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #15
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Looks like pink insulation from Home Depot, 1" thick, cut to size.
Yeah, it does! Thanks!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #16
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,520
Yes it is! With tires also pumped to 50 for long stints tires stay silky smooth.

The foam pads deform rather than the tire against concrete
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Peoria Heights,IL
Posts: 38
I think on mine I'm going to leave the tires on it not jack it up and mark one of my tires with a piece of chalk then every month rotate it 1/4 turn say forward and if I make it 6 turns forward(which is about the time it will be in storage )then I'm gtg....And if i can't move forward 6 times then i will start back the other way to finish.
Besides bumping up the tire pressures a little.
__________________
99 Roadster base / 5 SP Tiptronic
18" Turbo Twist wheels / Arctic silver W/Black leather Int
Rear wing W/Brake light / 47,000 miles
Side skirts / Bought from original owner

Last edited by 99Roadster; 10-06-2019 at 05:50 AM.
99Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 830
Garage
During storage for 5 - 6 months, i air up my tires to 50psi on concrete no issues (flat spot) during spring
__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Peoria Heights,IL
Posts: 38
Hey Ciao how do you like that front bra on your P-Car looks nice....I have never had one but I bet it sure would look nice with a black one on my arctic silver P-Car also.

I hear that they might flap in the wind and beat the heck out of your paint....Let me know what you think!
__________________
99 Roadster base / 5 SP Tiptronic
18" Turbo Twist wheels / Arctic silver W/Black leather Int
Rear wing W/Brake light / 47,000 miles
Side skirts / Bought from original owner
99Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 830
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Roadster View Post
Hey Ciao how do you like that front bra on your P-Car looks nice....I have never had one but I bet it sure would look nice with a black one on my arctic silver P-Car also.

I hear that they might flap in the wind and beat the heck out of your paint....Let me know what you think!
I like it! I use only during the summer and take it off during the fall.
Before I install it I wax/polish the P-Car to prevent it from flapping or any scratches. I also ensure all the hooks/attachments are on tight. If you noticed I have the mirror bras also.

The bra protects the front end and prevents any rocks and debris from scratches.
So far, so good!

__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page