986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Maximum Storage Duration..... (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/76212-maximum-storage-duration.html)

jaykay 09-15-2019 03:01 PM

Maximum Storage Duration.....

.....with gas in the tank and fuel system

Well it's confession time. I have been away from home for work reasons and here it is.....have not revived the Boxster from its winter hibernation. Yeah. :eek::eek:

I don't think I will be at home long enough to run the car in the next two months for any appreciable time. It will be a year of sitting at the end of October. Can I safely, let it sit for another six months or it is necessary to run the car and prep for storage again.

-the car clean and covered
-fuel stabilized
-Ctek on battery
-tires at 50psi

I do have facility to:
-turn the engine over on the starter in the future, periodically
-jack and rotate wheels to redistribute bearing loads and lubricant

I'll be out of the country when storage time comes about...

piper6909 09-15-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 603236)
.....with gas in the tank and fuel system

Well it's confession time. I have been away from home for work reasons and here it is.....have not revived the Boxster from its winter hibernation. Yeah. :eek::eek:

I don't think I will be at home long enough to run the car in the next two months for any appreciable time. It will be a year of sitting at the end of October. Can I safely, let it sit for another six months or it is necessary to run the car and prep for storage again.

-the car clean and covered
-fuel stabilized
-Ctek on battery
-tires at 50psi

I do have facility to:
-turn the engine over on the starter in the future, periodically
-jack and rotate wheels to redistribute bearing loads and lubricant

I'll be out of the country when storage time comes about...

Can you put it on 4 jack stands and get the tires off the ground? I'd be more worried about flat spots on the tires than the wheel bearings. But then again I have little experience in long-term storage for vehicles other than my fire truck.

rick3000 09-15-2019 05:41 PM

Did you change the oil before putting it into storage?

If you did, I would leave it in storage, unless you have time to drive it and put it back into storage properly. Idling is worse than leaving it off, you need to drive it to normal operating temps for 20-30 minutes.
If you didn't, I would definitely do an oil change now and put it back into storage.

Here is a fantastic guide to taking the 986 out of storage, and how to get things circulating before you start it up for the first time: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4954-time-wake-up.html

For the suspension, it couldn't hurt to roll the car onto a new section of tire, but you don't want to leave the suspension "unsprung."

piper6909 09-16-2019 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 603245)
but you don't want to leave the suspension "unsprung."

Exactly.

If you're going to use jack stands, put them under the LCAs as close to the wheel as possible. Use a small piece of wood as a cushion between the stands and the LCAs.

jaykay 09-16-2019 07:11 PM

I have the tires at 50 psi and on foam pads. I can jack and rotate each wheel so the load through it is different

I can spin the engine on the starter or via the crank pulley?

I was most concerned about the fuel sitting in there for over a year

ianacole 09-17-2019 08:07 AM

I stored mine when we moved in my trailer, strapped down, for over a year. Pulled it out, changed the battery (it was going before I stored it), checked fluids, and started it. Rattled for a couple of moments, then quieted down. No issues whatsoever.

jaykay 09-18-2019 06:33 PM

This sounds encouraging. More anecdotes? Yes non ethanol stabilized fuel can last any where from one to three years, but I will be right in the middle of that when I fire it.

Anyone done 1.5 years in climate with winter and summer?

Is opening the cap and adding more stabilizer on top after this long worth it...I guess it all vented anyway

jaykay 09-18-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 603245)
Did you change the oil before putting it into storage?

If you did, I would leave it in storage, unless you have time to drive it and put it back into storage properly. Idling is worse than leaving it off, you need to drive it to normal operating temps for 20-30 minutes.
If you didn't, I would definitely do an oil change now and put it back into storage.

Here is a fantastic guide to taking the 986 out of storage, and how to get things circulating before you start it up for the first time: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4954-time-wake-up.html

For the suspension, it couldn't hurt to roll the car onto a new section of tire, but you don't want to leave the suspension "unsprung."

Thanks for the link!
Yes of course always new oil in before storing. Yes below I said jack a rotate when I should have said jack and spin the wheels so that the load path changes the wheel. I think this be easier than rolling the whole car

jaykay 09-18-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 603243)
Can you put it on 4 jack stands and get the tires off the ground? I'd be more worried about flat spots on the tires than the wheel bearings. But then again I have little experience in long-term storage for vehicles other than my fire truck.

I have the tires at 50 psi and on foam pads....will shoot a pic when I get back home

ianacole 09-19-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 603440)
Anyone done 1.5 years in climate with winter and summer?

My experience wasn't quite Toronto winter, but it was a Colorado summer, winter, summer, in a black trailer. April 2018 - August 2019.

Ciao 09-19-2019 05:04 PM

No problem; long as oil is new; I would put chock blocks and release the parking brake so as to mitigate the shoes sticking to rotors.

jaykay 09-22-2019 11:23 AM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1569180039.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1569180128.jpg

Finally back home for a day or so. Here is my tire saving system.

piper6909 09-22-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 603687)

Nice. That does the trick? I'll have to try it because if my Boxster sits for even 2 weeks, it rides a little bumpy until the tires get back into round. Where did you get the foam pads?

ianacole 09-23-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 603696)
Nice. That does the trick? I'll have to try it because if my Boxster sits for even 2 weeks, it rides a little bumpy until the tires get back into round. Where did you get the foam pads?

Looks like pink insulation from Home Depot, 1" thick, cut to size.

piper6909 09-23-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianacole (Post 603720)
Looks like pink insulation from Home Depot, 1" thick, cut to size.

Yeah, it does! Thanks!

jaykay 09-27-2019 05:59 PM

Yes it is! With tires also pumped to 50 for long stints tires stay silky smooth.

The foam pads deform rather than the tire against concrete

99Roadster 10-05-2019 04:38 PM

I think on mine I'm going to leave the tires on it not jack it up and mark one of my tires with a piece of chalk then every month rotate it 1/4 turn say forward and if I make it 6 turns forward(which is about the time it will be in storage )then I'm gtg....And if i can't move forward 6 times then i will start back the other way to finish.
Besides bumping up the tire pressures a little.

Ciao 10-06-2019 01:25 PM

During storage for 5 - 6 months, i air up my tires to 50psi on concrete no issues (flat spot) during spring

99Roadster 10-13-2019 07:12 AM

Hey Ciao how do you like that front bra on your P-Car looks nice....I have never had one but I bet it sure would look nice with a black one on my arctic silver P-Car also.

I hear that they might flap in the wind and beat the heck out of your paint....Let me know what you think!

Ciao 10-13-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99Roadster (Post 604981)
Hey Ciao how do you like that front bra on your P-Car looks nice....I have never had one but I bet it sure would look nice with a black one on my arctic silver P-Car also.

I hear that they might flap in the wind and beat the heck out of your paint....Let me know what you think!

I like it! I use only during the summer and take it off during the fall.
Before I install it I wax/polish the P-Car to prevent it from flapping or any scratches. I also ensure all the hooks/attachments are on tight. If you noticed I have the mirror bras also.

The bra protects the front end and prevents any rocks and debris from scratches.
So far, so good!