Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Metallic grinding sound when braking.

Back in February 2017, I put new EBC Redstuff ceramic brake pads and Centric C-TEK drilled rotors on my car. I have always had a metallic grinding sound when braking since I installed them.

When I put them on I did not install the front brake pad dampening plates or the rear brake pad shims, nor where there any on the the car when I took out the old brake pads and rotors, the rotors actually looked like factory installed rotors and only the pads had been changed on the car as the lip on the rotor was starting to cut into the break wear indicator. Could not using the dampening plates and shims be the reason for the metallic grinding sound when braking or is it the pad/rotor combination I put on the car?

Right now my rotors and pads look great. The rotors look like no wear has been put on them, no edge on the rotor at all and the pads are still pretty thick. I've only put around 5,700 miles on the car since I put on the pads and rotors on.

I have just put up with the sound as the car stops excellent, but it's starting to wear on me to the point I want to address it. What do you all think I need to do to address this?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Racer Boy

If you want quiet braking, put regular street pads on the car.

I used the EBC Reds for a short while (until I figured out that they were completely inadequate for track driving), and while they were slightly noisy, I didn't think they were that bad. Like taste in music, tolerance to brake noise is a subjective thing.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
If you want quiet braking, put regular street pads on the car.

I used the EBC Reds for a short while (until I figured out that they were completely inadequate for track driving), and while they were slightly noisy, I didn't think they were that bad. Like taste in music, tolerance to brake noise is a subjective thing.
It's not horrible, I've put up with it for 2 years now lol, but it is just more noise then normal. EBC says they are for street use, but if this is what's causing the noise, I may change them. Really hate to give up the excellent stopping performance :ah: and was hoping it was the front balancing plates and rear shims for the pads that might clear it up.

Recommended street pads that will give good stopping performance and no noise?
Old 05-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #4

The EBC Redstuff has an anti-squeal pad on the back, so even without the stock shims I wouldn't expect to hear a grinding. I ran them for a good bit and didn't get any metallic grinding on stopping. My first choice for brake grinding is the rotor shields, as it is easy to bend them when working under there, and if they touch the rotor it makes a sound just like you describe, but that would be constant, unless the rotor is somehow moving laterally, like if a wheel bearing was bad, but I think you just replaced those too. So I got nothing...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
Who's askin'?

I've used EBC reds on MANY cars over the last several years. They're my choice for street pads, because they're ceramic.... making dust a non-issue. And they've ALWAYS made a grinding noise, more if you don't follow the bed-in directions. And less once they're warm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
The EBC Redstuff has an anti-squeal pad on the back, so even without the stock shims I wouldn't expect to hear a grinding. I ran them for a good bit and didn't get any metallic grinding on stopping. My first choice for brake grinding is the rotor shields, as it is easy to bend them when working under there, and if they touch the rotor it makes a sound just like you describe, but that would be constant, unless the rotor is somehow moving laterally, like if a wheel bearing was bad, but I think you just replaced those too. So I got nothing...
I have not replaced the bearings yet, still waiting on some items to arrive, should have everything this Saturday, except the torque wrench, but it should be here by the time I'm ready to torque the axle nuts down. Maybe that will help some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I've used EBC reds on MANY cars over the last several years. They're my choice for street pads, because they're ceramic.... making dust a non-issue. And they've ALWAYS made a grinding noise, more if you don't follow the bed-in directions. And less once they're warm.
This is good information on the grinding noise with the EBC RedStuff pads. I did the bed-in properly. I really do like the stopping power of my car and the lesser dusting is a plus too. Guess I'll have to weigh benefit of quiet braking against losing some stopping power.